PDA

View Full Version : Tyre recommendations please!

Smurf
2nd November 2010, 09:40 AM
Hello! :bigwave: Long time since I've been on here...

Anyhoo, I'm going to need 2 new front tyres soon, and I would like recommendations for 195/55/16 RUNFLATS please...

I can't get my Dunlop Sport 3000 DSST (87H) any more, and having had the "replacement" (SP01) for this tyre from the dealer's once before, I don't like them, they're not as good, and a completely different tread pattern. (Ended up with a very loose feeling front end on the car, not nice). Managed to get 4 Sport 3000's from eTyres last time around, but no luck finding any so far this time.

So what do you guys like? I need a good all-round tyre as I don't do the "winter wheels" thing, so it needs to be of reasonable performance both in the dry, and wet (and snow!) and I will be keeping the Sport 3000's on the rear. Oh, and Smurfy's just a Cooper, if that makes any difference.

Thank you!!
Smurf

Stewart
2nd November 2010, 11:14 AM
I’m just going to bite the bullet and get off the Runflats!

Seriously tempted by the Kumho KH31 at £67 a corner for all four.

My goodyear excellence runflats have been fine, done 20K on the fronts but they are down to 2.5MM. but I’ve never felt them lose grip.

Craig
2nd November 2010, 11:48 AM
Sorry Vaila, can't give you recommendations on runflats as I hate them and take them off the car as soon as I get it. I understand why you may want them tho, as others have. Hoepfully some of the runflat crew will give you their advice.... ;)

ianking
2nd November 2010, 11:52 AM
I’m just going to bite the bullet and get off the Runflats!

Seriously tempted by the Kumho KH31 at £67 a corner for all four.

My goodyear excellence runflats have been fine, done 20K on the fronts but they are down to 2.5MM. but I’ve never felt them lose grip.

Have you not been swindering over new tyres now for about 6 months.
Just get them bought man, you wont look back.

Stewart
2nd November 2010, 05:23 PM
:blush:Yeah that me.......I was doing the Highland Tour on RF then getting new one's.

It did not help all the same that when I was going to get them a month or so ago the very tyre’s vanished off the face of the world. (Rainsport 2 205/50/16 V) :ragin:

Sheilz
2nd November 2010, 09:08 PM
I've gone through quite a few RFs in my time and found the conti sportcontact 3 to be the best. Had them on 17s but not sure if tyres do better in certain sizes than others. Like others though I eventually saw the light and abandoned RFs.

Sheilz
2nd November 2010, 09:10 PM
Forgot to say Dougall is fair nimble in his wee 15s. Wasn't sure what to expect, not the bonniest with the steelies but defo an improvement in handling. Maybe I should consider replacing the pace alloys with 16s ???

Smurf
3rd November 2010, 09:26 AM
Thanks guys! That gives me a couple of options to take a look at. Goodyear I did actually think of, but wasn't sure if Continental were false economy or not, so nice to see a vote for them. Still up for more suggestions if anyone has any. I have my reasons for wanting to stick to runflats, but understand why some people don't.

Oh, and I'm a great believer in 16" wheels! I think the cars handle better on them than 17", but then like tyres, it's just a matter of preference.