PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advice!

Flash_Amber
30th September 2010, 08:22 AM
We went to look at 52 plate Mini One last night, just something for Scott to use back and forward to work and as our daily car to save piling the mileage on the R56.

There are a few issues that we're not too sure about: The power steering has quite a loud 'whine' to it and felt heavy (tyre pressures appeared ok). - Is this an indication that its on its way out?

The clutch pedal was very heavy although gears were ok - could clutch be on way out? (does this model/year have the dual mass flywheel?)

The other odd thing was the front wheels. The off side front sits about 1cm further back than the other, however the car drives straight and does not pull????

The problem being we have only ever had the R56 so are tending to compare it to that and they are really two different cars altogether so any advice/opinions would be gratefully received. We are going back for another look tomorrow as it was getting dark when we went yesterday.

Craig
30th September 2010, 08:41 AM
Power steering pump couldbe on the way out... Check if it's ever been replaced... Clutch heavy? Well that depends what your referring to... My Mini clutch isvery heavy compared to my punto, but it works fine so might nit be an issue.... ;)

as for the wheel issue.... Hmmmm I take it the tyres aren't scrubbing ?? Check it's not been in an accident with an hpi for peace of mind..

Gismo
30th September 2010, 08:42 AM
When you tried the steering was the car stationary, if so, this puts the steering under heavier tension and i would expect the whine to be more noticeable, best to actually drive the car forward slowly and then make excessive side to side turns, in a safe area of course.

The clutch pedal being heavy, could mean it's on the way out, but, check to see where the bite point is when starting off in first,if it is not almost at the end of it's upward travel then maybe it's ok. Final check, put it in second with the handbrake on and attempt to drive off, if the car stalls very easily then it may well be ok, but, if the cutch can be let out all the way and the engine is still running then walk away from it, unless you agree to a new clutch.

Finally, are you sure the wheel is not the same distance? maybe it's the wheel arch out of alignment, take a piece of string with you and measure each side from the rear wheel centre to the front wheel centre, if the same, then it's probably just had the bumper off at some stage.
A lot of folks change the bumpers for cosmetic looks and maybe had an aerokit on it at some stage.

Good luck

stoney
30th September 2010, 09:20 AM
Well I think gismo and Craig have covered every thing

I have done the 2nd gear and cluch thing before to see if the cluch was ok and it works well just do exact what gizmo said :-)

ianking
30th September 2010, 10:03 AM
Rermber that the power steering pumps are noisy on the early cars even if they are working OK and also note that that the steering is much heavier on an R50 than it is on an R56.
Like others have said try pulling away in the likes of 3rd and if it aint slipping then the clutch is OK. If its bighting really high up then its worn down.

An HPi report will only show if the car has been either a class C or D write off, stolen recovered or has finance still on it. It wont actually tell you if its had an insurance claim for accident damage. Its still worth doing a report when buying privately, particularly as you could be buying someone elses dept.

Big Gordy
30th September 2010, 10:07 AM
Steering pumps on the R50/53's are always 'noisy' IMO....its all to do with them being electric I think :rolleyes: They do make considerably more noise when you turn the steering wheel while stationary. Gismo's clutch testing method is the way to go for checking if the clutch is goosed or not.....won't tell you if its on the way out tho....don't think there is a way of telling that:confused:

Big Gordy
30th September 2010, 10:18 AM
The one thing that does bug me about the R50 'ONE' we have is reverse gear:ragin:
Some times it slots in first time with no problems and the next time it takes umpteen attempts to get it to slot in.........this always happens when i'm in the middle of the road of course:rolleyes: I even replaced the cable to see if that cured it but nope its still the same:frown: Don't know how all those learners in the driving school minis manage:popcorn:

Bazthemod
30th September 2010, 10:28 AM
The one thing that does bug me about the R50 'ONE' we have is reverse gear:ragin:
Some times it slots in first time with no problems and the next time it takes umpteen attempts to get it to slot in.........this always happens when i'm in the middle of the road of course:rolleyes: I even replaced the cable to see if that cured it but nope its still the same:frown: Don't know how all those learners in the driving school minis manage:popcorn:

My instructor told me to press the clutch down twice before selecting reverse as her car had this issue. Then I got my ONE and it did the same so I got used to pressing the clutch twice and it seems to solve the problem.

Big Gordy
30th September 2010, 11:30 AM
press the clutch down twice before selecting reverse

Mmmmmmmm....need to try that :thumbs up: I find a severe bout of tarets and a bit of wrestling with the gearstick usually works :rolleyes:

Flash_Amber
1st October 2010, 07:49 AM
Thanks guys for all the info, we are going back for a better look today, armed with our string! I'll let you know how it goes :thumbs up:

Crombers
1st October 2010, 11:58 AM

Mine has been like this too from day one. My method is to go back into neutral, foot off the clutch & try again. Usually works :thumbs up: