PDA

View Full Version : Battery flat and doors locked. Can you help ?

Colzee
8th October 2010, 09:09 PM
Feeling like a right daftie. Have had Cooper sitting outside for 4 weeks.
Went to open it ......nothing. Battery flat, doors won't open.
Door won't open with key in lock either.
Any suggestions? Is it possible to gain access to suitable recharge point
by removing wheel arch covers?
Thanks in advance!

Delboy
8th October 2010, 11:40 PM
Don't understand why the key wouldn't open the door? Surely there must be a way of unlocking the door without the need for power?

Best bet might be if you can operate the bonnet release from under the car - then you could get to the battery.

Good luck!

audrey
8th October 2010, 11:43 PM
Agree with Del.I had a flat battery a while back but the key still opened the door

Gismo
9th October 2010, 03:08 PM
The key should open the door, perhaps the lock has siezed, in any event, this is the best option to get in, or it's a smashed window job

Colzee
14th October 2010, 10:13 PM
THanks for the responses - confirmed that the key should open the door - clearly something wrong with locking mechanism. So what would be the cheapest window to smash?!!

stoney
14th October 2010, 10:47 PM
be one of the front windows or the boot glass i would say !!!!!

Doug_m
15th October 2010, 12:04 AM
Not the best idea... Im sure the aa can help with this.

My bros mate somehow locked his keys inside the car and aa came along put a balloon type thing in the top of the door, blew it up and managed to put something down and open the door!

You will be constanly finding glass if you break the glass...

rawtor51
15th October 2010, 07:43 AM
Dont break the glass just yet,

Cant you use an old wire coat hanger in the top of the window to pull the door catch / handle from inside.

Even if you can get somthing long enough to go in the drivers side und reach across to the passenger side and pull the door handle

GCA3N
15th October 2010, 11:44 AM
What you can do with the frameless side windows is prise the glass away from the top using a couple of wooden wedges. This will allow you access to put in a device that could possible press the lock button on the center stack or lever the door handle open. I used the technique a few times whilst I was a plod.

cooperchris
15th October 2010, 04:35 PM
Have you tried spraying WD40 or something like that into the lock, even try doing this a few times over a couple of days an keep trying the lock. Might just be seized.

KenL
17th October 2010, 07:02 PM
Have you tried your spare?

Are you with the AA or someone?

Might be worth calling your dealer for advice.

Smashing glass seems a bit drastic!

KenL
17th October 2010, 07:03 PM
lever the door handle open.

MINI has deadlocks, so this won't work.