PDA

View Full Version : Clutch??? Any ideas?

Flash_Amber
5th November 2010, 09:07 AM
Drove the car at teatime last night and all was fine but when i went to drive it later on in evening the bite point on the clutch was very high and clutch slipping badly. The car goes into gear no problem. There has been no previous slipping of the clutch. Its a 52 plate Mini one.

Any ideas guys?

ianking
5th November 2010, 09:11 AM
Clutch prob on its way out.

When it went on my R50 Cooper thats what happened

GCA3N
5th November 2010, 09:11 AM
It sounds like you hit the nail on the head, I have limited knowledge having only ever had one clutch failed and replaced but it does sound as your clutch has gone.

Craig
5th November 2010, 09:12 AM
Slipping clutch is not good and normally means a worn plate... Unusual for it to go so instantly from your info as they normally gradually get worse... No oil leaking into the clutch housing as this used to happen on some older cars I had ??

GCA3N
5th November 2010, 09:16 AM
Slipping clutch is not good and normally means a worn plate... Unusual for it to go so instantly from your info as they normally gradually get worse... No oil leaking into the clutch housing as this used to happen on some older cars I had ??

That's actually a point craig, like you say it is quite unusual but not impossible for the clutch to just fail. You normally get some indication ie clutch starting to slip in the higher gears first ( 4/5/6) then steadily getting worse.

Gismo
5th November 2010, 10:24 AM
Put the car in second, apply the handbrake, attempt to drive off, if the car stalls the clutch is ok, if not, then it's a new clutch at least, sorry.
Should mention, that if the clutch is dodgy then you should be able to "slip" the clutch and not actually move anywhere

ianking
5th November 2010, 10:34 AM
Mine did not slip at all until about 30 secs before it failed. Like Ambers car mine drove fine right up until that point.

Flash_Amber
5th November 2010, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, thats kinda what we thought was wrong but thought it was unusual for the clutch to just suddenly go. Looks like a new clutch then!

GCA3N
5th November 2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, thats kinda what we thought was wrong but thought it was unusual for the clutch to just suddenly go. Looks like a new clutch then!

Just in time for Christmas, brilliant.:rolleyes:

Flash_Amber
5th November 2010, 11:09 AM
Just in time for Christmas, brilliant.:rolleyes:

Exactly!!!

Gismo
5th November 2010, 11:17 AM
Don't you have any warranty from where you bought the car?

Flash_Amber
5th November 2010, 06:29 PM
Don't you have any warranty from where you bought the car?

No its not my dealer bought Cooper its hubby's Mini One, bought it privately so no warranty unfortunately. :argh: