PDA

View Full Version : 17" vs 16" - On a budget

The Dogfather
14th July 2004, 05:20 PM
My mini currently has the standard crappy 15" alloys and sports suspension plus fitted, but I'd like to upgrade to wider tyres.

I've been reading the posts on the Mini2 site and I've read that the 16" wheels offer better handling than 17" is this right?

I need some suggestions on what to fit... remember need to keep the costs down...

Julz
14th July 2004, 06:27 PM
I went from 17"'s to 18"'s and I'd say the handling improved, but that could be because the run flat tyres I had were crap!!:eek: It depends on whether you think you might regret not getting 17's, as they say, less is more, oh, no, umm, the bigger the better!!:p:evil::clown:
Sorry, I realise I've been no help whatsoever, but hey, what's new??:p:approve:

Starky
14th July 2004, 08:33 PM
Paul, i'll be selling my 16'' X-Lites with runflats at the beginning of Sept., see my post on page 2 in for sale forum if your interested.

The Dogfather
14th July 2004, 08:44 PM
John, I've been offered some 17" Exite R08s with tyres for £495 so I'll probably go for them......

Big Col
14th July 2004, 09:29 PM
HEEEEEEEEEEEY! "Crappy15's"????????

I like my 15s dammit! Despite Big Gordy's now tedious and predictable "Egg Poacher" comments.

For the record, do you really want to listen to handling advice from Julz? She is a girly after all! <runs for the hills> :D;):clown::p

Julz
14th July 2004, 09:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

For the record, do you really want to listen to handling advice from Julz? She is a girly after all! <runs for the hills> :D;):clown::p

<THWACK>

The Dogfather
14th July 2004, 09:55 PM
Oops, sorry Col :p just a personal preference!

Duncan Stewart
15th July 2004, 04:49 PM
I tried 16" by 7" TSW apex alloys with 205/50 by 16 non run flat Yoko tyres. The grip was very impressive both cornering and under braking (I thought my ABS was broken!) however I drive 40 miles of twisty, bumpy, potholed country roads to work & back each day :D :p and found the ride too hard :( and it tramlined on the poor road surfaces :dead:. The mini also seemed more nimble on the 15s and I think the 15" alloys look great so I went back to my original alloys.
The 16s were fine on smoother main roads like the A9 and seemed less bouncy that the 15s.
Anything bigger than 16" is really for people who like the look bigger wheels rather than to improve handling.
Hope this helps a bit