PDA

View Full Version : The Coupe...

KenL
29th November 2010, 02:07 PM
new here...

http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/11/29/mini-coupe-update-get-ready-for-the-ultimate-mini/#more-14334

euan
29th November 2010, 02:42 PM
Interesting looks, though it should be a cracking bit of kit. A GP version of this would be something else!

I was going to say it's not very practical, but I never really took anyone in the back of mine anyway so would probably have got away with it.

Mon the fish
29th November 2010, 02:44 PM
If they go a bit mental with this (Challenge bits as rumoured, over 230bhp stock), this may be the one reason to tempt me away from R53's. For the money they'll charge though, a lightly used 135 may be a better bet - lots of scope for power with one of them

N16SHP
29th November 2010, 02:46 PM
As we have seen before, it is just truely stunning!!!

KenL
29th November 2010, 03:11 PM
Yes, it is very tempting. I can live without rear seats but I would need to be able to get my golf clubs in the boot somehow.

N16SHP
29th November 2010, 03:27 PM
Yes, it is very tempting. I can live without rear seats but I would need to be able to get my golf clubs in the boot somehow.

I think the couple could actually have a bigger boot and may work in your favour!!

Forbes
29th November 2010, 03:32 PM
Want!!!

Bazthemod
29th November 2010, 03:56 PM
What you have seen so far is 75% true to final production.

The lights should be interesting and the different front and rear aprons. ;)

ELFMAN
29th November 2010, 05:31 PM
This is all a bit 'old hat' or with the roof design (which I still think looks a WEE bit awkward) - 'Old Baseball Cap'. There have been loads of Coupe pics floating around for ages.

Overall, despite my roofline reservations (hopefully the roof can be specified in something other than Silver...), I like it and I'm sure it'll be a cracking drive, but it'll probably come at a not-so-cracking price.

I don't even think you'd need a 'GP' version - with the weight-saving, chassis dynamics and the 'cooking' JCW engine (which, if required, is shooty-in to get wads of power from), it could arguably be the most accomplished MINI yet, but I wonder if MINI would dare spec it with non-runflats as they do with their 'M' cars for that 'ultimate driving machine' status? Or will they still play safe... unless of course you're on a greasy lumpy road.

Gismo
29th November 2010, 05:37 PM
Yep, agree with the Elfmeister, i likey the coupe

Stewart
29th November 2010, 05:37 PM
That White roadster looks the dogs, these thing will be a nice change as they will be rare on the road.

Fartin Martin
29th November 2010, 06:00 PM
SERVERLY EXCITED!!! kinda tempted by the coupe..but want a roadster DEFFOS this time! :D

Hogman
29th November 2010, 08:13 PM
It just doesnt look right to my design eye!! Not one for me, I do like the concept but it just looks wrong!

I will look forward to the Roadster and seeing pics of that

KenL
29th November 2010, 08:39 PM
This is all a bit 'old hat' or with the roof design (which I still think looks a WEE bit awkward) - 'Old Baseball Cap'. There have been loads of Coupe pics floating around for ages.

Overall, despite my roofline reservations (hopefully the roof can be specified in something other than Silver...), I like it and I'm sure it'll be a cracking drive, but it'll probably come at a not-so-cracking price.

I don't even think you'd need a 'GP' version - with the weight-saving, chassis dynamics and the 'cooking' JCW engine (which, if required, is shooty-in to get wads of power from), it could arguably be the most accomplished MINI yet, but I wonder if MINI would dare spec it with non-runflats as they do with their 'M' cars for that 'ultimate driving machine' status? Or will they still play safe... unless of course you're on a greasy lumpy road.

Hi Elfman,

Is there no new info in this article? I thought there was a few things updated.

On the runflats, you are behind the times :smilewinkgrin:. Runflats are now a cost option on all MINIs :thumbs up:

MungoUSA
30th November 2010, 12:46 AM
I like the looks of the Coupe. Can't wait to see it in person. It will probably kill the Convertible as the Countryman will kill the Clubman.

AndyP & Lenore
30th November 2010, 12:55 AM
Love the look of the Coupe. Love it love it love it.:yes nod:

Our next MINI was going to be the Roadster which we've hankered after for a year or so since the first pics appeared. But an impending new arrival may scupper that plan.:blush:

A.:D

N16SHP
30th November 2010, 03:43 PM
I have been studying the Coupe, and although I think its really nice, i've decided the only part I don't like about it is the overhang off the back of the roof. I know the Mini's were designed to have a 'Floating Roof' but I think they possibly should of just ran it flush in the Coupe! Thoughts?

KenL
14th December 2010, 07:36 PM
Coming soon by the looks of it: http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/12/14/first-mini-coupe-being-built-today/

AndyP & Lenore
14th December 2010, 08:38 PM
Mods - could we PLEASE stay on topic?

14 (including this one) out of 32 posts are not about the car but impending babies, kitties, dogs etc...........................

Thread cleaned up.

A.

The Dogfather
14th December 2010, 09:23 PM
The thread didn't need cleaning up completely, people personal's situations will directly influence if they go for the Coupe/Roadster or not.

I'm interested in it but it'll depend on price, i.e. not a massive premium over the hatch, and the size of the boot. i.e. can you get two dogs in there. We don't need back seats so who knows this could be ideal.

AndyP & Lenore
14th December 2010, 09:28 PM
The thread didn't need cleaning up completely, people personal's situations will directly influence if they go for the Coupe/Roadster or not.

I'm interested in it but it'll depend on price, i.e. not a massive premium over the hatch, and the size of the boot. i.e. can you get two dogs in there. We don't need back seats so who knows this could be ideal.

I only removed the posts discussing our impending arrival. Honest.

"Size of the boot????" Surely you wouldn't put the dogs "in the boot." Or am I getting confused? again.

A.

Edit: Just looked at the Motoring File pics of the Coupe and Roadster concept and there's nowhere for a dog. Surely.:confused:

The Dogfather
14th December 2010, 10:05 PM
The Coupe is a hatchback with no rear seats so potentially there's enough room in the back. The Z4 coupe would fit 1 dog in easily, the problem is I have two....

The Dogfather
14th December 2010, 10:15 PM
I only removed the posts discussing our impending arrival. Honest.

Sorry Andy, wasn't meant as a dig just saying that the fact that you now have a dog, will influence whether you went for one of these.

Stewart
21st June 2011, 05:30 PM
Prices

MINI Cooper Coupé
£16,640
MINI Cooper S Coupé
£19,775
MINI Cooper SD Coupé
£20,510
MINI John Cooper Works Coupé
£23,795

MINI John Cooper Works Coupé:
Four-cylinder petrol engine with twin-scroll turbocharger and direct injection, plus numerous technological details carried over directly from motorsport.
Displacement: 1,598 cc
Output: 211 hp /155 kW at 6,000 rpm
Max torque: 260 Nm/192 lb-ft at 1,850 – 5,600 rpm
(280 Nm/207 lb-ft with Overboost at 2,000 – 5,100 rpm)
Acceleration: 0–62 mph: 6.4 seconds
Top speed: 149 mph
Average fuel consumption (combined cycle): 39.8 mpg
CO2 emissions: 165 g/km

MINI Cooper S Coupé:
Four-cylinder petrol engine with twin-scroll turbocharger and direct injection.
Displacement: 1,598 cc,
Output: 184 hp /135 kW at 5,500 rpm,
Max torque: 240 Nm/177 lb-ft at 1,600 – 5,000 rpm
(260 Nm/192 lb-ft with Overboost at 1,700 – 4,500 rpm)
Acceleration: 0–62 mph: 6.9 seconds,
Top speed: 143 mph
Average fuel consumption (combined cycle): 48.7 mpg
CO2 emissions: 136 g/km

MINI Cooper SD Coupé:
Four-cylinder turbodiesel with aluminium crankcase, common-rail injection and variable turbine geometry.
Displacement: 1,995 cc
Output: 143 hp /105 kW at 4,000 rpm
Max torque: 305 Nm/225 lb-ft at 1,750 – 2,700 rpm
Acceleration: 0–62 mph: 7.9 seconds
Top speed: 134 mph
Average fuel consumption (combined cycle): 65.7 mpg
CO2 emissions: 114 g/km

MINI Cooper Coupé:
Displacement: 1,598 cc
Output: 122 hp/ 90 kW at 6,000 rpm
Max torque: 160 Nm/118 lb-ft at 4,250 rpm
Acceleration: 0–62 mph: 9.0 seconds
Top speed: 127 mph
Average fuel consumption (combined cycle): 52.3 mpg
CO2 emissions: 127 g/km

Exterior dimensions :
Length: 3,728 millimetres (MINI Cooper Coupé)
3,734 millimetres (MINI Cooper S and Cooper SD Coupé)
3,730 millimetres (MINI John Cooper Works Coupé)
Width: 1,683 millimetres (1892 millimetres including door mirrors)
Height: 1,378 millimetres (MINI Cooper S Coupé)
1,384 millimetres (MINI John Cooper Works Coupé)
Wheelbase: 2,467 millimetres

http://www.ausmotive.com/2011/06/21/official-mini-coupe-photos-and-specifications.html#more-5358

GCA3N
21st June 2011, 06:10 PM
Good info Stewart.:thumbs up:

KenL
21st June 2011, 06:38 PM
Yes, thanks.

Also, loads more info and pics on the motoringfile site.

I am looking forward to seeing this. Doubt my golf clubs will fit which will prevent me from buying one. If they do, I could be tempted by a lightly specced Cooper.

Stewart
21st June 2011, 11:55 PM
I thought this would only be in a "works" or "S". Big question is what does a Cooper one look like without all the kit.

The Dogfather
22nd June 2011, 06:30 AM
Its ugly as sin. I could have done a better job.

Its competing against these two stunners: -

http://www.carpages.co.uk/peugeot/peugeot-images/peugeot-rcz-15-10-09.jpg

http://static.motorstop.asia/blog/images/audi-tt-2011.jpg

That's two pig ugly cars that MINI have launched in quick succession, what were they thinking?

Mon the fish
22nd June 2011, 07:19 AM
^^ this. It's as ugly as sin. The back end looks like it was designed by a 5 year old with crayons - the roofline doesn't match the bootline. No way I would have it over the RCZ

plus numerous technological details carried over directly from motorsport.

This just makes me laugh. I'd love to know more precise details of this 'motorsport' stuff they speak of.

Colin
22nd June 2011, 09:55 AM
I'm still struggling with the roof line, it's just not right :confused: It's a shame I was looking forward to this model, but I think they've missed the mark.

Stewart
23rd June 2011, 08:43 PM
I thought this would only be in a "works" or "S". Big question is what does a Cooper one look like without all the kit.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/upload/26159/images/2MiniCoupeCooperSundisguised.jpg
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/upload/26159/images/1MiniCoupeCooperSundisguised.jpg

ianking
23rd June 2011, 09:24 PM
It just doesnt look right at all.

zimbo
23rd June 2011, 10:02 PM
It just doesnt look right at all.

:yes nod: I agree 100%, just goes to show you that they obviously did not think about consulting any of there regular and loyal MINI owners to get a rough idea of what we would expect or like at least, because I know that it certainly wouldn't be this thing.... :frown:

:idunno: ....what were they thinking!! :argh:

I think they have scr***d up in a big way :yes nod:

As for those prices :moonie::thud: and thats before you even start looking at the options list.

The Dogfather
23rd June 2011, 10:34 PM
I think the phrase is 'You've taken that too far'

This is what fiat 'might' be doing with the 500 coupe

http://cdn1.worldcarfans.co/2011/3/1/large/21348681181360634634.jpg

Stewart
23rd June 2011, 10:40 PM
I’m sure they have fantastic people working for these car companies but for me with the mini I wanted it as it looked nothing other than the New mini. I don’t want my mini slowly morphing into a Corsa………

You’ll end up in a few years pulling up thinking oh there is the new Mini, oh wait no it’s the fiat, oh no wait, yeah see it now it’s the new Audi or is it that new Alfa.

RyanK
23rd June 2011, 11:02 PM
The roof should of continued sloping until the end of the bootlid like the Z4M's, looks like a 206cc the way it is. Something about the way the Z4MC's roof comes down at the rear that I love. Even better you can pick one up for sub £20k, £4k cheaper than a jcw coupe and with 120+ bhp...albeit 2nd hand.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3560/3299218630_e13a6bb3a0.jpg

baptie
24th June 2011, 07:26 AM
MINI John Cooper Works Coupé Endurance - Nürburgring

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2802/5863633485_9fd0548ba1_z.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2705/5863632749_ff24434b41_z.jpg

Gismo
24th June 2011, 07:48 AM
Hmm, i'm thinking i'm the only one who likes it :lol:

stoney
24th June 2011, 07:51 AM
It's not bad but im not in love with it so to speak

IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT :)

euan
24th June 2011, 07:59 AM
Anyone know when it'll be on the configurator? I suspect it's going to be very colour sensitive as most of the ones I've seen in photos would look a lot better with a different coloured roof.

KenL
24th June 2011, 08:53 AM
I am surprised that this is getting such a panning on here and in other forums. I actually really like what I see and am interested in seeing it in the flesh. A lightly specced Cooper model is defintitely a possibility as my next car.

If you want to slag off a MINI for being ugly, pick on the Countryman!

Bazthemod
24th June 2011, 09:34 AM
You must have a contrasting roof unless u spec black. Colour options aren't anything too exciting apart from white-silver

baptie
24th June 2011, 10:09 AM

**Applause**

rpn
24th June 2011, 10:18 AM

I have seen quite a few of these kicking around Aberdeen. My one-but-next-door neighbour got one too.

The Dogfather
24th June 2011, 10:23 AM

So its OK to slag off a car that you don't like, but slag off a car you and it not alright?

Its pig ugly, over priced, over weight and a massive missed opportunity. End of!

RyanK
24th June 2011, 11:33 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2705/5863632749_ff24434b41_z.jpg

Bye Bye splitter

KenL
24th June 2011, 01:21 PM
So its OK to slag off a car that you don't like, but slag off a car you and it not alright?

Its pig ugly, over priced, over weight and a massive missed opportunity. End of!

;)

Bazthemod
24th June 2011, 04:14 PM
This was never marketed to be a best seller ... It's even less impractical than the mini and it's unusual that it was given the green light. It won't be a popular model and public opinion isn't great but that's why I love it! Always a fan of the underdog.

ny152
24th June 2011, 08:13 PM
I like it, could see myself going for it at some point with red/silver combo.

The Dogfather
24th June 2011, 11:24 PM
This was never marketed to be a best seller ... It's even less impractical than the mini and it's unusual that it was given the green light. It won't be a popular model and public opinion isn't great but that's why I love it! Always a fan of the underdog.

Dog, best description I've heard for it yet ;)

GCA3N
25th June 2011, 06:17 AM
Good on you Baz:thumbs up:

Gismo
25th June 2011, 08:01 AM
Everything in life is relative, what one person considers something is too expensive another will think that's cheap.
Your money Baz, you're a level headed Young Pup :lol: get what you want, you certainly deserve your luxuries cause you work hard to get them :thumbs up:

Bazthemod
25th June 2011, 08:11 AM
Everything in life is relative, what one person considers something is too expensive another will think that's cheap.
Your money Baz, you're a level headed Young Pup :lol: get what you want, you certainly deserve your luxuries cause you work hard to get them :thumbs up:

Thanks mate, exactly my point of view. As my folks say theres worse things to spend your money on lol!

The Dogfather
25th June 2011, 08:39 AM
You need to pick up on the other two suggestions made by George Best

AndyP & Lenore
25th June 2011, 11:41 AM
I like it. I prefer it in the racing guise but I like the way the glass appears to wrap around the back, harks back to the R53 I guess. I'm a bit worried about how this is heavier than the hatch and when the soft top roadster is released how much heavier again is that going to be. So, we're still holding off for the Roadster, hopefully out early next year. But it's going to have to be a belter of a car to beat our 125i convertible.

A. :D

KenL
27th June 2011, 05:31 PM
Anyone know when it'll be on the configurator? I suspect it's going to be very colour sensitive as most of the ones I've seen in photos would look a lot better with a different coloured roof.

I emailed MINI. They said the launch date was 1 October and that it would go on the configurator when available for sale. So it appears the configurator won't be on until then.

Bazthemod
27th June 2011, 06:53 PM
Customer production starts in september so expect it slightly earlier than launch.

weefossy
27th June 2011, 07:59 PM
This is interesting, when you see the coupe like this
i would say it's not for me, don't like the roof or the style, but when you see it like this
then my thoughts change, not bad at all.

But my real comment is, why doesn't the roof fold away and leave you with a 2 seater roadster? When a roof is so "over styled" it usually means it has a purpose, ie it lifts off or folds away. Overall it's a huge improvement on the Countryman which is dire......but having said all that, when you see the Countryman like this, it's worth a second look. What would it cost?

euan
28th June 2011, 09:21 AM
This is interesting, when you see the coupe like this
i would say it's not for me, don't like the roof or the style, but when you see it like this
then my thoughts change, not bad at all.

But my real comment is, why doesn't the roof fold away and leave you with a 2 seater roadster? When a roof is so "over styled" it usually means it has a purpose, ie it lifts off or folds away. Overall it's a huge improvement on the Countryman which is dire......but having said all that, when you see the Countryman like this, it's worth a second look. What would it cost?

Give it a year and I'll bet they do a roadster ;-)

euan
28th June 2011, 09:22 AM
I emailed MINI. They said the launch date was 1 October and that it would go on the configurator when available for sale. So it appears the configurator won't be on until then.

That's a long old wait, cheers Ken.

Track Ali
29th June 2011, 07:11 PM
Give it a year and I'll bet they do a roadster ;-)

There's already a roadster in the pipeline with a soft roof.

I'm currently in Munich and have just spotted 2 of the coupes out driving. The first was Chilli Red with a silver roof (contrasting vipers) but I didn't see it long enough to see if it was a JCW or not.

The second was the dark blue pictured above with the silver roof (contrasting stripes again). This model was a standard S model. Both look much nicer in the flesh than in the pictures. In the pictures the roof looks a bit daft but on the road the cars look really special.

Unfortunately I couldn't follow them long enough to get any pics. Sorry guys.

Sheilz
30th June 2011, 11:45 PM
2807[/ATTACH]

Its only because its a wee picture that it look more like a mini instead of a big brute. Doesn't matter how many of these I see going about town not seen one in any colour or combo that makes the car look more appealing. I do like the coupe and agree it would be cool if it could be open top too.

euan
1st July 2011, 11:07 AM
Its only because its a wee picture that it look more like a mini instead of a big brute. Doesn't matter how many of these I see going about town not seen one in any colour or combo that makes the car look more appealing. I do like the coupe and agree it would be cool if it could be open top too.

I passed a brown one yesterday...

And two white ones, which looked great. They're on my consideration list for the next car.

Sheilz
1st July 2011, 09:15 PM

And two white ones, which looked great. They're on my consideration list for the next car.

I'm sure they really are lovely inside I just don't like the outside shape and styling. Looks all out of proportion. Other than on sites like these the only remarks I ever hear about the countryman are derisory and anything but mini. Each to their own. Would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing.

Bazthemod
1st July 2011, 09:18 PM

Hahaha ... <must stop being childish>

The Dogfather
1st July 2011, 10:33 PM
Hahaha ... <must stop being childish>

Ha Ha Ha, wasn't just me then <snigger>

Stewart
2nd July 2011, 02:32 PM
Ripped right off TotalMini but here is a few clips. Officially be available to spec a week on Monday for September build slots and October launch

XD-nSj58Jxg

8jboOfc-MQc&NR=1

Stewart
5th July 2011, 04:56 PM
Production begins .... ripped right off TotalMini. :) Coupe SD........
http://www.minitorque.com/forum/content/attachments/9618-imag0398.jpg/

http://www.minitorque.com/forum/content/attachments/9619-imag0396.jpg/

http://www.minitorque.com/forum/content/attachments/9620-imag0395.jpg/

http://images9.fotki.com/v250/photos/7/229737/9870013/IMG_0377-vi.jpg

Sheilz
5th July 2011, 06:39 PM
The silver and red looks nice. Not so sure about the other colour combo. Is that the new orange? When I saw it on the website thought it was a pretty cool colour but in the flesh was a bit disappointed, maybe just a bit dull for my idea of how 'orange' should look. This is totally impractical for me but would still like one.

The Dogfather
5th July 2011, 07:42 PM
The more I see the more I dislike..... <shakes head>

EcosseGP
5th July 2011, 08:06 PM
I'm the complete opposite see it in the photos & not that impressed it looks better in the flesh ..

Bazthemod
5th July 2011, 10:13 PM
Taking orange off my ever growing spec options lol

GCA3N
5th July 2011, 10:26 PM
tell you what that white and red looks nice.

Gismo
6th July 2011, 04:26 AM
I like that more than i ever liked the first R56, not keen on the Orange either, but, would like to see an all black :thumbs up:

Stewart
6th July 2011, 02:41 PM
tell you what that white and red looks nice.

Is that White? I thought it was Silver.....I'd still like to see one with a black roof and colour coded arches. But emit I dont like that Hot orange:frown:

Was in the dealers booking the other mini for its first service and there is some strange colours right now. Even though I think it would suit a girl more that egg shell blue was not to bad.

The Coupé’s floor structure is taken over from the cabriolet. this means that it benefits from extra bracing in the oversized sills, as well as substantial box-section stiffening between the rear wheel housings and a fixed bulkhead behind the front seats. The upshot, says Mini owner BMW, is that the Coupé has the stiffest body of all current Mini models. However, it is also about 20kg heavier than the hatchback.

The Coupé’s windscreen is angled rearwards by 13deg more than in the cabrio’s, which means that the new aluminium hard-top is 29mm lower than a Mini hatchback’s. The new roof section (which gets oval cut-outs in its headlining for improved headroom) also incorporates a large hatchback.

So it will be a heavy wee car to that of the Hatch.

zimbo
6th July 2011, 02:48 PM
Is that White? I thought it was Silver.....

It is silver, they lot are just colour blind me thinks.... :laugh:

I must be the only one who likes that Orange, seen a couple now on the road in that colour and when it's a nice sun blazing day it really REALLY POPS!! :cool::cool::thumbs up: ,feels nice to be in the minority :lol:

GCA3N
6th July 2011, 03:22 PM
Looked again still looks white to me.

Stewart
6th July 2011, 03:26 PM
Coupe Colours!

Chili Red
Pepper White
Spice Orange Metallic
Midnight Black Metallic
BRG Metallic
Eclipse Gray Metallic
Lightning Blue Metallic
White Silver Matallic

Roof Colours
Jet Black
Pure Silver
Chili Red

Have to say Lightning Blue\ Eclipse Gray and Jet black Roof fro me.

Also seems you cant get for instance Chili Red and Red Roof or White Silver and pure Silver Roof or Lightning Blue and Red roof.

Booklet (http://www.halliwelljones.co.uk/emails/images/minipageturner.mht)

http://youtu.be/DoC0-Xc6aKo

KenL
6th July 2011, 03:31 PM
I am really liking the COUPE, this might keep me away from an A1!

I think the only way to get matching body and roof colour is with black.

Bazthemod
6th July 2011, 03:32 PM
Roofs must be contrasting apart from black ;)

GCA3N
6th July 2011, 03:32 PM
so is that white silver in the previous pic stewart?

Bazthemod
6th July 2011, 03:39 PM
The promo JCW is White silver with chili red contrast ... Red roofs are JCW only

Stewart
6th July 2011, 03:51 PM
When it’s Midnight Black the corresponding roof is not Jet Black but Midnight Black to match that of the Body colour, or so the wee book says.

Here Baz did they give you a date you have to have the options done by?

so is that white silver in the previous pic stewart?
I'm sure it is...

Gismo
6th July 2011, 04:02 PM
I'd be tempted to get the roof sprayed to what i wanted, i'm not a fan of alternate coloured roofs

ELFMAN
6th July 2011, 04:46 PM
I'd have much rather it was 20KG LIGHTER than the Hatch - which is as stiff as you need, so it seems that the substance has grown to cope with the styling. Anybody knows weight kills dynamics, so it seems a shame that the MINI which was supposed to move the game on in the driving pleasure stakes is already suffering from excess weight over its 'poorer relations'. I'm still not sure about the looks, and I'm certainly not sure about the '4x4' ride height...

Overall it makes me wonder if it's aimed at the Lookers rather than the Drivers. As Baz said, it's not going to be immensely 'popular', and it's not practical, so why not make it really special in the way it GOES as well as looks? If it's not any better on the road than a good MINI Hatch it's just another niche-filling exercise from MINI.

KenL
6th July 2011, 05:20 PM
Interesting observations elfman.

20 kg is not much of a difference and quoted performance figures seem slightly better than the hatch.

As to ride height, I had thought they looked lower than the hatch. Is it possible the pic you are looking at has transit blocks in the suspension?

For me, I expect the COUPE is more practical. I never have anyone in the very poor and not easily accessible rear seats and the boot is tiny. At least the COUPE has a decent boot.

Mon the fish
6th July 2011, 07:24 PM
I knew it was heavier, now I know why. Wonder why they used the cabrio floor plan - is the roof less 'structural' than the hatch?

I've also noticed the statements regarding slightly improved performance - how have they managed this with the same drivetrains!?

If you really want boot space, there's always the rear seat delete for the hatch...

I'm with Elfman - this should have been the ultimate 'drivers' Mini - low, light, stiff, fast. If it had been that, I may have forgiven the strange looks. Missed opportunity for me

AndyP & Lenore
6th July 2011, 07:43 PM
It's really not on our radar, but I am really liking the look of the coupe. I like the roof line, I like the windscreen being tipped back, I just like the whole look of it - especially now there's more pics out.

It would make sense to me if they were using the same body shell for the coupe as the roadster (2012). So that would explain why they've used the floor pan and extra bracing as found in the standard convertible.

I have to admit, I'm more excited at seeing this in the dealer than I was the clubman or the countryman.

Absolutely can not wait to see the roadster though. Not in anything like a position to change any car at the moment, so it's just as well it's not out for another year.

A.

Bazthemod
6th July 2011, 08:53 PM
I do my Spec on Friday Stewart.

Yes it heavier by 20kg... hardly a ton of weight when you think its the weight of a child really. Increased performance is thanks to the swept back windscreen and aerodynamics. The funny roof has a purpose. Also the stiffer chassis improves handeling, there is a review on motoring file of it on track.

To be honest the JCW is fast enough for me, you hardly get the opportunity on the current roads to go any faster. And im not a track slag. Once Greigs out your way on runs you have more road to play with haha!

Im buying this for its looks coz im a poseur but also a MINI fan, wanted one ever since i seen it at Frankfurt Motor Show 2 years ago. Cant wait.

Bazthemod
6th July 2011, 08:58 PM
BTW Roadster with the roof up... kinda glad the coupe has a funky roof, I feel the smooth/bubble roof is a bit too TT

http://cdn2.worldcarfans.co/2011/6/30/medium/63498993064220049.jpg

http://cdn2.worldcarfans.co/2011/6/30/medium/19578349861505128386.jpg

GCA3N
6th July 2011, 08:58 PM
I do my Spec on Friday Stewart.

Yes it heavier by 20kg... hardly a ton of weight when you think its the weight of a child really. Increased performance is thanks to the swept back windscreen and aerodynamics. The funny roof has a purpose. Also the stiffer chassis improves handeling, there is a review on motoring file of it on track.

To be honest the JCW is fast enough for me, you hardly get the opportunity on the current roads to go any faster. And im not a track slag. Once Greigs out your way on runs you have more road to play with haha!

Im buying this for its looks coz im a poseur but also a MINI fan, wanted one ever since i seen it at Frankfurt Motor Show 2 years ago. Cant wait.

your getting it wee man ;)

can't wait to see your choices, you know what I think.

Bazthemod
6th July 2011, 09:04 PM
your getting it wee man ;)

can't wait to see your choices, you know what I think.

Haha... still cant decide... was Ryan who found the last pics I sent you and changed my mind totally again!

KenL
6th July 2011, 09:05 PM
Amazed you can spec it already, are you getting some special treatment?

Bazthemod
6th July 2011, 09:17 PM
Haha ... I get on well with John Clarks sales team.

Stewart
6th July 2011, 09:47 PM
Do you get the choice of those colour coded Alloys you see in some shots or was that just for show?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/08/3-4-front-1280.jpg

Bazthemod
6th July 2011, 09:49 PM
They were scrapped a while ago due to the cost being so high to produce them

Scottie
6th July 2011, 10:39 PM
Not very practical car but who cares looks lush in the white and red roof can't really understand why anyone would care the weight of this car for driving. OK if your using for F1 racing

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Stewart
6th July 2011, 11:40 PM
They were scrapped a while ago due to the cost being so high to produce them

Shame.:frown:

As for the weight they can always strip it, beef up the power and put that big spoiler on it and call it the Coupe GP…:smilewinkgrin:

http://acclr8.com/show_image/1308854349/438.jpg

AndyP & Lenore
6th July 2011, 11:57 PM
BTW Roadster with the roof up... kinda glad the coupe has a funky roof, I feel the smooth/bubble roof is a bit too TT

http://cdn2.worldcarfans.co/2011/6/30/medium/63498993064220049.jpg

http://cdn2.worldcarfans.co/2011/6/30/medium/19578349861505128386.jpg

BAZ!!! For crying out loud, this is a family site. No posting porn like that. I just messed the keyboard. :lol:

Soooooo much want!!!:yes nod::yes nod::yes nod:

Bazthemod
7th July 2011, 12:21 AM
Haha u enjoy urself Andy!

more 'material' for you haha (http://www.worldcarfans.com/111063034591/2012-mini-jcw-roadster-spied-for-the-first-time/lowphotos#0)

Gismo
7th July 2011, 04:15 AM
I'm guessing the slightly better performance is due to aerodynamics rather than mechanical, just my guess though and not substantiated on any real facts :lol:

Mon the fish
7th July 2011, 06:57 AM
Wouldn't have thought the aero would make any difference in performance at legal speeds though...?

Still prefer the Peugeot RCZ (especially now it comes with quad pipes)

Stewart
7th July 2011, 10:00 AM
That RCZ does look cracking but it has a huge problem for me and its not badge snobbery its just the fact it’s a Peugeot badge on the front. A few friends had brand new Pug’s and all off them had dangerous faults all to do with the electrics! One got returned due to the fact they could not fix the fault......mind that was four or five years back.

Kind of put me off for life, Used to fancy the 205 1.9 GTi that my friends used to have. Now that was a smart wee car that went like stink. That a the Renault 5 GT turbo.

GCA3N
7th July 2011, 10:13 AM
I agree 100% mate the rcz is stunning its the fact its French that would put me right off it.

sent from my galaxy S ll

Doug_m
7th July 2011, 12:06 PM
I agree 100% mate the rcz is stunning its the fact its French that would put me right off it.

sent from my galaxy S ll

Still made the engine which is in your car :p

zimbo
7th July 2011, 12:32 PM
Im with Andy, I'm waiting to see the roadster and that would be my choice, especially because I reckon they will eventually (or someone else) release a removable hard top for it... :yes nod: :clap:

The Dogfather
7th July 2011, 02:08 PM
I'm guessing the slightly better performance is due to aerodynamics rather than mechanical, just my guess though and not substantiated on any real facts :lol:

I'm guessing its marketing BS, we all know the MINI over produces and over performs compared to the 'official figures', perhaps MINI have produced accurate figures for the porky Coupe?

The Dogfather
7th July 2011, 02:12 PM
The roadster is much better looking, I actually like that

KenL
7th July 2011, 02:33 PM
I'm guessing its marketing BS, we all know the MINI over produces and over performs compared to the 'official figures', perhaps MINI have produced accurate figures for the porky Coupe?

Really? I don't think I have ever seen a road test where a MINI or any other car produces figures better than manufacturer's claims.

Is it possible that the COUPE puts the power down better? I know there are improvements in the latest R56 to reduce torque steer.

ELFMAN
7th July 2011, 02:46 PM
Still made the engine which is in your car :p

When did Hams Hall in Birmingham move to France? :confused::smilewinkgrin:

BTW Noticed the ride height seems to vary in the pics, so hopefully it'll be nice and squat when it hits the streets.

AndyP & Lenore
7th July 2011, 10:53 PM
The roadster is much better looking, I actually like that

Feast yer eyes on this...

http://tili.co.uk/MINI/roadster.jpg
*want* *want* *want* *want*

KenL
7th July 2011, 11:06 PM
OMG! That looks fantastic.

AndyP & Lenore
7th July 2011, 11:22 PM
OMG! That looks fantastic.

Yeah. What he said!:thumbs up::thumbs up:

A. :yes nod:

weefossy
7th July 2011, 11:28 PM
Andy I agree it looks great with the roof down, but with the roof up, its just another "pram" like the convertible. A huge missed oportunity with only 2 seats to build a folding metal roof, that could easily be stored away. Somebody may come out with a plastic hard top for the winter, but that's not the right answer. With both the Coupe and the Roadster, BMW have missed a big oportunity in my opinion. Having had 3 convertibles with "pram" roofs, I would defo go for the Coupe.

Go for it BAZ, bust the bank and build a bute. :thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
7th July 2011, 11:39 PM
I've started a new Roadster thread here (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?22357-The-Roadster), just to try and keep the roadster specific chat in it's own thread.

Malcolm, I tried moving your post to the Roadster thread but the chronology made it a mess, so I'll leave it here.:thumbs up:

zimbo
8th July 2011, 03:26 PM
Now if a coupe' was to lure me into ownership then it would have to look like this...

:thumbs up:

KenL
8th July 2011, 04:20 PM
Nice, apart from the choice of wheels!

AndyP & Lenore
8th July 2011, 05:32 PM
First Coupe rolls off the production line at plant Oxford.

http://tili.co.uk/MINI/coupe.jpg

http://tili.co.uk/MINI/coupe1.jpg

A.

KenL
8th July 2011, 05:39 PM
It looks tiny!

I still like it though, what colour is that, Lightning Blue or something new?

Bazthemod
8th July 2011, 07:17 PM
Thats lightning blue. Speced mine today. Just need to wait on the finance system going live for some figures.

GCA3N
8th July 2011, 07:56 PM
Thats lightning blue. Speced mine today. Just need to wait on the finance system going live for some figures.

Colour too?

sent from my galaxy S ll

Bazthemod
8th July 2011, 08:30 PM
Yup will look like this... however theres issues with media pack at the moment which may delay my order... plus it all hinges on figures anyway, the residual values are yet to be released for PCP.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/259898_10150218340664947_751719946_7411932_3040030 _n.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/264426_10150218334079947_751719946_7411875_3176564 _n.jpg

GCA3N
8th July 2011, 08:33 PM
Mmmm awesome baz can't wait to see it.

sent from my galaxy S ll

Stewart
8th July 2011, 08:59 PM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5160/5871003242_035e502432.jpg

Not too saure on the Black & Silver combo.....Black and Black you cant go wrong.

Neil - TXJ
8th July 2011, 09:08 PM
Yup will look like this... however theres issues with media pack at the moment which may delay my order... plus it all hinges on figures anyway, the residual values are yet to be released for PCP.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/259898_10150218340664947_751719946_7411932_3040030 _n.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/264426_10150218334079947_751719946_7411875_3176564 _n.jpg

Hope it works out for you. When would delivery be?

Bazthemod
8th July 2011, 09:33 PM
October, but depends on the media pack situation

The Dogfather
8th July 2011, 09:58 PM
Black on Black actually looks a lot better, not 100% right but better...

KenL
8th July 2011, 10:46 PM
Black on Black actually looks a lot better, not 100% right but better...

Aha! You like it really, go on, admit it :smilewinkgrin:

KenL
8th July 2011, 10:48 PM
Funny how the black JCW S does not have a chrome fuel cap.

Bazthemod
8th July 2011, 11:36 PM
Same for the cabrio. id imagine, reduced space behind the flap means it cant be fitted.

The Dogfather
9th July 2011, 07:48 AM
Aha! You like it really, go on, admit it :smilewinkgrin:

No, but I can't see the bit I hate so much. They should have done more with the body though, maybe a standard diffuser or different bumpers

Stewart
17th July 2011, 12:07 PM
http://www.motoringfile.com/wp-content/gallery/coupe_real2/_DSC0312.jpg
http://www.motoringfile.com/wp-content/gallery/coupe_real2/_DSC0307.jpg
http://www.motoringfile.com/wp-content/gallery/coupe_real2/_DSC0344.jpg
http://www.motoringfile.com/wp-content/gallery/coupe_real2/_DSC0303.jpg
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqMOKnIE4N0ijLCgBOIWNueQmw~~_12.JPG
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqEOKiEE3)TC058VBOIWNte4nw~~_12.JPG
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqQOKo0E33DU1bRuBOIWNtZb!g~~_12.JPG

One for sale on Ebay
Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2011-Mini-COUPE-JCW-TOP-SPEC-BUILD-SLOT-BRAND-NEW-/260818972597?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3cba05afb5#ht_1722wt_1270)

Stewart
19th July 2011, 09:42 AM
you can now build your own, only its Italy...UK site still down...We only build them enough said about the UK IT side of things.......
Build a coupe! (http://www.mini.it/configurator/index.html?bcId=/&backLinkName=MINI.it&initTarget=vco.configurator)

KenL
21st July 2011, 08:18 AM
The COUPE is now on the UK configurator. The pic of the car is not yet there when you choose the model at the start, you need to click on the little arrow.

I had a quick look and did not think it looked as good as I had hoped, but that may just be the nature of the graphics.

Stewart
21st July 2011, 11:02 AM
MINI Cooper SD Coupe 2.0 in White Silver £26800 :smilewinkgrin: ok I could shave 2K off it and it still looks the same.....but hey.

with the following options:

Leather Punch black/beige
White Silver
Dynamic Stability Control
Sport suspension
Multi-function controls for s'wheel
Sport Steering Wheel
Alarm system (Thatcham 1)
Elec Fold Exterior Mirrors
Heated Mirrors/Washer Jets
Roof&Mirror Caps in Black
Black headlights
Sun protection glass
Auto dimming ext/int mirrors
Rear-view mirror, auto dimming
Armrest - front, centre
Anthracite Roof Lining
Additional Decor Rings
Colour Line Satellite Grey
Interior World Carbon Black
Sport Button
Headlight wash
Park Distance Control (PDC), rear
Rain sensor with auto. headlight activation
Xenon headlights
Air Conditioning
On-Board Computer
Passenger airbag deactivation, front
Car Jack
DAB digital radio
Harman Kardon - Hi-Fi
Telephone USB audio interface
2nd Remote Key
White Indicator Lenses

Sport Pack
John Cooper Works Aerodynamic Kit
17" Cross Spoke Challenge Light Alloy Wheels
Interior Trim Piano Black
Dynamic Traction Control
Sport seats, front

Media Pack
MINI navigation system
Visual Boost Radio
Full Bluetooth with USB.
Voice Control
MINI Connected

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/sav112g/SD-Coupe.jpg

zimbo
21st July 2011, 11:26 AM
Configurator still seems down on my pc, just get the black box on top left of screen with two arrows on outside bottom right to go either left or right and nothing works...

:rolleyes:

ianking
21st July 2011, 12:23 PM
Configurator still seems down on my pc, just get the black box on top left of screen with two arrows on outside bottom right to go either left or right and nothing works...

:rolleyes:

Im getting the same

ELFMAN
21st July 2011, 12:45 PM
MINI Cooper SD Coupe 2.0 in White Silver £26800 :smilewinkgrin: ok I could shave 2K off it and it still looks the same.....but hey.

I'd rather go down this route... just one of many available - and you can look at a 'Cayman S' for a few K more...

PORSCHE CAYMAN 2.7 Registration 2007 57 Description 2 Registered Keepers, 2 Doors, Manual, Coupe, Petrol,
2007 57 Reg , 26, 000 miles, Grey. FINISHED IN ATLAS GREY METALLIC WITH FULL BLACK LEATHER INTERIOR WITH SILVER STITCHING, 19INCH CARRERA SPORT ALLOY WHEELS WITH COLOUR WHEEL CENTRE CRESTS, HARDBACK SPORTS SEATS WITH CRESTED HEAD RESTS, BOSE PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM, 3 SPOKE SPORTS STEERING WHEEL, INFORMATION CENTRE, TOP TINT WINDSCREEN, ACTIVE REAR SPOILER, PSM, PLUS MUCH MORE STANDARD SPECIFICATION. THIS STUNNING CAR IS PRESENTED IN IMMACULATE CONDITION THROUGHOUT AND HAS ONLY COVERED 26000 MILES. CAR COMES COMPLETE WITH THE BENEFIT AND REASSURANCE OF A FULL SERVICE HISTORY, FOR A FINANCE QUOTE PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE. BESPOKE INDOOR SHOWROOM, NATIONWIDE DELIVERY AVAILABLE, £23, 484, HARDB BACK SPORTS SEATS WITH CRESTED HEAD RESTS, BOSE PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM, 3 SPOKE SPORTS STEERING WHEEL, INFORMATION CENTRE, TOP TINT WINDSCREEN, ACTIVE REAR SPOILER, PSM, FOR A FINANCE QUOTE PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE. BESPOKE INDOOR SHOWROOM, NATIONWIDE DELIVERY AVAILABLE

Specification
Alloy wheels
Full service history
Leather
Metallic paint
Manual Transmission
ColourGrey

Sorry MINI... :sad:

KenL
21st July 2011, 01:01 PM
Your pc or browser is not blocking downloads is it? I get a warning popping up on Google Chrome and I have to allow downloads or something for it to work. Ken.

KenL
21st July 2011, 01:05 PM
The Cayman is a great car but the ownership costs of one out of warranty would give me sleepless nights!

ELFMAN
21st July 2011, 02:51 PM
The Cayman is a great car but the ownership costs of one out of warranty would give me sleepless nights!

It's not that I dislike the Coupe (although I still can't quite get my head round that roof - if you see what I mean), but in my opinion, no matter how much your heart can rule your head when it comes to things automotive, it's also about the money you pay and what you get for it. I love my MINIs, but having sampled a Cayman, I'd be surprised if the MINI Coupe will be in the same ballpark. For that sort of money, you'd be getting a good Porsche, and being a Porsche, it's top quality gear which doesn't tend to break if you get a good one. You could run it for a couple of years (like many will do with a Coupe), and then sell it without losing too much money. Or for the same outlay, go 'downmarket' for a Boxster or Boxster S and you're looking at newer cars, possibly still under Porsche Warranty. If your tastes are a bit more of the 'hairy' variety, you could go for a new-ish Nissan 370Z...

If MINI are going to charge big money for a well-specced Coupe (and most of them will have lots of boxes ticked in the showroom), I think it should clearly demonstrate extra dynamic capability and performance over the Hatch, which back up the style and price premium, otherwise it's all a bit Vauxhall Tigra :frown: - 'Fur coat and nae Knickers' and we all know how important good pants are! :smilewinkgrin: Maybe if 'our' Coupe was an 'RS' Lightweight, with 250bhp, bespoke Suspension, etc etc and Recaros as standard for that £26+K, I'd be convinced. :yes nod:

Stewart
21st July 2011, 04:48 PM
" 'RS' Lightweight, with 250bhp, bespoke Suspension, etc etc and Recaros"

Yeah the seats should be a given in the Works as standard.... In my view it looks like a Mini trinket rather than Mini having gone away and came back with something rather special.

The fact you can get it in different wrappers with the Cooper, Cooper S, SD, Works really means there will be a good few about and waters down the wow factor. I still think it will either like the car in the flesh or I’ll think nah missed opportunity.

In truth if I was spending anything near 26K and you put the Works Coupe and Robs Works that was on the HT this year I think I’d still take the Hatch but it would be a hard call..........

N16SHP
21st July 2011, 06:20 PM
The fact you can get it in different wrappers with the Cooper, Cooper S, SD, Works really means there will be a good few about and waters down the wow factor. I still think it will either like the car in the flesh or I’ll think nah missed opportunity.

For sure they missed a trick there. Had the only realised it as a JCW or something, I think the appeal would of been much more! TG Mag gave it a pretty average review too, claiming the roof looked like it was wearing a cap back to front!!

Have to agree with you there. One of my team mates owns a Cayene Turbo and he lost boost from one of the turbo's...£1200 later from a NON PORSCHE SPECIALIST...problem fixed...ouch!!!

Bazthemod
21st July 2011, 06:43 PM
In the words of Duncan Ballantyne - I'm Out

By time I spec this to the same as my car its already £150 a month more expensive even with putting a 2k deposit into the deal.

Specing it higher as I would want with media etc means a further £100.

With the prospect of getting a company car next year or moving to London i'm not willing to spend stupid money only to have to get rid next year and lose a small fortune!

The Dogfather
21st July 2011, 07:43 PM
Good decision Baz

AndyP & Lenore
21st July 2011, 07:49 PM

Thats a real shame Baz, cos I know how psyched you were about getting one.:sad:

A.:sad:

KenL
21st July 2011, 07:57 PM
Have to agree with you there. One of my team mates owns a Cayene Turbo and he lost boost from one of the turbo's...£1200 later from a NON PORSCHE SPECIALIST...problem fixed...ouch!!!

Ah, the Porsche Cayenne. If that's not the world's ugliest and most pointless car it is pretty damn close to it :sick:

KenL
21st July 2011, 08:06 PM

By time I spec this to the same as my car its already £150 a month more expensive even with putting a 2k deposit into the deal.

Specing it higher as I would want with media etc means a further £100.

With the prospect of getting a company car next year or moving to London i'm not willing to spend stupid money only to have to get rid next year and lose a small fortune!

Good decision if you are not keeping any car for 2 or 3 years. However, if you are interested, why not spec one lightly - people are obsessed with "toys" in cars these days are they not?

I am looking at speccing my next car if it is a MINI. I want one that is cheaper to own than the one I have at present (I only got it as I saved ~£2.5k on a pre-built S during the height of the credit crunch) and am looking at a Cooper. I may still decide to go with PEPPER or CHILLI but there are options in these pack that are really of no interest to ME. Auto aircon & Bluetooth are hundreds of pounds and pointless in my view. The part leather seats in with CHILLI are also almost £700 extra, they're not that great IMO having owned 2 cars with them, I might just settle for the bog-standard seats next time and spec the options I want individually.

Bazthemod
21st July 2011, 08:12 PM
I prefer my luxuries... would rather keep my own car or move to another brand than have a poverty spec Coupe.

My JCW is fully loaded apart from Nav... would take bad going to poverty spec for more £££ per month.

KenL
21st July 2011, 10:19 PM
Absolutely no reason to change then. Your car is a cracker

The Dogfather
21st July 2011, 10:30 PM
I wouldn't swap that hatch of yours for a Coupe, even a fully loaded one......

GCA3N
22nd July 2011, 08:30 AM
good choice baz told you before you have the second best looking mini here ;)

Sheilz
22nd July 2011, 11:30 AM
good choice baz told you before you have the second best looking mini here ;)

Aw! Thanks Greig. Dougall is blushing and sez 'beep beep' (aw shucks, you're too kind) :laugh::laugh::laugh:

ELFMAN
22nd July 2011, 12:50 PM
Aw! Thanks Greig. Dougall is blushing and sez 'beep beep' (aw shucks, you're too kind) :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hate to butt in here Sheilz, Greig was obviously referring to a certain Pepper White, deceptively standard-looking machine... :yes nod:

Baz. Sorry to hear the news, but I think you're right not to proceed. You have an excellent car (probably the 3rd best looking MINI here... :smilewinkgrin:), and it doesn't make any sense to ditch it for no real gains. Makes me wonder how many potential buyers will be put off when they do the sums and compare with the hatch...? :confused:

Sheilz
22nd July 2011, 01:37 PM
Hate to butt in here Sheilz, Greig was obviously referring to a certain Pepper White, deceptively standard-looking machine... :yes nod:

Baz. Sorry to hear the news, but I think you're right not to proceed. You have an excellent car (probably the 3rd best looking MINI here... :smilewinkgrin:), and it doesn't make any sense to ditch it for no real gains. Makes me wonder how many potential buyers will be put off when they do the sums and compare with the hatch...? :confused:

You're spot on there Euan (no about PW V MWD (my wee Dougall) ) - but about the cost of these cars, in fact the cost of any new mini. On Weds I had a bog standard Corsa from work and though a fraction of the cost it came with much and such the same tech spec as a mini with chilli pack. Was just saying to a colleague yesterday that I think I might go down the Golf route when going for my next car even though I'd really miss the individual character thing which as far as I'm concerned remains uniquely characteristic of minis. Well perhaps the new fiat too. Some other cars just look silly trying to wear another brand's look. BMW are just too greedy.

ELFMAN
22nd July 2011, 02:44 PM
Yes Sheilz, I must admit you have a lovely Dougall :smilewinkgrin:

In the current economic climate, people more than ever are looking for 'best value' when they're buying a car, and will compare the toys on offer 'as standard' when they're doing the sums. Folks like us love the way the MINI drives and looks, and that's a major factor in sticking with the brand, but as you intimated, those only interested in a decent motor with a fair amount of kit might not be swayed by dynamics and looks alone, and I think MINI are far too stingy on basic spec. Now that the car's been around for ten years, there's less 'Wow!' and more 'Why?', making it harder to maintain the 'if they want it, they'll pay extra for it' attitude. Speaking to one of the sales people in a dealership a few months ago (about the Countryman), they mentioned the fact that when it's well-specced, the price becomes pretty steep and enters territory of the bigger and better-equipped 'family' soft-roaders, which could put off potential buyers who didn't want to shell out the extra cash for the extra chic.

My current car came with a Chili Pack etc, but that was because it was from 'stock' (saving me about £2K+ on the purchase price) rather than specced by me, but I always had a fairly basic spec on my previous MINIs, preferring to spend the money on 'performance' parts rather than 'luxuries' like Air-Con (power-sapping+extra weight!). For me the Colour and the Limited Slip Diff were the main 'plus points' on G3 ELF - over the past two years I've set about replacing most of the other bits! :hand:;)

Stewart
22nd July 2011, 05:54 PM
As I’ve said there is Cooper S cars that are not even split new on 22k at the Dealers and I have to emit look nothing special with not even the works kit on them and they certainly don’t look like someone has went mad with the options either.

Silly money, for a nice car but OTT for what it is.

Right now I’d have a Cooper SD, more power than what I’ve got for a wee change and better MPG and less Tax. Then you try and spec one and it just gets embarrassing and within touching distance of a Works.

KenL
22nd July 2011, 06:12 PM
I had a mkV Golf and really liked it. I would have another Golf, but they too are very pricey these days if you want an engine that can shift the weight.

KenL
22nd July 2011, 06:15 PM
SD is a rip off, as is the Cooper D. A 1300 premium over the Cooper. Audi only charge 500 extra for their diesel A1.

The Dogfather
22nd July 2011, 07:26 PM
SD is a rip off, as is the Cooper D. A 1300 premium over the Cooper. Audi only charge 500 extra for their diesel A1.

But the A1 is overpriced across the range

KenL
22nd July 2011, 07:58 PM
But the A1 is overpriced across the range

Why do you say so? Is this a statement in comparison to a MINI or just in general?

I was looking at the "SPORT" model, similar in the range to the Cooper. Better spec' as standard, e.g. 16" alloy wheels which are a £575 option with MINI. Sports seats as standard also.

Audi A1 1.4TSI SPORT (122bhp, turbo so more torque and faster than Cooper) £15 670

Basic Cooper £14 780
Cooper + pepper £15 755
Cooper + chilli (gives 16" wheels & sports seats) £17 005

The Audi is no doubt a far better built car, with a higher quality interior and will hold its value in a similar fashion to a MINI.

N16SHP
22nd July 2011, 11:49 PM
What i cannot understand is owning a car from new. Did anyone see the part on Fifth Gear about two weeks ago, where they did a test to find the cheapest cars to run in the uk today? The scary part was when they said if you buy a brand new Fiesta Zetec, after the first year, with depreciation, fuel, insurance, road tax etc it will have cost you something like £6k....GULP!

I've never owned a new car (my parents have had plenty) and I don't think I ever will. I picked up my S that was just over two years old and had done 10,000 miles. With my personal plate on it, the amount of folk who asked "Is it new?" and then shocked when I said no, its getting on for 3 years old. Obviously this is all in my own opinion there are plenty good reasons to buy a new car if your not worried about the steep depreciation but just a thought...

The Dogfather
23rd July 2011, 07:35 AM
Why do you say so? Is this a statement in comparison to a MINI or just in general?

The Audi is no doubt a far better built car, with a higher quality interior and will hold its value in a similar fashion to a MINI.

I did mean just in general, the MINI's price is scandalous.

Mind you I beginning to realise just how much all new car prices have escalated.

'Buy Used' is the best approach

Stewart
23rd July 2011, 02:06 PM
What i cannot understand is owning a car from new.
My Mini was sitting there with 1K on the clock six months old and 3K off the new price if you did the exact build. I don’t think I'd ever buy split new as you can find some good deals. So ended up with a Cooper that is down as a pepper but has every option off the chilli apart from Mats even has the sports button and seats.

When I went in to view it the Girl said the price and I thought wait a mo that’s £500 lower than the Mini site, seems they had dropped the price that day. She did say they were looking to free up space and it was last week of the month.

KenL
23rd July 2011, 03:18 PM
Great result Stewart.

N16SHP
23rd July 2011, 04:57 PM
My Mini was sitting there with 1K on the clock six months old and 3K off the new price if you did the exact build. I don’t think I'd ever buy split new as you can find some good deals. So ended up with a Cooper that is down as a pepper but has every option off the chilli apart from Mats even has the sports button and seats.

When I went in to view it the Girl said the price and I thought wait a mo that’s £500 lower than the Mini site, seems they had dropped the price that day. She did say they were looking to free up space and it was last week of the month.

Yeah exactly, an even better example of not buying new. To put my comment into perspective that has thrown this a little off topic, if I wanted a Coupe, I'd wait maybe 6 months to a year as there will be folk out there who spec some up to the roof and then decide after 6 months, actually this isn't for me, and there will be cars available. Also on the Coupe as we've seen with newer models like the Countryman, there will be teething problems and I'd much prefer to wait until these were sorted before buying a Coupe and the right to become a guinea pig for mini.

Stewart
23rd July 2011, 06:41 PM
Thinking it will be a while for an SD to come down second hand or pre-registered at the dealers and I think the Coupe will be even more of a rarity for a year or two.

I shop right next the local Min dealers so I’ll enjoy getting to see the Coupe when it hits the showroom.

KenL
23rd July 2011, 06:48 PM
I will hopefully get an invite to a launch and go along for a look.

Dundee Checkmate
13th August 2011, 10:47 PM
Yeah exactly, an even better example of not buying new. To put my comment into perspective that has thrown this a little off topic, if I wanted a Coupe, I'd wait maybe 6 months to a year as there will be folk out there who spec some up to the roof and then decide after 6 months, actually this isn't for me, and there will be cars available. Also on the Coupe as we've seen with newer models like the Countryman, there will be teething problems and I'd much prefer to wait until these were sorted before buying a Coupe and the right to become a guinea pig for mini.

Have to agree with you there mate, let someone else take the cash hit, get a well specked motor for much cheapness.

AndyP & Lenore
14th August 2011, 10:28 AM

Have to agree with you there mate, let someone else take the cash hit, get a well specked motor for much cheapness.

I understand the logic in there, but you do have a contradiction;:blush: wait 6 months to get a cheaper "nearly new" used model which was first off the production line, but won't this be riddled with new model bugs. Surely you'd need to wait at least a year and try and pick one up 6 months old.:idunno:

A.

JamesCB
6th September 2011, 09:13 AM
Some aggregated revies of it here - http://www.carbuzz.co.uk/car-reviews/MINI/Coupe

Surprised to hear it's not as good to drive as the hatch. Also that the Cooper SD reviews aren't great, yet that exact engine got great reviews in the hatch and Clubman.

KenL
6th September 2011, 10:50 PM
Some aggregated revies of it here - http://www.carbuzz.co.uk/car-reviews/MINI/Coupe

Surprised to hear it's not as good to drive as the hatch. Also that the Cooper SD reviews aren't great, yet that exact engine got great reviews in the hatch and Clubman.

Not from every source it didn't. I read one review which did not think it that much better than the cooper d engine.

AndyP & Lenore
6th September 2011, 11:15 PM
I still love the looks of the car and if we were in the market for a Coupe bodyshape of a MINI, this would tick all the boxes. But I just think it's sad they've specifically manufactured the performance to be no more and no less powerful than the hatch. I see no problem in the standard engines being available, but would it not have been a good idea to have had a 'hardened' version from launch? 250bhp, 17" alloys, lowered even further, some kind of specific sh!t hot body kit, exclusive colours, fully loaded inside.

It's like MINI decided to be outrageous with the design, then someone reigned them in and made it all too sensible. The resulting overall package is a bit... lacklustre? :idunno:

A.

euan
7th September 2011, 10:38 AM
Andy, that's my general frustration with Mini. In all the time it's been out (which is a fair old time now since BMW relaunched it) the power has stayed pretty constant. The chassis can obviously take it and every other "hot" hatch is nigh on 240-250BHP now. Is someone looking at an ST going to look a JCW? Or a Megane Sport? The DS3 and the Arbath Punto are both at 200bhp now as well.

Mini are lacking the true "halo" car that the GP gave them, the coupe was that opportunity. Maybe it's coming, who knows.

Stewart
7th September 2011, 10:57 AM
Have to agree, a bonkers car that is done well as you say a hardened snorting Coupe sells lower models. By association you’ve bought into the family and a Coupe GP limited numbers would sell.

My Cooper, for me has enough performance and economy. But when I was looking it was always the Works that I thought “oh yeah”. My car does not look or drive anything like the top marque Works but I still buy into I’m apart of that family.

Not long till these hit the Showrooms!

Bazthemod
7th September 2011, 11:59 AM
Closer this gets to launch the better i'm feeling about going for a hatch instead. I really thought i would regret the decision to back out of the coupe deal but so far im glad i did.

For me the Coupe should have the xfactor , that little bit something special in the performance dept. Sadly it doesn't and maybe this can be seen as JCW snobbery but i dont believe this car should be made in anything less than a cooper s with the JCW kit. It would really annoy me that there would be Cooper Coupes going about with a sport pack looking very similar to my 30k specced JCW Coupe. I think it dilutes the Coupe too much.

Stewart
7th September 2011, 09:29 PM
With the sports pack now available from the dealer, even the hatch is diluted. I have to say I’d have a Cooper SD with sports pack. The sports pack does finish the look off. You just have to accept there is a fair few about now.

The coupe will have something the Hatch does not for a while, it will simply stand out being Mini’s new toy. I’m still looking forward to seeing one in the flesh and out on the road. But as it’s suggested not as good a drive as the hatch and less practical it reads a bit trinket over offering something better….
The Roadster is a bit different for me as I’ve never liked the Mini convertible.