PDA

View Full Version : Your cats dying, say your goodbye's... Oh no she's not!

AndyP & Lenore
10th November 2010, 01:21 AM
Our Birman cat Jinxie has been really unwell over the weekend. Started with vomiting on Thursday night, and she was very withdrawn, sleepy and lethargic on Friday. So, no better by Saturday morning so called the Vet. Straight in to be seen - excellent service as we've always had for 19 years from the same practice and luckily the same actual vet. Jinxie is very difficult to diagnose when she's unwell because she just doesn't respond to poking and prodding to see where there might be any pain. So, initial diagnosis is possible constipation, given an enema (rather her than me), and told to take home. Got home from work Sat night and she was even worse, I could hardly wake her up. Very worried so called vet again - straight in to be seen at 11pm at night - again great service. She'd poo'd by then so not constipation. So likely cause was a UTI/Kidney infection - she's prone to these so was most likely cause even though prodding her kidneys showed no adverse reaction. Given first dose of antibiotic and painkiller and sent home. Arranged to go back on Sunday at 4.30pm for her to be seen again and get second dose of antibiotic. No change on Sunday; still lethargic, withdrawn, almost drunk like. Blood sample taken on Sunday at 4.30pm. Took her home and told to wait for results of blood test on Monday.

Monday morning: Much better; eating, drinking, talkative, jumping up on worktop to get to food and drink bowls, walking around etc... almost back to normal. "Thank goodness for that" we think. It must have been a UTI after all.

Monday afternoon, get a call from a different vet at the same practice. This guy has actually been Jinxie's main vet for the past 3 years so knows her well. Blood test shows Jinxie is in "End stage chronic renal failure, with all measures of healthy kidneys off the scale in the wrong direction. Get her into the vet ASAP for IV fluids to see if we can flush out all the cr@p in her kidneys and give her another few weeks or month." I pointed out she had really picked up and was lively and eating and drinking. He couldn't believe this and said... "I'm very surprised at this, because with these blood results, she shouldn't even be alive. Perhaps the antibiotics has given her a short respite from an underlying UTI and that is why she has picked up."

Lenore and I NEVER push our pets beyond them having a reasonable quality of life, so we immediately considered if putting her to sleep would be the kindest thing to do. But as Jinxie is only 8, we felt we owed her the right to stay around as long as possible, providing that quality of life was preserved.

So, off to the vets with her, to be admitted over night for IV fluids to flush out her kidneys. We saw another vet this time and she was fairly surprised at how active Jinxie was considering her blood test results. However, she was admitted and plans were put in place for a kidney scan in the morning and another blood test later on Tuesday.

I called this morning to see how she was and to see if the kidney scan had been done. Spoke to the female vet that admitted her on Monday night. She questioned whether it was worth doing the scan as it wouldn't change the long term prognosis for Jinxie as the blood test was 100% conclusive that she was in end stage chronic renal failure. However she had had a good night and was eating and drinking. They were going to continue to keep her on the drip and repeat the blood test later today.

4pm ish I get a call from the vet who called yesterday with the bad news... "Got some really good news for you. Jinxie is fine, and I really mean FINE. There is now NO sign of any renal failure, all the levels in her blood were perfectly NORMAL and she does NOT have renal failure. Come and pick her up and take her home."

Got to the Vets and all three vets were there to meet me. It turns out a catalogue of errors appear to have happened. The original vet didn't put the blood samples in the refrigerator overnight. Whoever tested those samples didn't pick up on the fact they were not in the fridge. When the vet saw the results and called me to give me them he didn't take into account that I was telling him Jinxie was active and appeared fine - NOT POSSIBLE with the potassium, creatonin, urea etc that was apparently present in her blood. So he didn't think to have Jinxie looked at and a repeat blood test carried out immediately. When I took Jinxie into the vet to be admitted for IV fluids, the admitting vet didn't make the correlation between an apparently healthy cat sat on the consulting table in front of her and a set of results that show she should be on death's door.

It was only when the vet who called me with the original results on Monday saw Jinxie in the morning after she was admitted, did alarm bells go off. A repeat blood test showed perfectly normal blood levels.

They have apparently checked their internal procedures and there's no way blood samples got mixed up. So the only explanation is that the blood being left out the fridge overnight had effectively begun decomposing or whatever the hell happens to blood when it's not chilled waiting on testing.

All three vets have offered their apology for the situation, and there's no charge for the admission etc. I would still expect to pay for the weekend call-outs because at the end of the day Jinxie was unwell and needed and received medical attention which ultimately made her better.

But to say we are apoplecticaly mad that she had to be in the Vet hooked up to an IV, quite unnecessarily, would be an understatement. We are also immensely releived that we didn't have her put to sleep.

She's now at home, and while I was typing this out she was chasing her brother around the house, knocking seven bells out of him, playing away quite merrily.

We're now in the very difficult position where we don't know what to do with regards continued care. On the one hand we feel very let down by this catalogue of errors which should never have happened. We're not sure if we could trust anything they say to us again. And we're very disappointed in our main vet who's looked after us/all our pets for 19 years.

At the same time, after 19 years of impeccable care, do we ditch them after one (albeit possibly catastrophic) mistake - no pun intended there.

The trouble is, as most of you know, Lenore and I have no kids, so our pets ARE our kids. Perhaps we get too attached to them, but who cam blame us, they're cute wee balls of fluff.

Rant over.

A.

AndyP & Lenore
10th November 2010, 01:25 AM
A sleepy wee Jinxie taken a couple of months ago.

http://www.motorsportphotographic.com/fun_stuff/jinx4.jpg

A.:D

Gismo
10th November 2010, 07:50 AM
It's a difficult one, but, at least they didn't try to fob you off and they all apologised and waived the fee's without question.

Craig
10th November 2010, 09:06 AM
Fooking hell !!!!!!

Glad jinxie is better but like you say, can you now trust the vet?? Difficult one ...

GCA3N
10th November 2010, 10:04 AM
That is some story Andy/lenore. I can't believe all those things happened, and like you say very lucky you never put down a healthy cat.

As far as continuing care there are 2 school of thoughts. I guess the first is to wipe your hands of them and consider yourself lucky their incompetence has not resulted in the death of your cat. The second being that they have made a mistake and openly admitted it, they have rectified the situation have levied the charges.

Myself with that history behind the practice I would suggest it was an isolated error and these things can happen no matter how good they are. The one thing that I would now say is they might be even more concious of you guys coming back and be doubly paranoid next time of giving you great service.

Anyway glad "your baby" is back to full fitness.

The Dogfather
10th November 2010, 10:13 AM
Like you our pets are like our children. My view is that you should give them another chance.

They haven't previously let you down in 19 years, they came clean when they could have covered it up in some way. I expect they'll be watchful that mistakes like that aren't made again.

stoney
10th November 2010, 10:31 AM
Like you our pets are like our children. My view is that you should give them another chance.

They haven't previously let you down in 19 years, they came clean when they could have covered it up in some way. I expect they'll be watchful that mistakes like that aren't made again.

im with paul on this one

glad the cats ok tho :thumbs up:

GCA3N
10th November 2010, 10:58 AM
im with paul on this one

glad the cats ok tho :thumbs up:

Myself with that history behind the practice I would suggest it was an isolated error and these things can happen no matter how good they are. The one thing that I would now say is they might be even more concious of you guys coming back and be doubly paranoid next time of giving you great service.

....and greig.:rolleyes::smilewinkgrin:

stoney
10th November 2010, 11:02 AM
A sleepy wee Jinxie taken a couple of months ago.

http://www.motorsportphotographic.com/fun_stuff/jinx4.jpg

my moms and dads cat loves to lie in front of the com screan as well he is all ways there :yes nod: :lol: but its norm when you are trying to do work on the computer he just sits right in the middle of the screan so u can not see the dam thing for a cat :lol:

GCA3N
10th November 2010, 11:06 AM
That is some story Andy/lenore. I can't believe all those things happened, and like you say very lucky you never put down a healthy cat.

As far as continuing care there are 2 school of thoughts. I guess the first is to wipe your hands of them and consider yourself lucky their incompetence has not resulted in the death of your cat. The second being that they have made a mistake and openly admitted it, they have rectified the situation have levied the charges.

my moms and dads cat loves to lie in front of the com screan as well he is all ways there :yes nod: :lol: but its norm when you are trying to do work on the computer he just sits right in the middle of the screan so u can not see the dam thing for a cat :lol:

You'd think the mouse would have distracted her.:Whistle:

Gismo
10th November 2010, 11:41 AM
feck that, look how tidy his desk is :lol:

stoney
10th November 2010, 11:47 AM
:clap: :clap: :lol: tell me about it well se he do's no work just watches films all day some job that :lol: (runs and hides before andy reads this :lol:)

Stewart
10th November 2010, 05:58 PM
You'd think the mouse would have distracted her.:Whistle:

Just as well I was reading the posts and thinking someone has to make the mouse joke, its only good form...................

Oh and glad the cats fine.:thumbs up:

GCA3N
10th November 2010, 06:46 PM
Just as well I was reading the posts and thinking someone has to make the mouse joke, its only good form...................

Oh and glad the cats fine.:thumbs up:

Great minds think alike then.

AndyP & Lenore
10th November 2010, 10:58 PM
feck that, look how tidy his desk is :lol:

Wimen. Nuff said.

:clap: :clap: :lol: tell me about it well se he do's no work just watches films all day some job that :lol: (runs and hides before andy reads this :lol:)

Not much paper work done from home.

A. :D

audrey
10th November 2010, 11:45 PM
Glad wee Jinxie is ok now :yes nod: I would give the vet another chance as others have said they have looked after your pets for years.I know from experience how hard it is to find a decent vet.

Burple
11th November 2010, 09:44 AM
Glad the Kitteh's ok guys.. I know the feeling!! our little monster decided to be similarly unwell when I was off down south picking up the JCW.. That was the quickest drive home cross country from Stirling I think I've ever had! Pretty sure the Vets we used was just guessing what was up.. we never really got a definitive answer, but the tin of Tuna sure helped perk him up! ;):thumbs up::cool:

Scottie
11th November 2010, 10:26 AM
Glad to hear your cat is fine. I wouldn't use the vet again you pay enough and put your trust in them they should not get it wrong no matter what. I wouldn't be paying them any money either. It's disgraceful actually.

N16SHP
11th November 2010, 10:26 AM
I think the fact that they held their hands up and said look, we've made a huge mistake kinda shows that they really do care about the animals they treat and their customers and not so much their reputation. I've not had a bad experience with a vet thankfully, but I'd say stick with them!

dellie
11th November 2010, 11:54 AM
My cat (molly) is my baby, totally spoiled and has the run of the house!

About a year ago i took her to the vet to get her jabs and whilst i was there get her nails cut. Molly doesn't like going to the vet and seems to think if she stands still she is invisable, which is fantastic as the vet can do anything to her and she doesn't move! After a couple of days she had gone off her food, hardly moved and her paw was really swollen. We got an emergency appointment at the vet and it turns out she had an infection in her paw caused by her skin being nicked whilst the nails being cut, the vet wasnt very happy with me when i said that it was there nurse that cut her nails. Eventually after looking back at her history that apologised and i had to pay the full amount as they couldnt prove that they were totally at fault. I wasn't very happy, i've been using the vet for almost 3 years but my parents have two cats which are 3 and 5 years and before the cats came along they had two dogs for god knows how many years and have used the same vet practice.

We moved to a different practice nearer to my house as we heard similar stories from other people that we know use the practice.

AndyP & Lenore
11th November 2010, 12:35 PM
Dellie, it's a real shame that Molly had to suffer a swollen paw. I guess with clipping claws theirs always a chance a bug in the claw could get into a wound if the claw is clipped too close. So I can understand how it happened. But it's a shame the Vet couldn't accept that in all probability that's exactly how the bug was introduced.:frown:

A.

dellie
11th November 2010, 02:14 PM
It's not like she was struggling either, will have to find a good picture of her to show you!

N16SHP
11th November 2010, 02:21 PM
We have two house rabbits, and one of them has a problem in that her digestion and maybe three or so times a month, she will have the runs and it stick to her fur around her bum. So we took her to the vet, and they gave us a fibre supliment which really helps, and at the same time suggested just shaving around her bum to stop it clogging up, as she should clean it herself but when its bad its bad. They took her away for about 5 mins for a wee hair cut, and when they came back said we had a wee accident, and just nipped the skin with the clippers slightly, but we were re-assured that if it got infected or anything, bring her straight back and they'd put it right, no charge.

And last time we were in for them to get their jabs, its usually a quick check, jab and leave, but they had a new intern in, and so they spent a good 15 - 20 mins on each bunny giving them a full check up at no extra cost, really good stuff!!

Thought i'd throw in a wee picture or two!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1958/16/32/1617493369/n1617493369_87298_1263.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v3884/8/89/561420454/n561420454_6800126_3094618.jpg

AndyP & Lenore
11th November 2010, 03:09 PM
Another couple of Jinxie...

http://www.motorsportphotographic.com/fun_stuff/jinx.jpg

http://www.motorsportphotographic.com/fun_stuff/jinx5.jpg

And Jinxie's wee brother Sulley.

http://www.motorsportphotographic.com/fun_stuff/sulley01.jpg

Now this is one chilled cat...
http://www.motorsportphotographic.com/fun_stuff/sulley02.jpg

A.

AndyP & Lenore
10th December 2010, 11:40 PM
Well the final straw came in the post this morning.

Although they took the vet admission costs and IV fluids costs off the bill, they still sent me a bill for all the other work done, including the f*ck*d up blood sample.

So, we've registered with another local vet and Tili is going there for his second vaccination jag on Friday morning.

Explained to the new vet everything that happened and while we agree everyone can make mistakes, the polite thing to do would be to rip up any bill and pass on sincere apologies. He cant understand why they haven't done that but he's happy to take their business.

A.

Scottie
10th December 2010, 11:44 PM
good move IMO.

audrey
10th December 2010, 11:46 PM
That's a shocker I wouldn't pay them a penny :frown:

GCA3N
10th December 2010, 11:47 PM
Cheeky bandits. Some folks.

Burple
13th December 2010, 10:58 AM
Sulley is Booooootiful!! (And Jinxie too... of course..) Is that his 'butter wouldn't melt' look? ;):laugh:

AndyP & Lenore
13th December 2010, 11:33 PM
Sulley is Booooootiful!! (And Jinxie too... of course..) Is that his 'butter wouldn't melt' look? ;):laugh:

Sulley is a gorgeous cat. He has a lovely nature, plays with Jinxie when she want's to, is very patient with Tili and is a really cuddly, lap-cat. I suspect butter wouldn't melt in that mouth, unless it was a coating on tuna in which case the last thing you'd say would be.. "I say, has Sulley's tuna got a butter coa....." GONE!:laugh:

Jinxie is lovely too, and we love her to bits, but she has loads of emotional problems. Like just now for example, where she has decided quite unanimously, because we've brought a rat shaped terrorist (Tili) into the house she is refusing to sh!t. So, she's impacted and is probably going to need a vet trip to, erm... "loosen her up".:frown:

A.

GCA3N
13th December 2010, 11:42 PM
I just checked these pics on the lap top (previously looked on the phone) and those pics are stunning, you cats look beautiful. I have to say I am more of a dog that cat person but nowt better that sitting on the couch with the cat on your lap.

AndyP & Lenore
14th December 2010, 12:12 AM
Cheers Greig:thumbs up:. I love the close up of Jinxie's face. Its just a shame she has the dirt in the corner of her eyes. It was a kitten thing. I guess some photochop cloning would get rid of it but never had the time and remembered at the same time.