PDA

View Full Version : Back to Black

Roscoe
27th September 2010, 11:46 AM
Hi guys, more advice needed!

What would you recommend for the black trim on the outside, ie wheel arches, spoiler etc? Spent ages cleaning Ladymck's Cooper yesterday, only thing letting it down is the black trim.

Oh and tyres, what would you recommend for dressing them?

Cheers!

ianking
27th September 2010, 12:20 PM
I like chemical guys trim gel for the black plastic arches and skirts etc. You dont need much, put it on with an applicator pad then after doing all the plastics go round them with a cloth to buff them down a wee bit. That way the dust doesnt stick to it.

For the tyre walls I really like the gloss it tyre gloss.
Its the only product I have found (and Ive tried many many tyre dressings) that doesnt sling off over the car.
Dont be put off by the price as a little goes a long way.
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/gloss-it-signature-tyre-gloss.html

Roscoe
27th September 2010, 12:24 PM
Thanks Ian

GCA3N
27th September 2010, 04:38 PM
Chemical guys stuff is good I use it on the tyres. Changed now to autosmart trim restorer for the plastic trim very easy to use and lasts for ages.

Roscoe
27th September 2010, 04:53 PM
Thanks, I've had a look at the Chemical Guys stuff in the net, will now have a look at the Autosmart.

Stewart
27th September 2010, 06:43 PM
I have both, but the CG stuff for me ran no matter how I did it.

Went with the Autosmart stuff and it will last me ages even if it’s a small bottle. TRIM ULTRA. It actually works and easy to use, I think I still need to hold back on the amount but after the four hours to cure it lasted through heavy rain and the trim is looking nice after a few weeks. That was just my first layer

I got it here 500ML or 250ML is enough of the stuff to last ages.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/washshop

The Autoglym trim gel is good as well.

GCA3N
27th September 2010, 07:45 PM
I have both, but the CG stuff for me ran no matter how I did it.

Went with the Autosmart stuff and it will last me ages even if it’s a small bottle. TRIM ULTRA. It actually works and easy to use, I think I still need to hold back on the amount but after the four hours to cure it lasted through heavy rain and the trim is looking nice after a few weeks. That was just my first layer

I got it here 500ML or 250ML is enough of the stuff to last ages.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/washshop

The Autoglym trim gel is good as well.

Doh yeh trim ultra cheers Stewart.

Colin
27th September 2010, 09:36 PM
Autoglym Bumper Care is what I use, works ok for me.

Crombers
28th September 2010, 06:38 AM
I use black paint, magic stuff :rolleyes: :thumbs up:

k3ith
28th September 2010, 10:38 PM
Trim wizard from autosmart is another good one. And another product thats good is - Black Wow & Dodo juice - trim sealant.
your right with trim ultra you only need a tiny amount 500ml would last a very long time 250ml is def plenty.

Sheilz
28th September 2010, 10:56 PM
Peanut oil is also highly recommended for bringing plastic trim back to pristine condition.

Roscoe
29th September 2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Peanut oil? Doesn't that smell?

Sheilz
29th September 2010, 07:45 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Peanut oil? Doesn't that smell?

No lingering smell. Darren used this on his trim or rather his car's trim and the finish was/is superb. Trim felt and looked like it was just out of the showroom. Cheap too which is always a bonus

AndyP & Lenore
29th September 2010, 09:35 PM
Peanut oil is certainly the low-cost approach and I have to admit it works a treat. After a fairly liberal application, wipe over with a damp cloth, refolding regularly, to take the majority of the stickyness off. However, it will still be sticky for a while afterwards and will likely attract bugs, dust etc.

I use Autoglym Bumper Care. Stick it in a warm bucket of water first to warm it up, apply with a damp applicator pad and once it's all applied, wipe over with a damp cloth using single even sweeping movements to keep the finish even. Again, keep refolding the cloth to use a clean section each time.

I also wear thin gloves when I'm using AG Bumper care as it's a greasy horrible stuff on your fingers and takes ages to clean off.

I've used Black Wow too and don't rate it as highly as AG Bumper Care.

I use Blackfire Tyre trim for the tyres but after applying you really can't move the car for a good few hours or it spins off all over your alloys. Yuk.

A.:D

Delboy
29th September 2010, 10:20 PM
Andy, you should try using AG Bumper Care on your tyres too. Lasts well and no fly-off.

craigib76
7th October 2010, 06:07 PM
autoglym instant tyre dressing is good i use it for all my black plastics and rubber on the car

lowrider
11th October 2010, 06:54 PM
Yes to the chemical guys gel. If applied properly (micro sponge and worked in a little section at a time. Less is more with this stuff!) it is the best on the market,in my opinion. If the trim has not been touched in a while best to strip the crud off it first. I used Autoglym tar remover. It strips all the wax etc from the plastic to allow the Chemical Guys gel to pemetrate the plastic for that new look. As Ian says, buff off the excess gel for that new matt look. Don't ever touch a can of Back to Black it is cheap and nasty stuff from the 80's!

GCA3N
11th October 2010, 07:09 PM
Yes to the chemical guys gel. If applied properly (micro sponge and worked in a little section at a time. Less is more with this stuff!) it is the best on the market,in my opinion. If the trim has not been touched in a while best to strip the crud off it first. I used Autoglym tar remover. It strips all the wax etc from the plastic to allow the Chemical Guys gel to pemetrate the plastic for that new look. As Ian says, buff off the excess gel for that new matt look. Don't ever touch a can of Back to Black it is cheap and nasty stuff from the 80's!

:yes nod: