PDA

View Full Version : Idling Noise

Penny Louise
24th November 2010, 02:41 PM
Hey guys,

Been reading a few posts on here about noisey engines but not sure mines is the same issue.

When I first got the car I never really noticed this but as times went on, I've noticed that when the car is idling (whether hot or cold) there is a almost squeaking (probably a really bad description - sorry but its hard to explain unless you hear it/know what Im talking about) constantly. Last week, thats why I decided to go and buy some decent oil and I've topped it up but clearly has nothing to do with the noise. My brother heard it last night and he mentioned something about the tensioner pulley? and said it might need replaced? Does this make any sense to anyone or does anyone else get the same noise when idling?

Gismo
24th November 2010, 03:44 PM
Sounds like you're car is suffering the idler tensior problem, if you've still got warranty get it checked out as soon as possible and don't let any dealer fob you off

Knox18
24th November 2010, 03:49 PM
timing belt tensioner! it sounds horrible! from what i know, BMW have released 19 different tensioners since 2007!

Penny Louise
24th November 2010, 03:54 PM
Not got warranty as it was a private sale... hoping its not going to be anything too costly but thats the joys of motoring eh. Within a week of my Golf going up for sale, I had to replace the timing belt and water pump - was raging lol!

Think I might try and get this looked at properly because if it's something serious, I don't want it to get worse...

Mon the fish
24th November 2010, 06:39 PM
Tensioner normally rattles, not squeak - sounds more like a belt to me. What mileage has the car done? Could be supercharger belt

Penny Louise
25th November 2010, 03:20 PM
this is definitely more of a squeak than a rattle. My other half says he's going to take a proper look at it over the weekend because he thinks it'll be a belt.

Gismo
25th November 2010, 04:42 PM
Ah, then try spraying WD40 on the belt as the engine is running, if it cures the squeal then it's the belt right enough, this isn't a fix cause once the WD40 dries out the aqueal will return

Penny Louise
25th November 2010, 05:37 PM
thats exactly what we're going to try first, then take it from there :)