PDA

View Full Version : Light Scratches

Roscoe
22nd September 2010, 06:25 PM
When we picked the Mini up from the dealer, it looked like all the light scratches had gone. Good job I thought. Now they've reappeared on the bumper and the drivers door.

Would anyone recommend using the coloured polishes that you can buy? Will they do a decent job of covering up? Any other suggestions?

Stewart
22nd September 2010, 06:33 PM
it might just have been a polish filling in the scratches when as you say they were light. Is this a swirl marks that you only see in certain light or an actual scratch you can feel?

Roscoe
22nd September 2010, 06:43 PM
These are actual scratches, quite a few on the upper flat surface of the rear bumper and a couple of light one's on the driver's door. Not deep, but showing white.

Stewart
22nd September 2010, 07:03 PM
White sounds like it's through the Clear coat and paint to the plastic. I bought stuff for paint chips that you can blend in and it can be built up.

GCA3N
22nd September 2010, 07:29 PM
A machine pollish is what you need, well depending on how deep they are. It will make a huge difference though. I took some really bad scratches out of my wifes car with a cutting pad and compound. It's not a job if you are not sure what you are doing or indeed have the equipment. Ian (the king of shine) should be along soon to advise too. I'd offer but I'm in Arran.

Roscoe
23rd September 2010, 07:37 AM
Mmmmm, a wee trip to Arran, very tempting! Not been there for years but if I remember rightly, you have some fab roads there. One I remember well in an MG Metro is the String Road? Sliddery via Ross I think it is.

ianking
23rd September 2010, 08:36 AM
Im just outside Edinburgh if its any help.

Do cars for folks most weekends. Quite a number of happy customers on here that can vouch for the work

GCA3N
23rd September 2010, 08:44 AM
Mmmmm, a wee trip to Arran, very tempting! Not been there for years but if I remember rightly, you have some fab roads there. One I remember well in an MG Metro is the String Road? Sliddery via Ross I think it is.

Do cars for folks most weekends. Quite a number of happy customers on here that can vouch for the work

You should take this offer up, Ian's the man :)

Roscoe
23rd September 2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the offer! I shall discuss with Ladymck and see what she says.

ianking
23rd September 2010, 02:33 PM
You should take this offer up, Ian's the man :)

thanks, Im alot cheaper than most bodyshops as its a bit of a hobby

baptie
23rd September 2010, 06:11 PM
its a bit of a hobby

The understatement of the year!

Lady Mck
26th September 2010, 03:52 PM

hi lady mck here,my hubby has ben on talking to you guys about this and he has cleaned up and polished car today and it looks fab! thanks for the offer,maybe contact you in the future when we dont have so much going on....and can manage a trip away!