PDA

View Full Version : Mini Cooper s R53 2005 Key FOB problem

Stoneyginger
22nd November 2010, 11:11 PM
just bought this car to find that the spare key is not working, i can open and close the car but not use the buttons to open close and arm the alarm. Main key works fine but this one clearly has not been used in a long time so the battery is dead. Can you program the key back once charged easily or is it something that only a dealer could do?

Stewart
23rd November 2010, 12:28 AM
Dont know mate , Can you start the car with it, if so I'd try it out on a run and it may charge it. Right now I swap them about every few months to keep them going.

N16SHP
23rd November 2010, 11:43 AM
When I test drove an R53, I had the same problem, and it was because the key had not been used, and it lost it's charge, and has to be re-done I think by the dealer. That's why they tell you to rotate the keys, but in the real world, not everyone does that.

Fartin Martin
23rd November 2010, 12:05 PM
now dont quote me on this..but..from what I remember my mate saying to re-programme it..you open the car sit in it..and press the unlock button twice..this is how they reprogramme it in the dealers and charge 80+ bucks for it! if that doesnt work then..its a new key if you NEED to replace it! happened to both keys on my cooper..never bothered replacing..was a pain in the back side though..untill I got the new car! :D

Mon the fish
23rd November 2010, 02:43 PM
JC's Aberdeen charged me £16 for this last week, not that bad

Fartin Martin
23rd November 2010, 04:48 PM
JC's Aberdeen charged me £16 for this last week, not that bad
£16??????????????????????? WTF!! I was well and truely DONE!! :(

N16SHP
23rd November 2010, 04:59 PM

Ha ha, gutted, you said it mate!

Mon the fish
23rd November 2010, 06:45 PM

It's cos I'm a handsome chap :smilewinkgrin:

Fartin Martin
23rd November 2010, 07:18 PM
It's cos I'm a handsome chap :smilewinkgrin:

haha..oh ye ain't seen me pal..lol :p well ragin..awell..what can you do eh! older and wiser now..I think...

Stoneyginger
23rd November 2010, 10:32 PM
i managed to reprogram the key last night with some information i googled ;) if you like i shall share it :)

Step 1 take the main key used, place in the ignition and turn to just before engine start so dials are lit up - turn back off and remove from ignition then straight away press and hold unlock while pressing the lock button 3 times - however on the third press release the unlock button at the same time - nothing happens but quickly follow step 2

Step 2 take the second key that is not working and do exactly as step 1 however do not put it in the ignition just do the button sequence, the car will lock and unlock afterwards letting you know the key that was not working is now active.

Is there away to top this in a forum somewhere?

Stoneyginger
23rd November 2010, 11:11 PM
you have to do the second key within 30 seconds, i hope this saves you all some money!

Mon the fish
24th November 2010, 08:32 AM
Thanks, I'll try this later - when I got my main key re-programmed last week, I got home to discover the spare was also goosed!

Mon the fish
25th November 2010, 11:17 AM
Just to confirm this does work - had to do it twice (central locking didn't go the first time), and the locking goes inbetween the 2 keys as well as at the end.

Good find!