PDA

View Full Version : Good evening - need your help and advice!

totalMINI-Jon
16th November 2010, 10:04 PM
Hello everyone!

Jon here from totalMINI (as if you couldn't tell by my ever imaginative username) :p

I'm planning a 'drive' up to the very North of Scotland (i.e. John O'Groats) sometime in the next six months, and being very naiive and having never made it north of the border, I need to ask your advice!

Firstly, if you were planning such an event, are there any times to avoid? Any major events that would hinder hotel availability, or any times when roads up there become inpassable?

Secondly, can anyone reccommend anywhere to stop overnight after what could be a very long trip up there?

I'll fill you all in on the full details once I have them ;)

Cheers folks

Jon

Doug_m
16th November 2010, 10:24 PM
Go on your sixth month, better time for good road conditions and better weather.

Not from around or been that way so cant help any pther way lol

The Dogfather
16th November 2010, 10:28 PM
Stirling would be about halfway and as chance would have it there's a cracking B&B that Scottie's brother owns. All the people who stayed there when doing the Highland Tour raved about it.

Other than that the only issue would be the weather, last winter was really bad for snow even the main roads were badly affected. If you can do it a short notice I'd keep an eye on the 5 day forecasts and go when the weather turns mild.

The Dogfather
16th November 2010, 10:31 PM
Here's a link to the B&B - http://www.abbeycraig.com/

If you stick to the main roads these are usually well gritted so even if there's a little bit of snow around you'll still be OK.

Shame its not May as you could have got in with the Highland Tour as we are heading to Thurso this year.

Craig
16th November 2010, 10:54 PM
Hi Jon, met you the night before Mikeys show at the meal. I was sitting across from Andrey and Emma ;)

Stirling is a good stopover, plus there is a tesco just round the corner from Scotties brothers for good fuel ;). As Paul says the weather can be bad in winter and even the main road can have the snow gates closed and that's even before getting to Inverness !! ;)

Let us know your route and schedule and we can help more ;)

totalMINI-Jon
16th November 2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks folks :)

Looking to run a charity drive from the deep south of England to John O'Groats with economy being the main aim, so it'll be sticking to the main roads to maximise the mpg.

Realistically looking at the last week in march, so that the return leg finishes at the charity ball in Northampton on April 2nd.

Btw - posting on tapatalk, glad you folks have it :)

Thanks again

Jon

totalMINI-Jon
16th November 2010, 11:12 PM
Little addition too, there will be no stopover, it'll be a straight drive all the way...

Thus a place to stay in J O'G or nearby would be good- if such places exist?

The Dogfather
16th November 2010, 11:16 PM
There's plenty of places around Wick as its the main airport for the rigs and Shetlands. There's also cheap fuel at the tescos as well.

totalMINI-Jon
16th November 2010, 11:18 PM
Thank you kindly :)

totalMINI-Jon
18th November 2010, 03:22 PM
Okay folks, I've set the date as a departure on March 31st 2011 from my home down south, arriving in John O'Groats mid morning on the 1st April 2011!

I'll then stop the night over, and head back on Saturday 2nd to arrive in Northampton just in time for the tM Charity Ball ;)

I'm aiming to do the complete journey (676 miles) on one tank :eek:

More details will appear on tM in the next few weeks ;)

Craig
18th November 2010, 03:33 PM
Did you not mean "tanker" rather than tank :lol:

Let us know rough times for when your passing Glasgow etc and some of us could join you for part of your run ;)

Stewart
18th November 2010, 03:45 PM
Such a shame you’re more or less battering up and down the road and sticking to the main roads. The West Coast is outstanding.
Up and down on a full tank in a S that will be a close call, I recon I could get over 450 miles in my Cooper 40L if I was really trying for the max MPG. Unless you are doing it in a D. THe S has 50L does it not so you might make it.:thumbs up:

Good luck with it all if you get the Weather it will be a nice drive up.