PDA

View Full Version : Student Protest

Gismo
11th November 2010, 01:10 PM
wtf is going on there, i can understand their point and agree to a certain extent with it, but, they have simply degenerated the entire event into chaos and now have no chance of making any claim to getting the cuts they want.
To think that parents mostly fork out for their fee's, can you imagine if they could spot their kid rampaging on TV :frown:
I'd certainly chuck them out of their respective uni and let them fend for themselves without the luxury of the uni life :popcorn:

N16SHP
11th November 2010, 02:23 PM
As a student, can I just say that I was appauled to see what was going on. But as was said on the news, the protest was hi-jacked by people who were out to just cause carnage. I will admit that yes there were definitely students involved, but the majority were there to protest peacefully!

AndyP & Lenore
11th November 2010, 02:36 PM
When I think of the millions of armed forces personnel who died fighting to keep this country a democracy so that the very right of those who wish to do so, can demonstrate in public when they disagree with a government policy without fear of recrimination. When you see they way some of these a$$holes were rioting (not demonstrating) I think it's incredibly disrespectful to those who gave their lives and continue to give their lives. Particularly poignant considering the "demonstrating" took place the day before Armistice Day.

A.

Stewart
11th November 2010, 02:53 PM
You’ll just get arses that could not care less and just out to Damage and Riot for the sake of it. Instead of the general public feeling sympathy for there cause it’s been lost by the Media showing and a don’t doubt a good few were not students go on the riot.

ELFMAN
11th November 2010, 03:40 PM
I was a student in the 80's, so you can bet I did my fair share of demonstrating (in fact I haven't given up that hard-won privilege even these days), but as far as I can remember it was all fairly peaceful bar the odd shouting match/scuffle with those of a more Right-Wing persuasion. Seems these days there's a sizeable minority who'll hijack any protest for their own ends - eg to get in a kick at the Boys in Blue, or a few windows. It's like 'Rent-An Anarchist'. I'm sure some of them think that by 'Smashing the State' things will improve - just don't ask them to fund and run the NHS or put out a fire...

The worst aspect is that when this sort of thing kicks off, any legitimate protest gets lost in the media furore and in this case, the 'Anti-Student' backlash, so all the rioters actually do is put the boot into the right to protest and those who wish to do so peacefully, not the 'Fascist State'. Not clever really.

GCA3N
11th November 2010, 08:15 PM
When I think of the millions of armed forces personnel who died fighting to keep this country a democracy so that the very right of those who wish to do so, can demonstrate in public when they disagree with a government policy without fear of recrimination. When you see they way some of these a$$holes were rioting (not demonstrating) I think it's incredibly disrespectful to those who gave their lives and continue to give their lives. Particularly poignant considering the "demonstrating" took place the day before Armistice Day.

A.

Well said Andy.

The Dogfather
11th November 2010, 08:58 PM
Mind you, I think given the promises made by the LDs with regard to fees I can understand why people are unhappy. Doesn't justify the trouble though.

Sheilz
11th November 2010, 09:39 PM
Frankly I'm not surprised at what happened. I think there will be a lot more of this by the time the cuts have impacted on the population. I dont like violence however if they had to trash something then have to say they chose their target well. the point is all these assholes in govt benefited from free education with generous grants. These same people had the opportunity to travel abroad for the whole summer smoking pot, picking grapes etc etc. On top of that third year was a gas, no exams and little if any studying. Compare their student experience to that of today's students and guess what I'm totally on the student's side. How dare those who benefited from free education condemn our youngsters to a lifetime of debt. Not all university degrees lead to highly paid careers, that doesn't mean they are any less valuable on less well renumerated. University and college education does not have to be such a burden on the taxpayer if all the third rate university courses for folk who clearly are not university material were scrapped
. All it has done has devalued higher education to the point that an undergraduate degree is almost worthless without the post grad qualification on top of it. We need to get back to that time when polytechnics were valued for turning out highly trained engineers, chemists and technicians. What do we have now? Third rate unviersties handing out degrees for 'pretend' courses that really make a mockery of the word education. But then again it was a good way to hide youth unemployment. Society needs to begin appreciating all levels of education whether its astro physics, media and communication or practical apprenticeships.

Besides protesting and yes rioting what else do the masses have? Has the nations's spirit been that broken that we are prepared to roll over and let the government shaft us while they protect their own wealth and privilege? Do politicians and officials listen to reason and argument? I'd say not. If the student protest had gone off without incident, it would have been dismissed already.

I also disagree with the attempt to compare that to our soldiers in Afghanistan. Those in government now sat around smoking thier pot while other young men were in Vietnam, Suez etc etc. And when these soldiers come home from war and decide they'd like to go to uni after risking their lives for the country, let's be emotive, should they be then burdened by massive student debt? What about those students who may wish to join the forces after they've been to uni, do they deserve being burdened by debt? The answer simply is 'No'.

I benefited from a free education. It was my right then and its others' right in the future.

We either stand up for ourselves and future generations or you roll over and be shafted by government. Take your choice.
(ok have taken my tranquilizers)

Burple
12th November 2010, 11:18 AM
Frankly I'm not surprised at what happened. I think there will be a lot more of this by the time the cuts have impacted on the population. I dont like violence however if they had to trash something then have to say they chose their target well. the point is all these assholes in govt benefited from free education with generous grants. These same people had the opportunity to travel abroad for the whole summer smoking pot, picking grapes etc etc. On top of that third year was a gas, no exams and little if any studying. Compare their student experience to that of today's students and guess what I'm totally on the student's side. How dare those who benefited from free education condemn our youngsters to a lifetime of debt. Not all university degrees lead to highly paid careers, that doesn't mean they are any less valuable on less well renumerated. University and college education does not have to be such a burden on the taxpayer if all the third rate university courses for folk who clearly are not university material were scrapped
. All it has done has devalued higher education to the point that an undergraduate degree is almost worthless without the post grad qualification on top of it. We need to get back to that time when polytechnics were valued for turning out highly trained engineers, chemists and technicians. What do we have now? Third rate unviersties handing out degrees for 'pretend' courses that really make a mockery of the word education. But then again it was a good way to hide youth unemployment. Society needs to begin appreciating all levels of education whether its astro physics, media and communication or practical apprenticeships.

Besides protesting and yes rioting what else do the masses have? Has the nations's spirit been that broken that we are prepared to roll over and let the government shaft us while they protect their own wealth and privilege? Do politicians and officials listen to reason and argument? I'd say not. If the student protest had gone off without incident, it would have been dismissed already.

I also disagree with the attempt to compare that to our soldiers in Afghanistan. Those in government now sat around smoking thier pot while other young men were in Vietnam, Suez etc etc. And when these soldiers come home from war and decide they'd like to go to uni after risking their lives for the country, let's be emotive, should they be then burdened by massive student debt? What about those students who may wish to join the forces after they've been to uni, do they deserve being burdened by debt? The answer simply is 'No'.

I benefited from a free education. It was my right then and its others' right in the future.

We either stand up for ourselves and future generations or you roll over and be shafted by government. Take your choice.

To everything Sheilz has said here....

http://img602.imageshack.us/img602/6223/shnod.gif

GCA3N
12th November 2010, 12:31 PM

The right to protest is an important one and in today's pc culture lead by this country I might add it is important to stand upto things you strongly believe in.

However, to even suggest that yesterday was necessary and that the violence was important just seems ludicrous. We are very fortunate someone was not killed especially regarding the fire extinguisher incident. Had someone been killed by that would it still have been ok?

Btw I so agree for the reasons and 100% think that this government has alot to answer for but if out society starts to think this kind of behaviour is acceptable then I am sorry we have lost the war. It sounds dramatic but when law and order go society breaks down.

N16SHP
12th November 2010, 01:05 PM
Well this may be my young naive mind thinking, but to me, someone has to start making changes. If we carry on living the way we are, we are not going to be able to get the country back on its feet. Someone has to stand up and take responsibility for making these changes. I don't necessarily agree with the changes, but think we have to change.

As for the rioting, again, I don't think that the all of the rioters were students, and if you look at the footage, you can see the real students still peacefully marching on.

Sheilz
13th November 2010, 02:18 AM
The right to protest is an important one and in today's pc culture lead by this country I might add it is important to stand upto things you strongly believe in.

However, to even suggest that yesterday was necessary and that the violence was important just seems ludicrous. We are very fortunate someone was not killed especially regarding the fire extinguisher incident. Had someone been killed by that would it still have been ok?

Btw I so agree for the reasons and 100% think that this government has alot to answer for but if out society starts to think this kind of behaviour is acceptable then I am sorry we have lost the war. It sounds dramatic but when law and order go society breaks down.

The violence was only 'important' is so far as it has ensured that politicians and officials have taken notice otherwise it would just have been another protest brushed under the carpet. For as contradictory as it may seem I don't condone the violence but I can understand why it happened and imagine the combination of adrenalin, testesterone, anger etc leading to folk going to excess. I do agree with you though that when law and order go society breaks down. We see that with politicians thieving from the taxpayer with every loophole imaginable examined to save them legal action. The country is run by a bunch of crooks and in time there will be more than students taking to the streets.