PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tyres and Wheel...ugh decisions!

N16SHP
25th November 2010, 11:56 PM
Well after sliding around in the snow the last two days, I think i'm gonna have to actually bite the bullet and get some winter shoes!

Ideally, I'd love to just keep the crown spokes as it saves so much money rather than buying new rims, but with them being 17's, i doubt it's going to be possible. So what do you folks the tire experts recommend?

Craig
26th November 2010, 12:06 AM
I have nokian wrg2's and they are awesome !! I have them on my s spokes - they are 215/45/17 and I got them for mytyres. They were £100 a corner ;)

N16SHP
26th November 2010, 12:09 AM
Also, being a bit of a thicko when it comes to tyres, can someone explain the difference between 215 and 205's for example, as there seems to be more choice in 215's but would these fit my crown spokes??

Craig
26th November 2010, 12:48 AM
It just means they are 10mm wider ...... 215 is the width in mm of the tyres. The crown spokes will take them no problem ;)

The Dogfather
26th November 2010, 03:50 AM
I'd also go with Craig's suggestion, they aren't the highest rated tyre but they suit the climate of the UK well as they work when the temps increase as well.

N16SHP
26th November 2010, 03:26 PM
Cool, I know that what I have on now are speed rating V, should this stay the same? Cos at the moment I am looking at the Nokians in 215, 45, 17 V? Oh, and they've been cheeky and chucked an extra £10er on since last night:hand::hand:

The Dogfather
26th November 2010, 06:11 PM
V is fine, to be honest speed rating doesn't seem to matter with winters, as long as you don't exceed that speed obviously

stoney
26th November 2010, 06:54 PM
i have toyo's on my 17 and they are 205/40/17 and very good so far :yes nod:

Scottie
26th November 2010, 07:44 PM
I had the toyo last year the nokians this year will be interesting to see which ones perform better got no snow yet however

Sheilz
26th November 2010, 07:48 PM
Lots more snow here. Up in Mastrick snowed almost the whole day. Twice had to dig Dougall out but lucky it was nice light fluffy snow so wasn't too much of a hardship.

stoney
27th November 2010, 12:19 AM
i was in abberdeen center to day at the NHS and it snowed all day :yes nod:

Neil - TXJ
27th November 2010, 03:47 PM
Have winter tyres on my MCS and they have been great in the snow today. Most noticable difference is the ability to stop which causes challenges when you can stop but the car behind can't! This morning ended up with a car beside me on the kerb, but at least he missed me.

Trigger.

Hogman
27th November 2010, 05:00 PM
Am looking into winter tyres at the mo, the best are the Vredenstein Snowtrac 3's but they are abit more expensive!

Nobody has any in stock though, and prices are rising by the minute.

Got loads of snow here in Aberdeenshire, 10 inches at the mo and its still snowing!!!

Scottie
27th November 2010, 06:07 PM
was out and about in the little snow that we had so took the back road from Torwood (locals will know the road) snow tyres performed plenty good enough and up at my mums again not a spin to be had..

Although.. I've got to say no matter how good my snow driving is or how good my tyres are you just can't account for the other idiots driving their car

a wee Toyota.....on the back road.... saw him coming towards me i thought h'mm that guy is not driving according to the conditions so I slowed almost to a stop and sure enough he came round the corner his back end swung out on his wee car and I just thought that was bl00dy lucky if I kept going he would have swiped me.

stoney
27th November 2010, 09:12 PM
well i used my toyos in the snow the day and they where fantastic :yes nod:

Roscoe
4th December 2010, 12:17 PM
Interesting to see this thread. Have brought Ladymck's Cooper to work with me this morning and was shocked at how he performed in the snow. Very little traction at all, whereas, in the same places, my 206 got on fine. He's got 17 inch wheels with, I think, Michelin run flats.

Toying with the idea of a spare set of wheels and more winter bias tyres, when funds permit!

Stewart
4th December 2010, 02:14 PM
Was out today and although the car came up the clear drive with a slight frost, I took it up the road and put it on the snow and I would never take it out on roads with inches of snow with the RF. Glasgow main roads are fine and my street has been kept clear by gritters most nights. It more or less melting now so black ice at night.
Think even if it's a mini it's a heavy small car that's for sure. I'm hoping this is it but one of mates says he read it's to came back over the next few weeks.

Fester
4th December 2010, 02:30 PM
I've put my original steel 15" wheels back on this morning with the original pirelli p3000 all season tyres and I now have grip. May just leave them on for the winter now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N16SHP
4th December 2010, 02:58 PM
Was out today and although the car came up the clear drive with a slight frost, I took it up the road and put it on the snow and I would never take it out on roads with inches of snow with the RF. Glasgow main roads are fine and my street has been kept clear by gritters most nights. It more or less melting now so black ice at night.
Think even if it's a mini it's a heavy small car that's for sure. I'm hoping this is it but one of mates says he read it's to came back over the next few weeks.

Well reading the local paper this morning, it says we have more snow on the way by Sunday night :(

Flash_Amber
4th December 2010, 03:24 PM
My Cooper with 17" wheels and run flats is awful in the snow, its like a donkey on an ice rink! Thats why I have taken hubby's Mini one with 15" steel wheels and narrow tyres and left him with the donkey!!!

stoney
4th December 2010, 03:46 PM
i have to say i have been out on the snow the day with budget winter tyers on my van they where the only ones i could find in stock they are fantastic i could not belive it :lol: so much grip defo worth geting a set of winter boots for your car IMO

The Dogfather
4th December 2010, 05:08 PM
I've put my original steel 15" wheels back on this morning with the original pirelli p3000 all season tyres and I now have grip. May just leave them on for the winter now.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P3000 are classed as all seasons? I would have said they were summer tyres.