PDA

View Full Version : WeRipOffAnyCarSeller.com

Delboy
8th October 2010, 11:35 PM
Had my first experience of We Buy Any Car "dot com" this afternoon - I was riding shotgun to the person selling their car (value around the £4k mark so not an expensive car but in very good condition).

Online quote done about 2 weeks ago then "refreshed" yesterday - value dropped about £500. That's a bummer but maybe the used prices fell by that much during that time so you need to run with that to begin with.

However, valuation done today at "We Buy" office - £500 less than yesterday's online quote :argh:. They could give no explanation of this and tried to fob us off with a load of BS - which I think they regretted once I got going.....:Whistle:. We walked out :yes nod:.

It totally smacked of them pricing cars on their website just to get you in and then they try to rip you off with a low offer hoping that you'll just take it since you are there already and presumably need to sell your car. Not impressed at all and would not even contemplate going anywhere near them again unless I was desperate. About as professional as the toilet plumbing in the Athletes' Village at the Commonwealth Games in India.....:rolleyes:.

End of the story - went to a local Arnold Clark who bought the car there and then at a price exactly £500 more than "We Buy" offered, i.e. a fair trade price. Result :clap:.

Hope this story might help manage your expectations if you ever choose to get your car valued by this bunch.

AndyP & Lenore
9th October 2010, 12:19 AM
Cheers for the input Del. Always considered them in the past but always been weary and heard that this is what they do a lot of.:frown:

A.

N16SHP
9th October 2010, 02:42 AM
I know of someone who used to work for them, and the way it works is: They give you an online quote, then when you take it to be inspected, however much the person can take off of the car ie if they go "ah, there's a slight dent in the panel, that will be £100 off the price" they then get 10% of that so they get a tenner, and so on and so on. So you can see how the values drop so drastically! Needless to say, the person I know didn't stay long as they couldn't bring it upon themselves to rip people off!

GCA3N
9th October 2010, 06:16 AM
Not so good.:frown:

Flash_Amber
9th October 2010, 09:18 AM
I know of someone who used to work for them, and the way it works is: They give you an online quote, then when you take it to be inspected, however much the person can take off of the car ie if they go "ah, there's a slight dent in the panel, that will be £100 off the price" they then get 10% of that so they get a tenner, and so on and so on. So you can see how the values drop so drastically! Needless to say, the person I know didn't stay long as they couldn't bring it upon themselves to rip people off!

This is exactly what happens, then they take another £50 off for administration fees, they then phone round all the local car underwriters and offer them the car at an increased price! And thats how they make their money! Total rip off!

Delboy
9th October 2010, 09:30 AM
This is exactly what happens, then they take another £50 off for administration fees, they then phone round all the local car underwriters and offer them the car at an increased price! And thats how they make their money! Total rip off!

They actually wanted £70 admin fee, plus the tax disc........'nuff said :frown:.

MiniSnaps
19th October 2010, 10:47 PM

Making a profit on selling the car on hardly qualifies as a "total rip-off", if you want an example of that take a look at the difference between the auction and retail prices on MINIs in the likes of Arnold Clark or Parks. I spotted one car in a Clark's showroom about 6 months ago, priced at £9488, the very same car is still there, only now the price has gone up to £10488...

The Dogfather
20th October 2010, 01:26 AM
That might not be a rip off, but offering you a price online to get you there then hammering it down because your ashtray is full is a rip off.

MiniSnaps
20th October 2010, 09:21 AM
That might not be a rip off, but offering you a price online to get you there then hammering it down because your ashtray is full is a rip off.

From personal experience I know that the majority of people tend to misdescribe their car when trying to sell it, forgetting things like scratches, dents damaged interior trim etc. Ultimately WBAC's target market is desperate sellers, people who for one reason or another need to sell their car quickly. If you turn up at such a place with a car you've essentially described as "mint" and it's not then you can't expect to get the quoted price....

The Dogfather
20th October 2010, 12:32 PM
Actually, I accurately described the condition of my car and they still tried to knock the price down further.

I drove to a dealer 5 miles away they instantly offered me £300 more and took the car there and then, I wasn't desperate just didn't need the car and didn't want to sell privately

ianking
20th October 2010, 02:15 PM
I put my Dads car in the we buy any car and accurately described it.
He has all ready had a price from Edinburgh Audi for it and the we buy any car was just over £4k less than the dealer offered, thats before we go there and they try and put it down.

Just done it out of interest just incase it worked in his favour.

stoney
20th October 2010, 03:39 PM
it worked in my fav when i was trading my s for the GP as they fferd about £750 -£1000 more than the dealers did so i tld them and they upped the offer on my car :yes nod:

ianking
20th October 2010, 05:36 PM
it worked in my fav when i was trading my s for the GP as they fferd about £750 -£1000 more than the dealers did so i tld them and they upped the offer on my car :yes nod:

Are you sure it wasnt just because I cleaned it :p:p:p

stoney
21st October 2010, 07:53 AM
Are you sure it wasnt just because I cleaned it :p:p:p

:moonie: