PDA

View Full Version : Cooper S is goosed Big Update

Marco77
8th November 2010, 01:49 PM
Hey Folks just looking for advice, My car had a rattling noise at the topside of the engine me thinking it was just the hydralic tappets and a oil change would quieten them down so it was booked into a local garage for MOT and service.

I recieved a call later that day to be informed they couldn't complete the mot due to the rattling noise being the water pump and that they dont want to rev the car for emissions test therefore it didnt pass the MOT.

I purchased a water pump today and the car went back into the garage (now overheating when driven) and have just recieved a call telling me the Supercharger is needing replaced as well but the twist is they called BMW with the chassis number for parts prices to be told its an Import which we had no knowledge and that the water pump is wrong it seems to be a JCW waterpump and a JCW charger.

I find tis all strange as my car did not have the power of a jcw so why wouldit have a jcw charger in it.

the bill now looks to be in the £2000 for the service mot and supply and fit water pump and charger.

Just looking for advice the car is 2005 model so dont know if there was any changes for the facelift model.

sorry for the grammer as im all worked up due to me spending my moneyonmy kids christmas then to be shocked by the cost of this repair

GCA3N
8th November 2010, 02:05 PM
That is totally crap mate I feel awful for you, especially as it's so close to Christmas too. The story is also bizarre I don't presume you bought it from a mini dealership?

Marco77
8th November 2010, 02:16 PM
I have just confirmed with Douglas Park that the Mini is NOT an Import and that it should have non JCW parts fitted. The garage repairing it were told by Harry (Arnold Sharks) Fairbairn that it was an import , so i have told the garag to rebuild and return the car.

I think ill be doing this myself just need to find a haynes manual

Mon the fish
8th November 2010, 02:58 PM
No such thing as a JCW water pump for the R53.

Up until the facelift (mid 2004), JCW's had the teflon-coated charger. After the facelift, all R53's came with that charger - part of the reason they went from 163bhp to 170bhp. Sounds like a lot of b*llocks being spoken by the dealers, not unusual when it comes to one of the dealers above in my experience...

Craig
8th November 2010, 03:10 PM
Marco, I have a haynes manual you can borrow if you want ;)

Marco77
8th November 2010, 04:15 PM
Craig that would be great where abouts are you?

Craig
8th November 2010, 05:19 PM
I live in Denny, but work in Stirling, so you could collect from my work, or I could meet you in Cumbernauld say one evening?

Mon the fish
8th November 2010, 10:57 PM
Get hold of the Bentley manual, normally on eBay for £80. Not cheap, but a lot better than the Haynes

minibob
13th November 2010, 08:38 PM
Get hold of the Bentley manual, normally on eBay for £80. Not cheap, but a lot better than the Haynes

I second that but i got mine from Amazon for £55 but that was about 5 months ago :-)

stoney
13th November 2010, 10:08 PM
There is superchargers for sale on piston heads £250 brand new !!! May be worth a look ;)

Doug_m
13th November 2010, 11:42 PM
There is superchargers for sale on piston heads £250 brand new !!! May be worth a look ;)

Aye if u can get hold of the guy....

Marco77
21st November 2010, 12:59 AM
advert now expired on pistonheads. Got most bits now just athe supercharger a 17% pulley cause a good friend of mine has offered me a forge motorsport intercooler for wait for it £100 brand new as its been sat on his display cabinet at work for a year or so. How could i resist. :)

Marco77
3rd January 2011, 11:22 AM
Right folks big update for ya. I had the car dropped of at my house and started the stripping process.
When I eventually removed the charger and waterpump assembly it became clear there was a problem with the charger and not the waterpump. Turns out the waterpump drive gears were ground to dust due to the so called sealed charger losing it's oil. By the way the oil is not checked as part of your service as the waterpump needs to be removed in order to remove the Allen screw. So I sourced a 4th gen with 4000 mls on it.

While I waited on this arriving I decided if I'm fitting another charger I may as well fit a smaller pulley as it would be a lot easier with the charger off. So ordered a 15% kav pulley and belt , also an Alta tensioner stop strap. Due to the pulley being smaller I was told I'd require a bigger intercooler so a friend of mine who owns a parts store just happen to have a Forge motorsport intercooler in his display that he let me have for peanuts.

Once everything arrived and was all fitted we decided to start her up. This is when we had a new problem. There was a loud whistle Coming from the engine like an airleak and within 2 mins of the car running the cat was glowing bright red.

This leak was causing over fueling it was sourced to the intake duct not seating against the charger properly and a bolt missing from the throttle body. This was all fixed now my car is only running 3 cylinders I removed the sparkplugs and they were soaked in fuel.

I have since removed dried cleaned them but it's still running 3 cylinders. The strange thing is when I removed the leads to check which one wasn't sparking it was no 2 so out came the plug cleaned replaced. Still had the same symptoms but it wasn't no 2 that was the problem now it was no3.

The problem just seems to be jumping from cylinder to cylinder. So I've spent
Too long on it and I'm biting the bullet and taking it to a independent who can stick a computer on it.

The story continues.........

Gismo
3rd January 2011, 11:36 AM
Strange how the cylinder is changing, can only suggest that you remove and inspect the spark plug leads and ensure a tight fit on the plug, possibly try another coil pack, gets expensive when you buy parts like this, so, maybe the best option is to get someone with a scanner to check for fault codes

Marco77
3rd January 2011, 02:48 PM
That's what I think is the best option don't want to shell out for new leads or coil Pack in case it's nothing to do with it.

GCA3N
3rd January 2011, 03:56 PM
Wow what a nightmare. I hope things work out and you get her going asap. Just had a thought there, I had a similar issue with my 2002 cooper, it kept going into "get home mode" due to it running on three cylinders. I took it to a dealers who said it was one of the injectors that was faulty, they changed only to find the same issue. Turned out it was the ECU that was faulty.

Marco77
3rd January 2011, 04:19 PM
Mmmmm I hope not. Hopefully when it gets hooked up all will be revealed. Thing is all 4 cylinders were firing when I had the air leak the only thing that's changed since then is new intake duct and a bolt in the throttle body housing, granted the throttle was unplugged and I did see a note in the bentley manual that this had to be reset. Maybe this is the cause I don't know.