PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

Sheilz
14th October 2010, 12:14 PM
This whole malarky about servicing different bits at different times got me thinking that BMW have really programmed the mini to make them mega bucks once TLC packages are completed.

JC quoted me £181.40 to have the front brake pads replaced :sheep:

Sheilz
14th October 2010, 12:20 PM
O Dear half my post vanished. Not sure what happened there ?
I put up the thread to ask if anyone knows whether it is necessary or only advisable to put on new front brake sensors when new brake pads go on. According to JC it is advisable however I didn't do that with Specy and wonder what's different with the clubbie for this to be recommended. Also can the service light be reset by anyone other than a bmw tech. I can pop into JC to have this done however if its possible to save another wait around the showroom all the better. Dougall is having new front brake pads put on this Sat.

RobSco
14th October 2010, 02:12 PM
This whole malarky about servicing different bits at different times got me thinking that BMW have really programmed the mini to make them mega bucks once TLC packages are completed...

JC quoted me £181.40 to have the front brake pads replaced :sheep:

Hi Sheilz

Quote from JC is quite high I would have thought just to have front brake pads replaced, get them to double check as I've been misquoted at my Mini Garage before and quote was reduced when I enquired...

Don't know what year of car you have as you can get the Front Brake Pads and Disc Replacement done from £189* - link supplied...

www.johnclarkaberdeenmini.co.uk/our_services/value_service/

Well worth enquiring about this again as all Mini Garages offer this Value Service they might not realise offer is running... Hope this Helps... :thumbs up:

RobSco
14th October 2010, 02:21 PM
Hi Sheilz

Just noticed that you can get Front Brake Pads Replacement from £95* on the link that I supplied you, so why have you been quoted almost twice this amount... :confused:

stoney
14th October 2010, 05:15 PM
if the light is on the dash you need new ones if its not then you dont they are only about £10/£15 each or you can just run with out it not shure how you turn it off but it can be done also thats a lot for just pads i would want disks as well for that price

Sheilz
14th October 2010, 05:29 PM
After service on Monday it remained red but didn't notice till I was home. Today car was in for third brake light to be replaced due to condensation problem. they reset the light for MOT (car was built in Sept 08 but not registered till March 09) but couldn't do the brake one of course as the brakes haven't been changed yet. Fob indicated about 1200 of wear left but as new wheels being fitted on Sat made sense to just do it all at once. I also thought the quote from JC was extremely high. notice though that the value service is for R50 not later models though I cant' for the love of me imagine why on earth it should cost any more to do Dougall. Have kept the quote for posterity.

Sheilz
14th October 2010, 06:58 PM
Does anyone know if its absolutely necessary to change the sensors as well as brake pads? Surely someone on here has had to replace pads on their R55/56s before now?

GCA3N
14th October 2010, 07:01 PM
Does anyone know if its absolutely necessary to change the sensors as well as brake pads? Surely someone on here has had to replace pads on their R55/56s before now?

surely it would bring up a warning if there were no sensors.

rawtor51
14th October 2010, 07:37 PM
if like my car there are no sensors, you wont get a warning,

Your car will have sensors and if the light is on they will need replaced, from what i gather when the pad is so worn down the disc will rub the face of the sensor down causing the warning light to come on, thats how it works.

Buy some pads and sensors and try it yourself , ive just done mine, if your unsure find a DIY thread on the internet and give it a bash:thumbs up:

Sheilz
15th October 2010, 12:14 AM
if like my car there are no sensors, you wont get a warning,

Your car will have sensors and if the light is on they will need replaced, from what i gather when the pad is so worn down the disc will rub the face of the sensor down causing the warning light to come on, thats how it works.

Buy some pads and sensors and try it yourself , ive just done mine, if your unsure find a DIY thread on the internet and give it a bash:thumbs up:

Thank you, that's what I needed to know. Will pass on the DIY bit though!

thechief
15th October 2010, 03:24 PM
That value servicing is cheap! I phoned to price the parts and they were only about £15 less than that fitted price.

lowrider
15th October 2010, 03:46 PM
Dealers/stealers are really expensive. I have used the same mechanic for years. I have just replaced my front pads (ebc),serviced my car with BMW parts and had an air lock sorted in my coolant system and he only charged me £50 labour. I think it is better to find a mechanic you can trust.

thechief
15th October 2010, 04:39 PM
To be fair I priced up discs/pads from the dealer and it came to around £160. To have them fitted for an extra £29 is a bargain and is worth it imo for the bmw receipt.

Well that's what I've just gone for anyway.

Sheilz
15th October 2010, 05:40 PM
I got feroda brake pads for £45 and the sensors for £10. Fitting will cost £20. That works out a heck of a lot cheaper than the cost quoted by JC.

Stewart
15th October 2010, 06:43 PM
That your local Mechanic then?

Thinking taking the Car to my Local Garage that used to look after my Honda as I know him well for the Cars first M.O.T.

Sheilz
15th October 2010, 07:21 PM
I've been thinking about this whole servicing malarky from JC. Once the tlc package is finished it would make for hellishly expensive servicing costs paying for x,y and z to be done at different times given their very high time charge.

minibob
16th October 2010, 04:00 PM
i no its a different model but i just fitted front disks and pads and rear disks and pads to my girlfriends R53 cooper s and they came to £150 but i did fit them myself so saved me a few £££ but that price sounds crazy you got for pads alone

bob

Crombers
27th April 2011, 03:21 PM
Just had to replace the (original) rear pads & discs. Only 66684 miles on the clock, feckin ludicrous this :rolleyes:. Raging :argh: :smilewinkgrin:

Gismo
27th April 2011, 03:27 PM
Try driving with the hand brake off :Whistle: