PDA

View Full Version : Another tyre question.. ;)

Burple
3rd November 2010, 02:12 PM
Hey guys.. anybody had any experience of Continental Sport Contact 2 tyres? rate them? Hate them?

Same question for the Dunlop SP 01 runflats (yeah, I know... runflats..) that are fitted as standard to some 17" mini wheels..?

Going to be needing a couple of tyres very shortly, are any of the above two worth considering, or should I hold out and try to get my mitts on some Uniroyal Rainsport 2s?

:confused:

Craig
3rd November 2010, 02:21 PM
Hey guys.. anybody had any experience of Continental Sport Contact 2 tyres? rate them? Hate them?

Same question for the Dunlop SP 01 runflats (yeah, I know... runflats..) that are fitted as standard to some 17" mini wheels..?

Going to be needing a couple of tyres very shortly, are any of the above two worth considering, or should I hold out and try to get my mitts on some Uniroyal Rainsport 2s?

The last one shortie !! ;)

tyres Here (http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=59693499.110.15306&typ=R-153472&ranzahl=4&Breite=205&Quer=45&Felge=17&Speed=H&weiter=15&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=15&sort_by=preis_down&Transport=P&dsco=110&sowigan=So)

Craig
3rd November 2010, 02:25 PM
or if you go for 215/45/17, they are only £90 a corner... :thumbs up:

GCA3N
3rd November 2010, 02:35 PM
I don't know why folks don't like the Dunlop Sp sport runflats I think they are excellent both in the wet and dry. Yes the ride is a bit harder but I think the stiffer tyre walls are a bit more protection against pot holes.

Craig
3rd November 2010, 03:22 PM
I don't discriminate, I hate all run flats ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forbes
3rd November 2010, 03:36 PM
I don't know why folks don't like the Dunlop Sp sport runflats I think they are excellent both in the wet and dry. Yes the ride is a bit harder but I think the stiffer tyre walls are a bit more protection against pot holes.

Reread what you wrote there. Runflats are ok? I think Island life is getting to you....

http://i.imgur.com/cHD1T.gif

GCA3N
3rd November 2010, 03:56 PM
Rf's rock.:yes nod::yes nod::p

ur vid is :laugh:

Burple
3rd November 2010, 06:06 PM
Cool guys.. cheers! That's what I figured...

I spotted some of the Continentals on Ebay pretty cheap, but Ifancy giving the Uniroyals a go.

The fronts are going bye bye, got a pair of SP01s on the back that need to get worn down... so I'll bung a couple of Rainsport 2's on the back then to start with and chuck the dunlop RFs on the front till they're decimated too ;)

...traction control....'OFF' :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Big Gordy
3rd November 2010, 09:01 PM
I found the Contact 2's OK on bigger cars ie the Audi but terrible on smaller cars ie Ross' MG ZR :frown:

Burple
4th November 2010, 11:15 AM
I found the Contact 2's OK on bigger cars ie the Audi but terrible on smaller cars ie Ross' MG ZR :frown:

Cool, Cheers big man! :thumbs up: that's what I was thinking, just needed to hear it from someone else.. could have got a reasonable deal on a pair (about £90 each), thinkI'll end up going for the Uniroyals instead :thumbs up:

zimbo
4th November 2010, 11:29 AM
Tractor tyres here we come... :Whistle:

Burple
4th November 2010, 12:04 PM
The last one shortie !! ;)

tyres Here (http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=59693499.110.15306&typ=R-153472&ranzahl=4&Breite=205&Quer=45&Felge=17&Speed=H&weiter=15&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=15&sort_by=preis_down&Transport=P&dsco=110&sowigan=So)

Cheers! I was looking there, Black Circles and Camskills.. they're all around similar prices - Camskills are a wee bit cheaper..

One final question... what would be the difference between 205/45s and 215/40s with regards to the wheel rotation...? (apart from the obvious 10mm more tread on the road... ;)) Am I right in saying the 205/45 will have a slightly higher sidewall?

Arg.. think I'll just stick with the 205s to keep them all the same since I'll only be having 2 just now..

Craig
4th November 2010, 12:34 PM
yeah 45's will have a slightly bigger sidewall..... re rolling radius, best to use one of the online radius checkers (google them) and put in what you currently run and what your wanting to run and aslong as it's within 3% up or down your OK.! ;)

Bazthemod
4th November 2010, 12:53 PM
I find the dunlops awful in the wet ... when roundabouts are greasy it can catch you out even at low speeds.

I'm taking bad coming from Michelin Pilots sports... they were awesome but getting harder to source.

Smurf
6th November 2010, 11:44 AM
As I mentioned in my own thread - I have Dunlop Sport 3000 and like them, the Dunlop SP01 I had a while back were awful!! Sounds like you're going down the non-runflat route though ;-)

stoney
6th November 2010, 04:38 PM
Goodyear egle F1 loved them on my old s and thinking of geting or Avon's for summer for the GP :yes nod:

jdl_1967
6th November 2010, 08:47 PM
Conti Sport Contact 2 and the newer 3 have always done well in tyre tests.

Evo Magazine this year announced a Sport Contact the winner of their 2010 Tyre Test.

Always wanted to try them, but never got around to it and I don't think they make them in my current size of 195 50 15, but Rainsport 2s do and might try these this winter before my Parada Spec 2s put me in a hedge! Albeit I've been pleasantly surprised how well they've coped so far with the huge amounts of rain and standing water we've had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheilz
6th November 2010, 09:49 PM
I didn't know you could mix 'n match RFs with non-RFs?

Contact 3s did me very good service and would have these as first choice in RFs. Rainsports are excellent.

Big Gordy
8th November 2010, 10:02 AM
Evo Magazine this year announced a Sport Contact the winner of their 2010 Tyre Test.

They were 235/35 R19's tested on a Megane 250 Cup:thumbs up: Results were....

1. Continental Contisport Contact 5P
2. Goodyear Eagle F1
3. Pirelli P Zero K1
4. Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
5. Toyo Proxes Sport T1
6. Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT
7. Bridgestone Potenza S001
8. hankook Ventous S1 Evo
9. Kumho Scsta Spt KU31

Burple
15th November 2010, 02:23 PM
Finally got the crappy Pirelli Eufori runflats off the front of the car.. 3 garages later, finally got one that would do the work...:rolleyes:

So.. got the nice shiny Rainsports on the back, and the part worn Dunlop SP01 runflats on the front.

Holy crap!! what a difference! I was really wary to push it in the twisties with the pirrelis on.. they were really twitchy before they gripped, and tram-lined really badly everywhere. Now the car actually drives as it should (until I get the rainsports on the front too ;)).
The Dunlpos aren't perfect, they seem to be a wee bit slippy on wet, greasy roads, but the car feels MUCH safer and planted now! :thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:
Can't wait to try real tyres on the front too :cool:

So.. if you have to buy Runflats... avoid Pirelli Euforis lke the plague!
Strange thing is.. I've driven an older (Pre R56 S) with those on all round, and it felt ok... maybe the steering geometry or the way the power steering works on the R56 just doesn't like those tyres... :confused:

Stewart
15th November 2010, 09:02 PM
Rainsports 2 you found a set? I'm finding it hard on my R16's. Guy is trying to source them for me from uniroyal.

Burple
16th November 2010, 11:03 AM
Rainsports 2 you found a set? I'm finding it hard on my R16's. Guy is trying to source them for me from uniroyal.

Yip.. Get yourself on MyTyres and have a look. I got them from there no bother :thumbs up:
Said they'd be delivered on the 16th.. actually got them on the 11th :thumbs up::cool:
Top service!

The Dogfather
16th November 2010, 02:27 PM
Cold weather will hit as early as November 24th! Winter tyres are on and ready

Gismo
16th November 2010, 02:29 PM
Cold weather will hit as early as November 24th! Winter tyres are on and readyAye, sometimes it dips under 70 degrees here :Whistle:

zimbo
17th November 2010, 12:47 AM
Aye, sometimes it dips under 70 degrees here :Whistle:

:moonie: