PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh Drivers Be Warned

Wul
6th October 2010, 08:44 AM
More revenue generation....CLICKY (http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/New-cameras-put-city-in.6431078.jp) And it's official as I just spotted the legal notice for them on a lamp post outside my work.

Don't object to them on the main, long runs of bus lanes, but there are a few places where there is 20 yards of bus lane that has no purpose, like the silly wee bit on Gorgie Road just before the lights at Chesser!

Bet the part time one on Glasgow Road suddenly becomes a full time one too!

AndyP & Lenore
6th October 2010, 09:18 AM
This is just going to cause even more confusion amongst the drivers who don't realise a bus lane is only a bus lane during it's hours of operation. The number of times I'm driving in the bus lane (out of it's hours) and I'm getting flashed or honked at by other drivers because they think I'm the one in the wrong. Camera's in these bus lanes is going to make this worse.:frown:

A.:frown:

Wul
6th October 2010, 09:40 AM
I agree Andy, the part time one on the A8 is the best shortcut in and out of Edinburgh during the day, but most folk don't understand! I had a guy giving me serious verbal one morning at about 7am from his spot in the outside lane when we stopped at some lights. When I told him the outside lane was for overtaking and to read the highway code he wasn't best pleased!

Ach well, it might help to keep my council tax from going up too much! ;)

Forbes
6th October 2010, 11:04 AM
These are already in a few spots in Aberdeen. Made a crazy amount of money in the first week. Thing is should people's eyes not be on the road rather than trying to see if they can use the bus lane?

Stewart
6th October 2010, 12:53 PM
So instead of getting people to use them at the right times they make sure no one uses them. Just to be on the safe side I’d not go on the lane.

I just want them to fix the pot holes made by the buses in Glasgow.

Forbes
6th October 2010, 12:56 PM
Well the idea is that they only work for certain hours in Aberdeen, and are off at other times. Though like you Stewart I am always worried that there is a mistake

Gismo
6th October 2010, 02:10 PM
When i sat my bike test in Aberdeen the routes generally go through bus lane areas in the Bridge Of Don, it's an instant fail if you use them incorrectly, you must use it if it's available.

N16SHP
6th October 2010, 03:25 PM
See I dunno whether being a young driver and they've been there as long as we've been driving, but I am very comfortable using the bus lanes, but my folks on the other hand...! Ben, you'll know exactly where I'm talking about, but the one I see most confusion is the one at the cremitorium. People always pull out to the outside lane rather than just staying in the inside lane! Then you get the classic one on Holburn that no one seems to care its a bus lane, and fill it at 8am every morning :D

Sheilz
6th October 2010, 11:21 PM
There are only a handful of these in Aberdeen but don't think they're in the hands of the council yet. Its pretty scandalous in Aberdeen how great swathes of the city's roads have been handed over to First Bus who operate the most expensive and shoddy service in the city where the company hailed from. Public transport in Aberdeen is a disgrace, the council is a disgrace and going by past performance Aberdonians can be sure that the zealots in the Town House will exploit this to the max - not for the roads, not for essential services but to waste on whatever lunatic pet scheme the next millionaire happens to pop along with (rant, rant)

I was in Edinburgh today - blimey I hope I used the lanes correctly?!! That's the thing about these blights on our roads they're so haphazard in how they operate and liable to contribute to bumps and scrapes on the roads with drivers trying to spot the warning signs rather than looking at what's going on around them.

AndyP & Lenore
6th October 2010, 11:40 PM
Been thinking about this, and I think one of the reasons peeps don't really know when they can use the bus lanes is because the signage at the start is cr@p. So, if they sort out the signage it may help those to use the lane when they can and not use it when they can't.

A.

Wul
7th October 2010, 10:09 PM
I was in Edinburgh today - blimey I hope I used the lanes correctly?!!

Sheilz - don't worry the cameras aren't getting put up till early next year! :)