PDA

View Full Version : snow good

satans little helper
28th November 2010, 03:42 PM
first time off driving mini in the snow today and its crap!took me half an hour to get up my st! its every bit as bad as my previous ep3!
Disapointed :sad:

Craig
28th November 2010, 04:29 PM
It's not the car :thumbs up: Just the wrong tyres ;)

My car has managed to go wherever I wanted this year and last year :yes nod:

jdl_1967
28th November 2010, 04:34 PM
http://tapa.tk/mu/5ad8ad88-760d-b4dc.jpg

My Yokohama Parada Spec IIs have been fine today, possibly because I couldn't even open my door to get in to drive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satans little helper
28th November 2010, 04:45 PM
It's not the car :thumbs up: Just the wrong tyres ;)

My car has managed to go wherever I wanted this year and last year :yes nod:

hmmm....i have a brand new pirelli runflat and a good year eagle with a good amount off tread on the front :confused: only bout 2 inchs off snow here aswell :p

satans little helper
28th November 2010, 05:05 PM
http://tapa.tk/mu/5ad8ad88-760d-b4dc.jpg

My Yokohama Parada Spec IIs have been fine today, possibly because I couldn't even open my door to get in to drive!

lol :thumbs up:

Stewart
28th November 2010, 05:12 PM
[

That my View on Snow tyres, great that they can make such a good difference and could make such a difference if you get into trouble but for me would be a waste of money as I just don’t take the car out like today. If the snow goes ballistic were I live it’s tough enough on the 4x4’s not making it and absolutely no chance no matter the tyre on a car and the only thing going up my drive would probably be a land rover defender. :smilewinkgrin:

Tyres can only do so much although its better just now in Glasgow and I know no one that has not made it out and back today in there car. But if I did have a situation that I needed to go out then it would be nice to have the right tyres for essential travel.

Great pic.

Craig
28th November 2010, 05:20 PM
hmmm....i have a brand new pirelli runflat and a good year eagle with a good amount off tread on the front :confused: only bout 2 inchs off snow here aswell :p

Yup but they are "summer" tyres as they are known. I am not saying the winters will work all the time but let's just say I had less problems last year than my dads tiguan which is permanent 4x4 ;)

satans little helper
28th November 2010, 06:02 PM
had a look on camskill for winter/snow tyres but there quite expensive! will stick with the good old fashioned grit fr the time being lol.

Scottie
28th November 2010, 06:12 PM
when driving in the snow I think snow tyres make a massive difference generally,

however when you have the depth of snow that some places have had today on un ploughed side roads snow tyres make no difference because what eventually happens the car pushes the snow and it compacts in front of the car and you end up the tyres off the road and you get no grip so you need to dig.

Now big 4x4's yes are good on the snow again only with the correct tyres fitted but trust me when you try to bring a big 2.5 tone beast to a stop in this weather it's not easy many a time I missed my turned in the house and slid on past.:blush:

Fartin Martin
28th November 2010, 07:08 PM
my car+traction off=me moving!! :D

and the falkens are no too bad in the snow..better than my Run$hites! :lol:

KenL
28th November 2010, 08:12 PM
Loads of snow where I live, the MINI stays at home tomorrow.

MINI is OK in the snow but if it is deep like it is now or last winter it grounds.

Try turning off your ASC if you have if. My R56 Cooper could not pull away as when the wheels spin it cut the power, turned it off and away I went.

The Dogfather
28th November 2010, 08:56 PM
Obviously any car will get stuck if you try to get through snow too deep, however we had 6" of snow last Thursday night and I still managed to drive the 35 miles to work on a mix of unploughed compacted snow roads without a single problem. Now we've had a lot more snow since then and there are some roads I won't attempt without a snow shovel as a back up.

My neighbour who has an impreza (4WD) stayed home because she couldn't get it off the drive.

If you want to stay moving buy winters or buy a bus pass.

I'll just add last year I went out to find out what the limit was for the tyres I have, on the flat I only got suck if the snow was 18" deep if I didn't keep my momentum up. I could easily stop/restart in 12" on the flat. Hills are a challenge but as long as you keep momentum going then your fine, just don't expect to be able to restart on anything more than a few inches when on a steep incline.

stoney
28th November 2010, 10:39 PM
yep drove on copacted snow 2 day with my winters on and it was fine did not need to turn off the ASC or any thing just drove nice and steady and all was fine much better than R/F's

Mon the fish
29th November 2010, 08:28 AM
yep drove on copacted snow 2 day with my winters on and it was fine did not need to turn off the ASC or any thing just drove nice and steady and all was fine much better than R/F's

No tyres are probably better than runflats!

stoney
29th November 2010, 08:44 AM
No tyres are probably better than runflats!

your right about that and winters are better then normal in the snow as i have a van on norm's and it was sliding all over the palce

Scottie
29th November 2010, 08:52 AM
well I struggled to get my car out the garage and around to the house this morning ready for work. A stupid wife in her Fiat 500 got stuck right in the road had to push her and tell her what to do so I could get past. She said if you get through then I'll try again, I thought dinnae bother hen but once I got going there was no way I was stopping again to help her. It was just the depth of snow my tyres couldn't get down to get a decent grip. Here is hoping the main roads will be ok.

Delboy
29th November 2010, 10:43 AM
My car was much better in the snow yesterday than it was on Saturday - mainly because I didn't press the Sport button for change :blush: :laugh:.

You live and learn....:smilewinkgrin:.

Craig
29th November 2010, 10:51 AM
Well got to work no bother however I was late due to a muppet in a Volvo who just blocked the whole road and we all had to help him up the hill so we could get out...!

I simply can't understand why people dont educate themselves on how to drive in snow :frown: because this one guy couldn't get out, it caused chaos for others.. Once the coast was clear I got out first time. Momentum is key as is NOT having a lead right foot !! ;)

Delboy
29th November 2010, 11:51 AM
Well got to work no bother however I was late due to a muppet in a Volvo who just blocked the whole road and we all had to help him up the hill so we could get out...!

I simply can't understand why people dont educate themselves on how to drive in snow :frown: because this one guy couldn't get out, it caused chaos for others.. Once the coast was clear I got out first time. Momentum is key as is NOT having a lead right foot !! ;)

Yes, you always get the numpties out in this weather - and normally they're driving rear-wheel drive BMWs too, which, to be honest, is friggin hilarious :laugh:.

Momentum is certainly the key though. It's a real bummer when the lights turn to red at the top of a hill :thud:.

cooperchris
29th November 2010, 11:56 AM
Well another day off for me, Went out to my van at 6:10 an was trying till 6:35 to move it :argh: The snow is just to deep. Two cars got out there drive an soon as they hit the snow they just stopped, So had to help them push there cars back into the drive :frown:

Sent a tx msg to the boss an went back to bed :yes nod:

Momentum wasn't workin for me last night coming home. Three times i got stuck on the hills, Had to reverse then J turn back down the hill to start again. Then i saw a gritter going round the streets so follow that an just managed to reach the top.

Stewart
29th November 2010, 12:18 PM
Worst car ever was the Volvo 940 Turbo, think I left it a few times for days about a mile away from the house. Big heavy and rear wheel drive not a good combination totally useless trying to climb a hill.

Its melting a bit here in Glasgow.

The Dogfather
29th November 2010, 01:42 PM
We had another 12" last night the snow is now 20" deep and there are 3ft drifts near the entrance to the village :D

Mon the fish
29th November 2010, 02:45 PM
Bad here in Alford too - mail not getting in from Aberdeen, posties stuck in drifts all over the place!

Scottie
29th November 2010, 03:42 PM
http://tapa.tk/mu/d4b78c3f-bbdb-6149.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Scottie
29th November 2010, 03:51 PM
Hope the picture worked taken on my phone at lunch time in dunblane two miles down the road and no snow worth talking about

Craig
29th November 2010, 03:53 PM
Is that Dunblane Fi, girl from work has snow up to her door handles of her Astra !! :thud:

Scottie
29th November 2010, 03:59 PM
Yup dunblane saw a red mini left at the side of the road past m&s heading towards the keir roundabout today its another world at dunblane today

jdl_1967
29th November 2010, 07:37 PM
Dunblane is terrible, I've never seen it so bad. The main hill going into Dunblane from Doune has been turned into a single lane with cars parked everywhere! Wobetide anyone that pulls into a gap to let someone past, you'll be there 'til it thaws!

Stewart
29th November 2010, 07:52 PM
Thats a lot worse than what we have had in Glasgow. I see the A9 is shut as well.

satans little helper
29th November 2010, 08:13 PM
1 thing that really gets my back up is people who tail gate in the snow! really pi55es me off!! am no daisy driver but theres always 1 that does it,grrr

jdl_1967
29th November 2010, 09:00 PM
1 thing that really gets my back up is people who tail gate in the snow! really pi55es me off!! am no daisy driver but theres always 1 that does it,grrr

Totally agree, and those that shoot up to junctions and are surprised when they can't stop, running the risk of hitting me and other innocent (careful) drivers!!!

satans little helper
29th November 2010, 09:39 PM
Totally agree, and those that shoot up to junctions and are surprised when they can't stop, running the risk of hitting me and other innocent (careful) drivers!!!

aye totally lol some muppets out there eh....

weefossy
30th November 2010, 09:18 PM
Best car for me in snow is the wee Ka, goes a treat. Thin wheels, short wheel base, no gadgets to interfere with the feel under your feet. And if the worst happened, I wouldn't loose any sleep. Couldn't get the Jag off the drive :blush:

Stewart
30th November 2010, 11:22 PM
My wee AX was good it never let me down in the snow, once you got it warmed up and off the choke that is. Remember when you had to do it yourself. My mate put his Capri through a hedge on its side when it met ice there was a shocking loss, the takeaway Curry never made it..........:smilewinkgrin: and the massive hedge was in a poor shape as well.

satans little helper
1st December 2010, 12:30 AM
my old deisel clio was good back in the day, expect sittin with ignition on waitin on glow plugs heatin was a pain lol...

GCA3N
1st December 2010, 06:44 AM
, once you got it warmed up and off the choke that is. Remember when you had to do it yourself. My mate put his Capri through a hedge on its side when it met ice there was a shocking loss, the takeaway Curry never made it..........:smilewinkgrin: and the massive hedge was in a poor shape as well.

Showing your age stewart, manual chokes...capri's ;) :lol:

stoney
1st December 2010, 09:01 AM
well christine has been driving the GP al week with no problem at all with the winter rubber on and she has been fine she even said how much extra grip they give you when drivinig in slush/snow !!

Delboy
1st December 2010, 10:41 AM
Glasgow's a friggin nightmare this morning - worst journey to work this week so far :argh: (and I'm only 4 miles from work!). Hardly any grip, even on the main roads - looks like the gritter drivers have stayed at home again :frown:.

zimbo
1st December 2010, 11:05 AM
Well I went down to London on Sunday morning and came back up the usual route via the M6-Glasgow-Dundee and I have seen some real dodgey driving south of the border... :frown:

Was total chaos in London trying to get onto the M25 :moonie: Londoners just have NO IDEA how to drive in the snow!!!

Even went to see Mike in Liverpool to get bits for my car and he didnt have any!!! :thud:all that way diversion and nothing... So 14hrs after starting off in London finally got home at Midnight ish and could'nt get car into drive way so went into house dug out the old shovel and started clearing the way into my drive and finally managed to get my car into the drive to have a well earned rest after a long hard few days. :yes nod:

Stewart
1st December 2010, 12:36 PM
Back on heavy just now in Glasgow, its doing its on and off trick. I gave up clearing the drive and path a few days back. I forgot to get one of those wide snow shovels...too late every place sold out..
Bought rock salt and thought I’ll go back next week to get the shovel as I passed them. “doh”

Crombers
1st December 2010, 12:55 PM
Best car for me in snow is the wee Ka, goes a treat. Thin wheels, short wheel base, no gadgets to interfere with the feel under your feet. And if the worst happened, I wouldn't loose any sleep. Couldn't get the Jag off the drive :blush:

Same here Malcolm with the Punto, as you say no gadgets. Crunching through the white stuff having a hoot. And as you say, if the worst happened ...............

As for tailgaiting, give em a wee scare I say........well it is panto season & Im in full flow (evil grin)

Stewart
1st December 2010, 01:13 PM
http://trafficscotland.org/lev/#

Always liked the west/east cam at Braemore. its the last turn before you hit ullapool if you go the scenic route. snow all over theplace but skye looks not too bad.

Crombers
1st December 2010, 01:16 PM
http://trafficscotland.org/lev/#

Used daily in our place, very very useful

Stewart
6th December 2010, 10:40 AM
Well thats it back to a white out here! The road was clear and the drive now both are white and its mega thick stuff thats falling.

Glad I had the car out now on Saturday!

Craig
6th December 2010, 10:44 AM
Very heavy snow in Stirling this morning. Got to work but it took 3 times as long mostly due to amount of traffic!!!

Below is the picture of the main road into Stirling!! Anyone see a gritter :lol:

http://tapa.tk/mu/5284f844-b081-d3bf.jpg

N16SHP
6th December 2010, 10:50 AM
That's insane Craig, those roads look really bad, especially being a main road!! We had a light flurry last night, so hopefully that's all we get. Everything is just like bottles around here now, and when we drove home last night, it was -10.5. The best part was when some absolute morron in a 4x4 was tailing me as I was only doing 30 on black ice....so I just pulled over and let him past, hoping I'd pass him later when he landed in the ditch!! I felt like saying, just because you can get moving in a 4x4 doesn't mean your gonna stop in a 4x4:frown::frown:

GCA3N
6th December 2010, 11:08 AM
So glad I got down the road on Saturday Craig that looks like a nightmare mate. Be safe dude:thumbs up:

Craig
6th December 2010, 11:18 AM
Cheers guys ;). Another 3 to 4 inches have fallen since I got to work and there are rumours that that road in the picture is now closed !!!

I brought my sister to Stirling so she could get a train to Edinburg for her work but they cancelled them all and they have now cancelled all the buses so she is at my work with me :lol:

Stewart
6th December 2010, 11:27 AM
Thats the first I've seen the cars not making it up my road. Aberdeen looks to be missing it as its going right across the central belt and will be for a few hours.

AndyP & Lenore
6th December 2010, 11:32 AM
Cheers guys ;). Another 3 to 4 inches have fallen since I got to work and there are rumours that that road in the picture is now closed !!!

I brought my sister to Stirling so she could get a train to Edinburg for her work but they cancelled them all and they have now cancelled all the buses so she is at my work with me :lol:

Just get her to do your filing.:thumbs up:

A.:D

The Dogfather
6th December 2010, 12:08 PM
Next to be hit will be the Borders :D

AndyP & Lenore
6th December 2010, 12:15 PM
Next to be hit will be the Borders :D

Being hit. Right now.:argh::argh:

A.:argh::frown:

The Dogfather
6th December 2010, 12:42 PM
I'm wondering whether it'll make it to the North East before fizzling out

ELFMAN
6th December 2010, 03:02 PM
I got into work in Hamilton OK this morning, but from before 9.00am the snow has been piling down, so I packed it in at about 10.45am and got back to Larkhall on decidedly dodgy main roads - it was either that or get stranded! Hope you folks in the more rural areas as taking care - nastiest it's been so far. Thanks to the wee 106's low power and narrow tyres, the short (5 miles) trip wasn't too scary and kind of fun actually - but I wouldn't make a habit of it. The MINI would've been 'interesting' mainly in the 'Oh S**t' direction - even with the new tyres!

Stay safe, and if it's too bad, stay HOME!

stoney
6th December 2010, 03:26 PM
well christine is walking home from work as the whole place has come to a stand still think i just got home in time !!!!

Craig
6th December 2010, 04:05 PM
Got back from Stirling without too much of a problem however got stuck 50yds from my house due to there being snow about 18" deep!!!! Worst I have seen in my lifetime. Boys in the street came out and helped me to my drive ;)

Here are some more photos if my drive home. The first is outside police hq and the hospital !!

http://tapa.tk/mu/d48b30bd-fb29-2c9a.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/d48b30bd-fb41-28a6.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/d48b30bd-fb5a-53c7.jpg

http://tapa.tk/mu/d48b30bd-fb6d-9a6d.jpg

Please bear in mind that these are all priority 1 and 2 roads which are supposed to be ploughed and gritted :frown:

Mini Ecosse
6th December 2010, 04:17 PM
Attempted to go to Glasgow today.
Go to bottom end of Loch Lomond before being turned back by police, a lorry had overturned.

Boy were we impressed with the mini today:thumbs up::thumbs up:
No snow tyres and it behaved impeccably, in fact was doing better than some of the 4x4's and SUV's.

Gismo
6th December 2010, 04:33 PM
My daughter is flying into Aberdeen today, how bad is that area?

john
6th December 2010, 04:45 PM
Main roads are OK, want me to pick her up :popcorn:

Gismo
6th December 2010, 04:51 PM
Main roads are OK, want me to pick her up :popcorn:Thanks, but her sister and mother are doing the honours - soz for the off topic :Whistle:

Stewart
6th December 2010, 07:09 PM
Freezing fog now after the snow stopped. Had a wee bit of fun out in the street as me and a few others done the road as everything was getting stuck. M8 looks mad on the TV.

Craig
6th December 2010, 07:23 PM
Wish I could see tv.... :(. It's the 3rd time in 10 days sky has stopped working :frown: checked the dish and it ain't snow bound so it must be something else :argh:

stoney
7th December 2010, 09:05 AM
so any one here got stuck in the snow ????? i just manged to get home and no more !!!! next door got stranded at there work christine can not get to work this morning as her pals car is snowed in at her work and the GP is snowed in on the drive :lol:

Craig
7th December 2010, 10:14 AM
Got to work fine this morning... -13 tho.. Brrrrrr

Pirnhall roundabout is being used as a lorry park, first time I have ever seen that. Still driving on snow and ice on the main roads :frown:

The Dogfather
7th December 2010, 10:30 AM
Looks like for once the NE of England is missing the snow, well happy with that because I getting a bit sick of it

Burple
7th December 2010, 10:56 AM
A friend of ours took 8 1/2 hours to get home from Glasgow to Motherwell last night!!!!

ouch!

Fartin Martin
7th December 2010, 02:14 PM
Attempted to go to Glasgow today.
Go to bottom end of Loch Lomond before being turned back by police, a lorry had overturned.

Boy were we impressed with the mini today:thumbs up::thumbs up:
No snow tyres and it behaved impeccably, in fact was doing better than some of the 4x4's and SUV's.
I agree..a feel as if I'm the only person who is actually mobile! had no problems in the snow at all

Mon the fish
7th December 2010, 02:34 PM
Snowed in Alford yesterday for the 12th day in a row. Really pissed with it now.

Crombers
7th December 2010, 03:29 PM
A friend of ours took 8 1/2 hours to get home from Glasgow to Motherwell last night!!!!

ouch!

Colleague at work took 9.5 hours to get from East Kilbride to Bothwell. She left work at 3.30pm and got home at 01.00am

A sore one or what!!!!

ELFMAN
7th December 2010, 04:43 PM
Got up to go to work this morning to find it was -10 and the wee Pug was a block of ice welded to the driveway! I waited till it was light and dug myself a path out of the driveway, it was so cold the metal bits of the shovel got stuck to my gloves! I think I managed with only a couple of heart attacks.

Got down to the shops in Larkhall to post some stuff for my Dad and get provisions. Side roads pretty awful, and car parks hilarious - full of big fat-tyres cars with no grip whatsoever - the 106 just drove past them, bless it. Will try to get to work in Hamilton tomorrow... fingers crossed. It's not just the getting out that's the problem, it's the getting back later when everything freezes up again.

Roll on Springtime, I like a bit of snow at Christmas, but this isn't fun at all. Take care everybody!

stoney
7th December 2010, 06:22 PM
elfman you will get to your work 2morow the biggist prob is the blocks of ice that are welded on the road i took christines pal to her work to pick up the car was in the van most of the roads are clear just the cars abondond on the road that you have to watch

Scottie
7th December 2010, 07:14 PM
-15c going to work this morning just outside plean got to work no problem. However what really is getting on my nerves is it's like driving over cobbles with the hard packed bits of ice on the road it feels like my car is falling to bits sometimes going over it.

Got a scare tonight coming up to the roundabout at the pottery on bellsdyke rd in second slowing down car in front was stopped at the roundabout foot on the brake and the abs as pumping like hell foot off the brake thought here we go I was eyeing up the big bank of snow and thought I'll head for that but got a bit of grip at the last second and all ended well.

Craig
7th December 2010, 08:17 PM
thats the BIG problem at the moment Fi.... the gritters are so few and far between that they are having no effect on the ice underneath. Falkirk Council have fallen badly behind... :frown: the roads in Stirling council area are MUCH better... ;)

I had a few scares on the way home as I could feel the car moving around underneath me with the ice and the cobbles you mention? I have the exact same problem..! :frown:

not looking forward to the next few days.... :argh: although it's due to be 3c on thurs, 5c on fri and 6ish by Sat so maybe some of it will disappear for a day or so....!

Scottie
7th December 2010, 09:15 PM
yikes!!! where was that about.

Scottie
7th December 2010, 09:20 PM
I wonder what went wrong? why did the councils got it so wrong......complacent maybe with recent winter weather... perhaps it would have been an idea instead of spending a million quid on those stupid blue wavy things at the side of the road at cumbernauld they could have spent it on a snow plough or something.

thats the BIG problem at the moment Fi.... the gritters are so few and far between that they are having no effect on the ice underneath. Falkirk Council have fallen badly behind... :frown: the roads in Stirling council area are MUCH better... ;)

I had a few scares on the way home as I could feel the car moving around underneath me with the ice and the cobbles you mention? I have the exact same problem..! :frown:

not looking forward to the next few days.... :argh: although it's due to be 3c on thurs, 5c on fri and 6ish by Sat so maybe some of it will disappear for a day or so....!

Scottie
7th December 2010, 09:21 PM
and another annoying thing perhaps employers could lay of the guilt trip should we choose not to travel to work... like that will ever happen.

The Dogfather
7th December 2010, 09:32 PM
ice is a real problem here as well, you have grip on the packed snow but when there's ice underneath you just sail on through.

Neil - TXJ
7th December 2010, 09:34 PM
yikes!!! where was that about.

Borders, between Penicuik and Peebles.

Craig
7th December 2010, 10:56 PM
and another annoying thing perhaps employers could lay of the guilt trip should we choose not to travel to work... like that will ever happen.

Exactly Fi. All police in central belt told people not to travel today unless essential but businesses saying if you don't come in to work then lose a days pay or a days holiday. I wonder how they would feel if someone was to lose a life instead. :frown:

Irresponsible behaviour by employees with the state if the roads.... And some of the worst offenders are the councils who should be keeping the roads in a safe condition !! :argh:

Sheilz
7th December 2010, 11:59 PM
.... And some of the worst offenders are the councils who should be keeping the roads in a safe condition !! :argh:.

speaking of which. Tomorrow am due to drive down to Larbert. We are due to confab about this at 7am however any info from locals appreciated. I'm assuming that the main roads will be ok and more concerned about after the M90. Any road in better condition than another?

GCA3N
8th December 2010, 12:00 AM

speaking of which. Tomorrow am due to drive down to Larbert. We are due to confab about this at 7am however any info from locals appreciated. I'm assuming that the main roads will be ok and more concerned about after the M90. Any road in better condition than another?

Take care there are bound to be some awful conditions on the route.

Scottie
8th December 2010, 12:13 AM
where about in Larbert you going this is a typical pic of the side roads today M90 should be ok I think but I come down the A9 I know that is in very good condition at the moment to the M9 cut off stirling services

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/scottiecoop/DSCF0036-1.jpg

Sheilz
8th December 2010, 01:27 AM
Allanbank Road which is just round the corner from the railway station. Was thinking that perhaps we could drive to Stirling and take a train from there to Larbert that's if the roads off the M90 are poor. Normal route is Abz, Dundee, past Stirling and turn off at Kilsyth/Bonnybridge. Meeting is important and could take months to re-schedule which is a bit of a no no.

Sheilz
8th December 2010, 01:30 AM
where is the A91 ?

AndyP & Lenore
8th December 2010, 01:38 AM
where is the A91 ?

A91 (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=a91&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=16.973616,46.538086&ie=UTF8&hq=a91&hnear=United+Kingdom&ll=56.158553,-3.714752&spn=0.124659,0.363579&z=12)

A.

Sheilz
8th December 2010, 02:12 AM
A91 (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=a91&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=16.973616,46.538086&ie=UTF8&hq=a91&hnear=United+Kingdom&ll=56.158553,-3.714752&spn=0.124659,0.363579&z=12)

A.

LOL Thanks Andy. First thought you were being a smartie pants then realised it was a link

:blush::thumbs up:

Mon the fish
8th December 2010, 08:30 AM
A91 might not be great - it's the hillfoots road, and can get snow quite bad, when Stirling is clear. Few twisties on it too

The Dogfather
8th December 2010, 09:01 AM
Looks like people should brace themselves for another onslaught after a brief respite over the weekend. Its still early day for forecasting but the cold looks like it could be with us right up to Christmas Eve, maybe longer.

stoney
8th December 2010, 09:52 AM
Looks like people should brace themselves for another onslaught after a brief respite over the weekend. Its still early day for forecasting but the cold looks like it could be with us right up to Christmas Eve, maybe longer.

i seen this as well i just want to get the mini cleand all this snow is doing my head in !!!

GCA3N
8th December 2010, 10:09 AM
LOL Thanks Andy. First thought you were being a smartie pants then realised it was a link

:blush::thumbs up:

I have to admit I thought he was taking the mickey too.

Lady Mck
8th December 2010, 04:12 PM
Haven't been on for a bit as fed up with my mini's **** tyres and have been a mood with him! Last year I had a wee ford ka that was great in the snow but mini is crap! yes I have runflats and heard they are crap but seriously do I really have to buy new winter shoes for my car?? and does size matter? lol

Colin
8th December 2010, 04:34 PM
Haven't been on for a bit as fed up with my mini's **** tyres and have been a mood with him! Last year I had a wee ford ka that was great in the snow but mini is crap! yes I have runflats and heard they are crap but seriously do I really have to buy new winter shoes for my car?? and does size matter? lol

No you dont.... but you would notice a massive difference. For snow the narrower the tyre the better. Plus if you go for a smaller size its cheaper. Winter tyres are not just for snow they start to out perform summer tyres at temps below 7 DegC.

Lady Mck
8th December 2010, 05:54 PM
thanks Colin..I do love my mini but will have to think about new shoes cos I just cant drive him!

Neil - TXJ
8th December 2010, 06:32 PM
Had to get to Glasgow today from Peebles. Couldn't take M8, closed so thought take train but not running. Eventually went M9 and then A80. A80 some of worst conditions I have ever seen and so uncomfortable, was like driving over cobble stones for 3 hours. Just glad I only have 16" wheels and it isn't lowered.

Took 4.5 hours to get their and 2.5 hours to get back - a great day.

Trigger.

Mini Ecosse
8th December 2010, 07:08 PM
Well no snow in Oban:thumbs up:
Pretty cold this morning minus 4 C
Just back from collecting Ally from work and the temp has risen to plus 4C:thumbs up::thumbs up:

Stewart
8th December 2010, 07:13 PM
I was not impressed with the RF. Just ordered four new tyres there uniroyal non RF that will be getting fitted Monday. I've been needing tyres on the front for months. I'll sell on the rear that have a good bit of life left in them.

-8 here today.

Scottie
8th December 2010, 07:23 PM
speaking with our local tyre fitter they sold £7000 worth of winter tyres in two days and this is not a big place

Scottie
8th December 2010, 07:26 PM
another annoying thing about all this snow.. I've not had my Next (the clothes shop) delivery order a week past friday.:argh::argh:

stoney
8th December 2010, 07:40 PM

dont have to but i like mine you could just get normal rubber and they would be better than run flats !!!! no rubber is better than run flats :lol:

Crombers
8th December 2010, 07:42 PM
What is really hacking me off at the moment is folk 'hiding' behind the current conditions!
Yeah there are some folk who are maybe genuinely stuck living in many of the more rural areas but when I look at the number of 'no shows' amongst some of my staff and knowing where they live then no sorry, many folk are simply at it!!
Snow comes down on Monday & I get the call from Karen at 2pm to start preparing to dig my car out, job done. Started off at 9pm and took 1 hour to get to work (Newton Mearns to East Kilbride) on time at 10pm. Turnout for nightshift, less than 30%. (oh & this is in no way to slight those who were stuck on Monday afternoon & evening as gridlock set in big time as this would have been horrendous). Then last night set off at 9pm and got to work in 1/2 an hour, things obviously improving on the roads. Get to work and yes attendance levels have improved but yet again the usual suspects 'hiding' behind the conditions, who live nowhere near the worst affected areas & do not use the roads that have been affected!!
On the way to work last night my exhaust gave up the ghost before the rear silencer and was left precariously suspended by just one bracket. Went to start the Punto this morning at 7am (another late departure as day shift colleagues claimed they struggled to get their cars on the move!) and the battery said feck you matey, it's -16 & I ain't got enough poke to get things going! Magic stuff eh! So out with the jump leads and we get things going again. Easy for me at this point to just head for home and just use this as my excuse at 9pm tonight to waive my attendance at work. But no that just ain't in my makeup. Off to the local garage this morning at 8.30am (well after my bed time) to get things sort of sorted. Exhaust yanked off with small crowbar and a new battery fitted FOC as it was less than a year old and I was told it should certainly have lived longer than it did.

So I'm again ready to get to work again tonight (with one very loud Punto) as some others will still be sitting cosied up in there homes giving it the two fingers!!!

To$$ers!!!!

stoney
8th December 2010, 07:57 PM
thats some rant crombers :lol: but no i am with you on this !!! i dont have much coice as its just me and my dad so we have to go places and do are work !!!

Sheilz
8th December 2010, 09:56 PM
Cooncil workers get a lot of stick about snow days etc etc but no sign of that in Abz. On the days when it was really pretty grim up this way our boss delved deep into the kindness of her heart and let those who don't live in the city go home at 4.30pm but only as long as we city dwellers stayed till the bitter end. By the end of last week, she melted a little (the only thing that was melting) to give us permission to minimize visits etc so that we weren't at risk. Woman's a saint :Whistle:
Its quite a dilemma for folk though isnt it? On one hand the coppers are advising folk to avoid travel on the other guilt trips from employers for being off. Another point I think is everyone has different levels of risk taking behaviour. A good example for me was one colleague going to Inverness on Monday while another colleague going to the same meeting turned back at Huntly (which did not impress the senior who'd made it to the meeting). Second person wasn't being lazy, she just lacked the confidence to tackle the glens where as the other one is all over the country on a weekly basis.
I think as long as employers are understanding that lateness is at times unavoidable when the weather's as it is and are prepared to at least pretend to value employees enough to let them go earlier when its appropriate then I think the majority of people would put in the effort.

We chickened out of our trip today though. Think that makes us a right couple of wooses. But have to go to Airdrie on Friday so am hoping the worst affected routes are sorted by then.

LOL on another note last Friday I got a phone call at work from my daughter's form teacher to express his concern that she'd been late for school every morning last week. Asking me if I understood that she was missing important information by missing registration (she along with heck of a lot other pupils) I truthfully told him I really was at a loss about what to say to him! I remembered where I was and fact she still has another five years of school to go otherwise I would have known exactly what to tell him. Numpty! Fifteen min drive to school taking on average of hour and a half.

The Dogfather
8th December 2010, 09:58 PM
Agree with you on that Crombers, I've managed to get to Darlington everyday I've tried (70 mile round trip, from a rural area) and there's quite a few who've claimed they are snowed in who live less that 10 miles away.

Fortunately I'm in a position were I can work just as easily from home so I'm staying home as much as I can.

GCA3N
8th December 2010, 10:00 PM
Cooncil workers get a lot of stick about snow days etc etc but no sign of that in Abz. On the days when it was really pretty grim up this way our boss delved deep into the kindness of her heart and let those who don't live in the city go home at 4.30pm but only as long as we city dwellers stayed till the bitter end. By the end of last week, she melted a little (the only thing that was melting) to give us permission to minimize visits etc so that we weren't at risk. Woman's a saint :Whistle:
Its quite a dilemma for folk though isnt it? On one hand the coppers are advising folk to avoid travel on the other guilt trips from employers for being off. Another point I think is everyone has different levels of risk taking behaviour. A good example for me was one colleague going to Inverness on Monday while another colleague going to the same meeting turned back at Huntly (which did not impress the senior who'd made it to the meeting). Second person wasn't being lazy, she just lacked the confidence to tackle the glens where as the other one is all over the country on a weekly basis.
I think as long as employers are understanding that lateness is at times unavoidable when the weather's as it is and are prepared to at least pretend to value employees enough to let them go earlier when its appropriate then I think the majority of people would put in the effort.

We chickened out of our trip today though. Think that makes us a right couple of wooses. But have to go to Airdrie on Friday so am hoping the worst affected routes are sorted by then.

LOL on another note last Friday I got a phone call at work from my daughter's form teacher to express his concern that she'd been late for school every morning last week. Asking me if I understood that she was missing important information by missing registration (she along with heck of a lot other pupils) I truthfully told him I really was at a loss about what to say to him! I remembered where I was and fact she still has another five years of school to go otherwise I would have known exactly what to tell him. Numpty! Fifteen min drive to school taking on average of hour and a half.

Some excellent points there, for some driving in conditions like this hardly phase them for others it can be a nightmare.

Lady Mck
9th December 2010, 04:34 PM
Have to agree with Sheilz,I have been walking to work(only half an hour away so fine) not only because of my mini's awful RF tyres but as I lack confidence and knowledge on how to drive on these kind of roads..I lost control once of a 4X4 and that was horrible,Just won't take the chance now

Penny Louise
9th December 2010, 04:54 PM
Well this is my first winter experience with the Cooper S and have to say I'm quite impressed... was getting through the first few inches with minor problems but then when we had the massive snowfall, I started to struggle getting back into my street as there's steep parts to the road at some points. Last Tuesday I had to get a push from some of my neighbours then got into my drive and that was me untill Friday... worst 4 days of my life!! Mega cabin fever... so every morning, afternoon and night, I was starting the car and letting it heat up/clear the snow and then on the Thursday I decided I'd had enough and attempted to take it out (much to my mums disappointment!!) Thought it would be fine as it's downhill in my street and few neighbours have got 4x4s so had made tracks but only got a few feet to the first corner and was grounded... couldnt go forward or back so few of my neighbours who were out shovelling snow anyway tried to help me but the sump and the splitter were just digging the snow up underneath the car. For being standard cars, they're a lot lower than you think!! so eventually had to get towed by one of the 4x4s in my street back into my drive... was gutted!! But I'm out now thanks for the guy who came round in the digger and cleared it for us and it's great to drive on the roads. Obviously it slides on the patches of ice but doesnt go anywhere near out of control! Really chuffed with the wee thing :-)

The Dogfather
24th December 2010, 01:09 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs355.ash2/63550_486406379755_608494755_5608499_6330366_n.jpg

Well, I had to give up going the direct route to the farm to collect the Christmas roasts. If you look a few meters in front of the MINI there's a pile of snow that I'd been ploughing along. I decide that if I'd have carried on I'd probably would have got stuck and needed to dig out :argh:

I had to go the tourist route ;)

GCA3N
24th December 2010, 01:33 PM
WOW paul looks mega deep mate.

Gismo
24th December 2010, 01:56 PM
Just back in after sun bathing during my lunch time :Whistle:

Burple
24th December 2010, 02:26 PM
Just back in after sun bathing during my lunch time :Whistle:

Pff... *Throws massive snowball* :laugh::laugh:

Mini Ecosse
24th December 2010, 03:08 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs355.ash2/63550_486406379755_608494755_5608499_6330366_n.jpg

Well, I had to give up going the direct route to the farm to collect the Christmas roasts. If you look a few meters in front of the MINI there's a pile of snow that I'd been ploughing along. I decide that if I'd have carried on I'd probably would have got stuck and needed to dig out :argh:

I had to go the tourist route ;)

Wow, amazing photo.
Only a dusting of snow here on the west coast although the night time temp is -12.

N16SHP
24th December 2010, 05:03 PM
Get this, I had to dig my way INTO my own carpark....this is just getting ridiculous and we're only into December! Really thinking about throwing in the towel!!!

Neil - TXJ
31st December 2010, 10:46 AM
What's all this green stuff I can see all over the ground - I am only used to seeing white!!!

KenL
31st December 2010, 10:50 AM
What golf course is that Trigger?

Both my courses are still closed.

Neil - TXJ
31st December 2010, 12:43 PM
What golf course is that Trigger?

Both my courses are still closed.

Cadrona - not sure it is open as it struggles with being waterlogged. It doesn't get a lot of use during winter so not easy to tell if it is open or closed!

Craig
8th January 2011, 12:24 PM
More snow last night :thud: another 3 to 4 inches had to be cleared from the drive this morning and I don't think its finished.... :snow: :motoring:

The Dogfather
8th January 2011, 12:41 PM
It'll probably turn to rain Craig, supposed to be mild next week but looking like there's a chance of real cold again during the second half of the month.....

mini-pea
8th January 2011, 01:10 PM
We got 1ft of snow last night, so i spent the last 2 hrs clearing the driveway and the cars of snow :frown:

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii131/x5pea3/photo-2-1.jpg

N16SHP
8th January 2011, 02:29 PM
More snow last night :thud: another 3 to 4 inches had to be cleared from the drive this morning and I don't think its finished.... :snow: :motoring:

Nice smiley use Craig!!

Forbes
8th January 2011, 02:58 PM
We got 1ft of snow last night, so i spent the last 2 hrs clearing the driveway and the cars of snow :frown:

Is that the project car?

GCA3N
8th January 2011, 05:20 PM

A foot!!!! Where the heck r u?

Craig
8th January 2011, 08:13 PM
started snowing here again... :argh: thats another inch in about an hour.... and looking at radar there is more to come... :snow:

mini-pea
8th January 2011, 11:04 PM
A foot!!!! Where the heck r u?

near lanark mate, although looking at that pic u wouldn't believe it