PDA

View Full Version : Took a Countryman out

AndyP & Lenore
5th October 2010, 11:23 PM
Lenore and I took a Countryman out for a wee shot yesterday.

TBH, we both expected not to like it. We thought there would be too much body roll, we thought the MINI go-cart handling would have gone and we thought it just wouldn't feel like a MINI.

What we found is that the Countryman is a paradox on many levels. There's been lots of comments on here about how fugly it is, and how "it's not a MINI" etc. And whilst I disagree with the "it's not a MINI" comments, I'm sort of on board with the ugly comments - it's by no means a pretty car. I think the extra grille facing you get with am "S" improves it a bit, but even still, it's a bit like giving Chucky a pair of Ray Ban's and saying... "There, he's cute now" It improves the look, but he'd still make small children cry. We had a ONE in Chilli red - a lot of red paint went into making this car - which sported a set of racing stripes over the bonnet and roof and a set of go faster stripes down the side. They may have broken up the all-red metalwork, but they didn't really make it go any faster.

The ONE engine may be suited to the hatch or convertible, but the countryman is just a bit too big a body and it tended to lumber a fair bit in the mid range. Pulling away it was nippy enough - especially if you stretched out the rev range a wee bit. But the car had only done 500 miles and eventually someone is going to own it so to be fair I didn't "drive it like I stole it".

But the handling is where we were most impressed. It's still a MINI. It still handles like a MINI. It still corners like a MINI and it still gives the MINI grin when you hurl the car round a corner and stick to the road in a way you really have no right doing in a 4X4. But, it wasn't a 4x4, it was just a big(ger) MINI as it wasn't an "All 4". Actually, I don't think All 4 is an option on a ONE anyway.

The Countryman certainly gave me a feeling that I was in a pretty commanding driving position, looking down onto the other drivers, very similar to what you feel in a "proper" 4x4, although not as pronounced as a Freelander 2 for example, it still felt like you were higher than other normal cars on the road. When you open the door to step out you're expecting an X5 style 3 foot jump to the ground, but when you swing your leg out you're likely to need physio for a few weeks, because the ground is actually "just there" and the jolt you get in your knee when you misjudge the distance is painful. It takes a bit of getting used to.

We took the car out round East Lothian for the afternoon and had a bit of fun driving a MINI that isn't a MINI, that sort of looks like MINI and is a MINI and handles like a MINI and feels like a MINI but shouldn't.

If we were to even think about one we'd be waiting until the more powerful engines come out (according to the dealership: first quarter 2011). The 2.0L Cooper S D in particular will no doubt pack a huge punch in this wee(big) car.

Many thanks to Peter Vardy in Edinburgh for throwing the keys at us and letting us take the car out for the afternoon.

Here's a wee pic...

http://www.motorsportphotographic.com/MINI/countryman_nms.jpg

Stewart
6th October 2010, 12:24 AM
Glad you liked it, a friend just ordered a Cooper S All 4 in coffee brown with most of the toys, not a cheap car arriving in December. She’s never driven my Mini but loved the look of it and she knows how much I love it and the way it drives.

I’ve been inside one at the dealers but not out in one and I was scared she would get this and not get as you say the Mini feel or vibe I get with my car. She’s always had fancy sports Merc cars so the S power will suit her and not take her by surprise but just glad to read it still feels right.

GCA3N
6th October 2010, 08:21 AM
Good write up Andy. I had a good look at one on Monday whilst back at the dealership. It's the size I found more surprising and even as a basic mini one it looked ok. Be really interested in seeing an S or even the all 4 jcw next year. The dealership says there's a road going wrc version too. All in all I was impressed with it in the flesh and feel that it could tick all the boxes in 2 or 3 years especially if the family grows.

zimbo
6th October 2010, 09:47 AM
I have also been out for a run in one, it was in the new blue colour (Surf Blue) with white roof, it is a very nice colour :yes nod:. This one was the Diesel version and I too am in the it is Fugly camp, but I must admit I was impressed with the handling of this behemoth and I also liked the fact that your slightly higher up than other vehicles so get better visibility whilst driving, rear visibilty was "Mehh" not the greatest but not the worst either. This car had the PDC thingymajig and when got back to the dealers after my short test run and put it into reverse, I didn't know whether to look behind me or look at the screen and watch the different colours of the sensors on the pic of the mini on the screen whilst also listening to the beeping sounds... :laugh:

I also REALLY LOVE the whole black theme they have got going on now in the new minis, looks SO much better (but then I do like black :D)

The Countryman like the rest of the range has done as they have appeared over the years is growing on me, and does look so much better in the flesh than it does in photos.

So over all I was very impressed with my very short run in it.

Its just a shame that the "Light White" colour will not be making it onto the hatches :argh: because that colur is the one colour (or close to it) I have been waiting for for EVER!!!

Flash_Amber
6th October 2010, 10:16 AM
We took one out for a run on the launch day and were surprised how well it handled. I too am not sure about the look of it yet aLthough it definately looks better in the flesh than in the photos. No doubt its look will grow on me as I remember when the Clubman first came out I thought it was fugly but now I really like it, infact so much so I think my next Mini will be a Cooper S Clubman!

GCA3N
6th October 2010, 11:11 AM
I think my next Mini will be a Cooper S Clubman!

good choice.

ELFMAN
6th October 2010, 12:18 PM
Interesting Andy.

As I've said before, I'm actually warming to the 'PHATMINI'! At least now there's something for everyone in the MINI family.

All Countryman variants thankfully seem to have 'MINI-style' handling, but I still think that attempts to turn it into a 'JCW Huge Hatch' is a bit of a mistake. The 'wee' MINIs will always be best at the traditional screaming about stuff. I reckon the 'Big Diesel' 4WD Countryman will be a decent punt when it arrives. It would suit the car's 'persona' - strong, laid back performance, tons of torque and plenty of room etc., but I've resigned myself that the 'WRC' (we'll have to see whether it's a cosmetic exercise actually packing the proper bespoke running gear) will be out of most folks' sensible financial reach though!

GCA3N
6th October 2010, 12:30 PM
Interesting Andy.

As I've said before, I'm actually warming to the 'PHATMINI'! At least now there's something for everyone in the MINI family.

All Countryman variants thankfully seem to have 'MINI-style' handling, but I still think that attempts to turn it into a 'JCW Huge Hatch' is a bit of a mistake. The 'wee' MINIs will always be best at the traditional screaming about stuff. I reckon the 'Big Diesel' 4WD Countryman will be a decent punt when it arrives. It would suit the car's 'persona' - strong, laid back performance, tons of torque and plenty of room etc., but I've resigned myself that the 'WRC' (we'll have to see whether it's a cosmetic exercise actually packing the proper bespoke running gear) will be out of most folks' sensible financial reach though!

I think your right Euan I recon it will beyond WC50 money if the cooper S countryman is anything to go by.

AndyP & Lenore
6th October 2010, 02:58 PM
Just out of interest Lenore and I specce'd up a Cooper S Countryman the other day. With all the toys we like to spec it came up to just over £30K:eek::eek::eek:. Add in the (inevitablely) higher cost of a Cooper S D when it comes out, we could have a brand new Freelander 2 for not much more money.

A.:D

N16SHP
6th October 2010, 03:22 PM
Nice write up Andy! I still have not got close to one in the flesh, although I did drive past one, however it was dark so couldn't get a decent look! I agree with Amber that they are definitely growing on me. I remember when we all looked at the first pics and I was very vocal at my dislike, although its quickly growing on me, and I am very much a lover of them now! Will hold of proper judgement until I sit in one!

Stewart
6th October 2010, 04:50 PM
Its ok they have given us somthing more to hate

Delboy
6th October 2010, 05:00 PM
Good write-up Andy :thumbs up:. I don't particularly like the look of the car you took out - there's an awful lot of stripes going on :eek: - but I've still to see one up close so will reserve overall judgement until I do so and hopefully test drive one sometime too ;).

An interesting drive by the sounds of it though.

Scottie
6th October 2010, 06:06 PM
I read somewhere that they are not putting the 2.0d engine in the Cooper SD which kinds of buggers my plan but then the other week I was told they are putting in the 2.0d engine.
Will just need to wait and see. The only thing that I noticed was how close I felt to the B Pillar and how much smaller the doors are in the countryman

Duncan Stewart
7th October 2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the review Andy.
Kinda half considering one myself in future
Read a review in the motoring press that that driving a countryman cooper S was like driving a cooper S with sports button off. That put me right off -I find my S pretty undriveable without sport on

gauldrymini
7th October 2010, 12:53 PM
Good write up Andy:thumbs up:

I can see the Countryman being a decent shout as a company car as I know companies are a bit relucant to using MINIs ...well mine was:frown:

Maybe nice to have the an ALL 4 Diesel version in a couple of years...if my budget allows!

ELFMAN
7th October 2010, 03:20 PM
Just out of interest Lenore and I specce'd up a Cooper S Countryman the other day. With all the toys we like to spec it came up to just over £30K:eek::eek::eek:. Add in the (inevitablely) higher cost of a Cooper S D when it comes out, we could have a brand new Freelander 2 for not much more money.
A.:D

For £30K I'd have a minted 2nd Hand Porsche Cayman S, :cool: hire a van when I needed to move stuff :thumbs up: and put on my walking boots if I wanted to go "Off Road" :yes nod:

Sheilz
12th October 2010, 12:56 PM
I didn't like it at all. I don't like these huge motors that give drivers the feeling that they have some go'dam' right to bully other motorists in choked city streets. At JC yesterday when I forgot to be polite about it the sales guy just said its not a mini and that I shouldn't compare it with one. Fair enough I guess as that's what I was doing. Still didn't make me like it. Coutnryman has no practical use for city drivers, its just another Chelsea tractor. Has nice seats in it though.

Stewart
12th October 2010, 06:28 PM
To be fair I'd rather it was on the school run than the massive Q7 jeeps or Range Rover Sport that seems to be the style around here.
And they all fly around at speed trying to get a space and be in time to pick there little darlings up.

KenL
12th October 2010, 07:25 PM
I didn't like it at all. I don't like these huge motors that give drivers the feeling that they have some go'dam' right to bully other motorists in choked city streets. At JC yesterday when I forgot to be polite about it the sales guy just said its not a mini and that I shouldn't compare it with one. Fair enough I guess as that's what I was doing. Still didn't make me like it. Coutnryman has no practical use for city drivers, its just another Chelsea tractor. Has nice seats in it though.

Bravo :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::c lap::clap:

Is there an award for the best post of the year on NMS? If so, this gets my vote :thumbs up:

Don't forget about being bullies on the motorway, these types of cars are even worse there, especially Range Rovers, Cayennes etc. :frown: