PDA

View Full Version : OMP Strut braces...

s-a-l-t-i-r-e
18th October 2010, 06:46 PM
Anyone know if the OMP strut braces are any good...

saw this deal, thought it would be a good xmas pressie for the sons Mini... :smilewinkgrin:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160476320336&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2184wt_1139

Cheers...

minibob
18th October 2010, 07:09 PM
Hi iv heard good and bad about them i was going to buy them myself but i just decided to make my own :D The only thing i would say is mine is low as hell so i decided to not make the lower one as it would hang down lower than any thing else on the car so i decided not to bother :hand:

bob

s-a-l-t-i-r-e
18th October 2010, 07:59 PM
His isn't too low I don't think so should be ok...

cheers...

stoney
18th October 2010, 10:17 PM
i have the omp lower on my GP and its fine and the GTT top and its a brill mod you will feal a diffrence but i do knw the omp top will rub n the bonnet a bit and think you have to remove the sound deadaing from under the bonnet so it dos nt lift the bonnet

N16SHP
18th October 2010, 10:20 PM
Right, heres a question for you. When you say you will feel a difference, what sort of a difference are you going to feel roughly?

Big Gordy
18th October 2010, 10:23 PM
Think that's what I have on our ONE and it does touch the bonnet, just a wee bit tho,even with the sound deadening removed :frown: You also have to modify (read dremel:p) the battery cover :rolleyes:

Big Gordy
18th October 2010, 10:25 PM
what sort of a difference are you going to feel roughly?
It makes the front track more accurately when you turn into corners....and you do notice it:yes nod: Everything feels just more planted :thumbs up:

stoney
18th October 2010, 10:30 PM
It makes the front track more accurately when you turn into corners....and you do notice it:yes nod: Everything feels just more planted :thumbs up:

what he said :yes nod:

N16SHP
18th October 2010, 10:32 PM
I'm not really the spirited driver type (well not when the Mrs is in the car, which put a dampener on those amazing roads that Craig navigated us along) but I imagine if I took it out for a proper hoon before and after, i'd probably notice the difference. Thanks for the info Gordy and Rob! Think i'd rather keep my cash for my JCW lol!

Mon the fish
19th October 2010, 07:19 AM
I've got an unused OMP upper for sale, check the for sale section. If you've got an R50/R53 over 30k miles, do the following:

- replace the rear bushes on the front wishbones (ideally with powerflex or the like)
- fit OMP lower, upper (I went JCM), and cabrio braces
- I also fitted the GTT mid brace

It makes some difference to do the above at one time. Car now turns in better than anything I've driven, and just keeps gripping. The OMP lower is probably the most effective on it's own, and the cabrio braces are under £20

Big Gordy
19th October 2010, 03:33 PM
Just looked at MTF's picture of the OMP strut brace and that's NOT what I have :frown: Now that I think about it I'm sure its a JCW strut brace off one of the racers cars I have :rolleyes: Its oval all the way between fixing points where as the OMP one has a flattened area just where the battery would be :thumbs up:

Mon the fish
19th October 2010, 04:02 PM
I've got the JCM one off a Challenge car, and I had to strip out some of the bonnet insulation

s-a-l-t-i-r-e
19th October 2010, 08:39 PM
Never heard of cabrio braces, where do they go...??

Big Gordy
19th October 2010, 10:38 PM
There used for holding up your lederhosen....:laugh:

ahh...well...yes....I've never heard of cabrio braces either:confused:

Big Gordy
19th October 2010, 10:41 PM
See here...... http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=RD32&mospid=48017&btnr=51_5493&hg=51&fg=80&hl=4

Big Gordy
19th October 2010, 10:44 PM
or here............. http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-cooper/mini_cooper_cross_support_rails_from_convertible_r 52.html

Mon the fish
20th October 2010, 07:00 AM
Yep, as per Big Gordy's last post above, they connect the strut section of the chassis to the front section. They do make a difference, and for £20 you can't go wrong. 10 mins to fit as well. R53's built after late 2003 have the holes pre-drilled in the chassis, for earlier cars you have to drill them yourself.

If the cabrio flexes at the front of the chassis enough to need braces, the hard top will as well. These and the OMP lower are all you really need IMO. A top brace won't make a massive difference once they are fitted.

stoney
20th October 2010, 09:28 AM
Yep, as per Big Gordy's last post above, they connect the strut section of the chassis to the front section. They do make a difference, and for £20 you can't go wrong. 10 mins to fit as well. R53's built after late 2003 have the holes pre-drilled in the chassis, for earlier cars you have to drill them yourself.

If the cabrio flexes at the front of the chassis enough to need braces, the hard top will as well. These and the OMP lower are all you really need IMO. A top brace won't make a massive difference once they are fitted.

thats where you are wrong i felt a big diffrence when i took my brace off my last s to trade it in felt like a sponge when going round the corner so i would say a top brace dose make a difrence !!!!!

Mon the fish
20th October 2010, 12:44 PM
It does make a difference, that's why I have one, but not as much as the lower one IMO. Fitting the upper (by far more expensive brace) after fitting the lower, will not increase the stiffness by much.

stoney
20th October 2010, 03:42 PM
prob true but i did top first in my old s and then top and bottom at the same time in the GP

s-a-l-t-i-r-e
20th October 2010, 09:47 PM
Cheers all... Have ordered them up for his xmas, better not be snowing on Xmas day, he'll have me out fitting them...:smilewinkgrin: