PDA

View Full Version : Collar Felt - not feeling great before Cullen

DNV122
12th July 2004, 02:46 AM
Picked up a bonus 3 pts and £60 last night on the way back to Aberdeen (not in the Mini) - nightmare.

A fair cop - except that in the Mini, the laser detector may have warned me earlier - dang.

You certainly slow down afterwards (with the trouble and strife earbending drowning out the music).

john
12th July 2004, 03:16 AM
Speeding is not big and its not smart:D:D

Sheilz
12th July 2004, 03:25 AM
Tough luck. Was it just a speed camera or were you caught in a speed trap?
Last year I got caught twice in two days. The first time I was ton+ and saw my driving licence disappearing into the horizon. Mindful of this carelessness I did 60 all the way from Dundee to Aberdeen the next day. By the time I got to Aberdeen - it took for ever - I was in robot mode and forgot to slow down for the Bridge of Dee camera. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry at my stupidity, especially after my over the top reaction to the day before's events! As it transpired the ton+ came to nothing but I got a ticket for 59 at BoD. Someone told me to ignore it as as many as not get cast aside since its too expensive to chase folk up. I followed this advice and duly got a summons to the district court. They set it for a Monday holiday in April! Naturally the court was cancelled! I haven't heard anything since (fingers crossed). How long can they wait before reissuing a summons? Could I be so lucky as to get off with it?
:I

Gismo
12th July 2004, 04:13 AM
Disgraceful, you'll never catch me driving at those speeds :I
Pun intended

DNV122
12th July 2004, 04:25 AM
a couple of uniformed gents in a battenberg volvo estate - after I saw the car making a turn in a layby, I thought I may have been lucky, so I 'slowed' to 70 - they followed and pulled me over - the bit where they are following is a test of nerve. Showed me the radar gun, mentioned the fact that it was dry and clear (I had dipped lights on) and mentioned that its cars coming out of side roads that cause the accidents, not anticipating cars doing greater than 70....

Sheilz
12th July 2004, 04:50 AM
I've seen a couple of those dark blue volvos prowling on the A9 and likewise between Montrose and Arbroath.
Could have been worse though. My eldest son was nabbed on the A90 at 83mph and he got £150+5points. It was his first offence too.
:(:I

Monsta Mo Mini
12th July 2004, 04:32 PM
Mmmm....

I got 3pts and a £60 portrait from Fife constabulary back in April for 77mph on a dry, clear, empty dual carraigeway. I took some legal advice and was told I'd be wasting mt time as Fife police are a bunch of money grabbing f*ckwits! That additional 3pts hurts the wallet come insurance time!

I'll be among the slow coaches at the back of the convoy to Cullen.

Heather
12th July 2004, 05:15 PM
Bad luck...I know how it feels:(:mad:

Tahra
12th July 2004, 07:48 PM
I kindof hoped my cheque and license would go astray in the post last month, but it wasnt to be - and the Clerk was super speedy at cashing it !

Steve74
12th July 2004, 07:48 PM
If we didn't have to spend a good deal of our awareness looking out for speed cameras or cop cars then we could quite carefully drive at 80 or so on a motorway instead of the daft 1968 dated speed limit we have and pay more of our attention to the cars around us. Very lucky not to have any points right now but hearing of that exessive fine and 5 points for doing 83 - crazy. Gets my goat this money focussed nanny state... Apologies for the rant :evil::D:clown:

The Dogfather
12th July 2004, 09:04 PM
I've noticed that if you stick at 80 on the A90 that the cameras don't trigger, anybody else noticed this?

I've also triggered the camera in the 30mph zone in Bucksburn, Aberdeen doing 40mph. Jackie was sent the form to declare who the driver was she filled it in and sent it back. I was then sent the form and declared I was driving, never heard anything else and that was 2 years ago.

Perhaps the way to get out of it is to send off the form saying someone else was driving but give your own name as the other driver, might stand a chance of the fine/points going astray as they seem to screw up on the paper work........

Gismo
12th July 2004, 09:29 PM
The A90 cameras are set to 82 mph :(

Sheilz
12th July 2004, 09:50 PM
They used to be set at 83. I think it was last year they changed. If I know I'm going to be using a route on a regular basis one of the first things I do is check out speed cameras. I regularly do Aberdeen Arbroath and Hamish now knows exactly when to slow down. You can tell those who know and those who dont what speed the cameras are set at!!
I got told it was 10%+3/4 miles before cameras were supposed to activiate but I dont think this happens in built up areas.:(

Monsta Mo Mini
12th July 2004, 10:03 PM
It's different across the regions.

I think it's just down to how greedy the local authority are. There certainly doesn't seem to be any consistency in the penalties handed down.

The first time I was done (fair cop - unmarked car on the A90 at Gateside) it was 3pts and £60 for 89mph which poses some questions about the penalty handed out to Sheilz's son.

I would certainly NEVER rely on the figures quoted before a camera is triggered...

ELFMAN
12th July 2004, 10:45 PM
Sorry to hear about your brush with the law. As I mentioned on the “Arbroath” link, I was metres away from a nice Gatso photo while trying to catch up with the Stirling convoy on the way up to Perth. 99% sure it didn't go off. Fingers still crossed.

SO easily done when you're in a hurry - and I'm usually pretty careful. Remembered the first one, but forgot the second one about a couple of miles further on. TWAT that I am. Certainly made me think. Not pleasant.

Sheilz
12th July 2004, 11:13 PM
I reduce my speed to 78-80 (never above) when going through the cameras on A90. They've never gone off at this speed.:):)

Jeff
13th July 2004, 03:18 AM
I'll just warn everyone that the covert crew from Central Scotland Police sit at the layby on the A9 at Allan Water at Dunblane, the buggers did me for 77 in a 70 limit I did see them but was obviously too late they got me it was christmas eve too bah humbug!

If anyone saw Topgear on Sunday JC was getting on his high horse about the old gatso's again he had someone drunk and out there face go through it at 27 mph, someone dressed as Bin Laden under the limit then a wee old granny doing 34 she got stung it was so funny!!