PDA

View Full Version : Overspray...

gauldrymini
8th November 2010, 12:17 PM
Have noticed what we think is clearcoat overspray on the window and door of the MINI...where it happen? probably the body shop but who knows???:frown:

Would clay bar-ring the car take the pesky contaminants off::idunno:

What type / make of clay bar would folk recommend...bearing in mind I have not used the clay bar before..

GCA3N
8th November 2010, 01:06 PM
Whether or not it would work I am unsure but I bought the meguires Kit. It comes with 2 bars the spray and a cloth and it was really easy. There is a thread about it with the results I got.

ianking
8th November 2010, 02:02 PM
Just get a bottle of paint thinners. Pour some on a cloth, run that over the window then use some glass cleaner.

GCA3N
8th November 2010, 02:08 PM
Just get a bottle of paint thinners. Pour some on a cloth, run that over the window then use some glass cleaner.

Ian I have autosmart glue and tar remover do you reckon that would work. The reason I ask is it is designed for use on the car for removing road tar contaminants etc. and is easy to buy on the web.

gauldrymini
8th November 2010, 03:40 PM

Ian,

I have some White Spirit would this work? I take it not to use this on the body work though???

Cheers
Andrew

GCA3N
8th November 2010, 03:54 PM
Ian,

I have some White Spirit would this work? I take it not to use this on the body work though???

Cheers
Andrew

I would suggest your right not on the paintwork. White spirits are a paint thinner btw.

ianking
8th November 2010, 05:45 PM
I use thinners on the bodywork to remove overspray as I regularly do work on cars that have just come from the bodyshop. Its fine to use on the paint as long as you wash it off afterwards then re-aply some wax.
Im not sure how white spirit differs from thinners?

Tar and glue remover generally doesnt shift overspray. Paint and bitumen are 2 totally different things.

MiniSnaps
8th November 2010, 11:43 PM
Celly thinners would do the trick, but if the car has had paint recently I'd be wary of using it on the paintwork, t-cut would be safer....

Big Gordy
9th November 2010, 09:55 AM
I just use a sharp stanley blade at a 45 degree angle :thumbs up:

stoney
9th November 2010, 10:06 AM

this is what i would do or i would just take it to ian and let him do it :lol:

gauldrymini
9th November 2010, 10:38 AM

Had thought of this for the window...but not the door panel:sheep:

Seems you can scrape some of it off the paint with a fingernail...so would T - Cut work?

Big Gordy
9th November 2010, 11:07 AM
Ooooops :blush:
I find T-Cut is a bit brutal :frown: You would need to be VERY carefull :hand: Maguires scratch X is good for light swirls so I guess it would be good for overspray :thumbs up: Comes in a big tube :smilewinkgrin:

ianking
9th November 2010, 12:32 PM
Honestly folks I do this sort of thing all the time and thinners will be fine. Thats what they use in the bodyshops as well. Just rinse it down after wards and then put some wax on. Its the quickest way to do it and wont scratch any surfaces.

gauldrymini
9th November 2010, 01:08 PM
Honestly folks I do this sort of thing all the time and thinners will be fine. Thats what they use in the bodyshops as well. Just rinse it down after wards and then put some wax on. Its the quickest way to do it and wont scratch any surfaces.

Ian,

Thinners and paintwork ...scares me:frown: will it not strip the paint???

Is there a brand of thinners you would recommend?
Would the clay bar approach not work as well?

Cheers for the advice...(you are the man in the know:smilewinkgrin:)

ianking
9th November 2010, 01:30 PM
It wont strip the paint, or it certainly has never done it for me.
When I worked at the garage we used to send cars to the painters all the time and because they were just trade jobs they never cleaned them as I was valeting them anyway. There was always a wee bit overspray to clean off.

I do a bit of valeting/detailing these days for a chap that has a paintshop close to me and I still use the thinners on his cars. He also does the same.
The thinners we use is an automotive thinners. Its about £6 for 5 litres.
You could buy a small bottle in halfords.

You would need an agresive clay to remove it and that would marr your paint resulting in a machine polish being necessary.

AndyP & Lenore
9th November 2010, 02:00 PM
I recently used White Spirit to remove stubborn adhesive left behind when I changed a stuck-on number plate. Applied the spirit to a cloth, removed the glue, then washed the area thoroughly. No adverse effects.:thumbs up:

A.:D

MiniSnaps
9th November 2010, 02:08 PM

On the paintwork?:smilewinkgrin:

Big Gordy
9th November 2010, 07:23 PM
On the paintwork?:smilewinkgrin:

Yes, yes, I know :rolleyes: Works great on glass tho :p

craigib76
11th November 2010, 10:34 AM
think it would ply safe and just use clay bar on it all you cant really go wrong with it and it wont damage anything unlike t-cut or thinners

Jack678
11th November 2010, 11:39 AM
you will be fine with thinners like ian says. :thumbs up: just dont rub too much and make sure you wash it off straight away and you'll be fine. i've done it plenty times and never had a problem.:yes nod:

Gismo
11th November 2010, 12:23 PM
Ach, just buy anopther car :Whistle: