PDA

View Full Version : Countryman loses to both Skoda Yeti & Audi A3 in Autoexpress test!

KenL
17th September 2010, 09:37 PM
Why buy a Countryman? It does not look great and from these tests, does it offer anything over the competition? It is NOT a MINI IMO :frown:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/256960/mini_countryman_vs_skoda_yeti.html

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/256963/mini_countryman_vs_audi_a3.html

john
17th September 2010, 09:39 PM
My neighbour wanted a countryman but the delivery is too long so has ordered a Yeti

N16SHP
17th September 2010, 09:50 PM
Yeah but the thing is, we buy our Mini's because they are different, and for what they stand for. You could buy a fully loaded Fiesta Titanium with all the toys, or a decent second hand A3 for 14K, but we don't. We buy the averagely spec'd Mini because of what it is and its history. Its the same for the Countryman. You could buy a Nissan Juke, because in a few months time, once the Countryman has flooded the market, its gonna be more unique than the C'man. Next on my shopping list is a JCW, and after that, probably a Countryman, purely because I love the Mini brand and what it stands for. I drove my mates S3 at the start of the year. Yes it's quick, yes it handles just as well as the Mini, but its £26k and also is super boring inside! All just in my humble opinion of course :D

Craig
17th September 2010, 10:18 PM
Your humble opinion Neil is " Bang On"!! :thumbs up:

The Dogfather
17th September 2010, 10:22 PM
I had a look at the Yeti add its a cracking car with quirky looks, I'm looking at a Countryman this weekend.

Given the fact that the Yeti has a 170bhp diesel engine and its much cheaper, if I was in the market for that type of car I'd probably go for a Yeti

Flash_Amber
17th September 2010, 10:49 PM
Yeah but the thing is, we buy our Mini's because they are different, and for what they stand for. You could buy a fully loaded Fiesta Titanium with all the toys, or a decent second hand A3 for 14K, but we don't. We buy the averagely spec'd Mini because of what it is and its history. Its the same for the Countryman. You could buy a Nissan Juke, because in a few months time, once the Countryman has flooded the market, its gonna be more unique than the C'man. Next on my shopping list is a JCW, and after that, probably a Countryman, purely because I love the Mini brand and what it stands for. I drove my mates S3 at the start of the year. Yes it's quick, yes it handles just as well as the Mini, but its £26k and also is super boring inside! All just in my humble opinion of course :D

I agree with these comments, I love the MINI brand and always have done. Even hubby who is a Ford man through and through is really impressed with the new Mini. He has always wanted a Focus ST but since I have had my Cooper he now wants a Mini too. I will reserve judgement on the Countryman till I see it in the flesh myself tomorrow :thumbs up:

Bazthemod
17th September 2010, 11:02 PM
Good old Auto Express, testing lower spec clubman compared to almost top of range in the other models. Also is the A3 not an estate car rather than crossover?

Would be interesting to see if the outcome was the same with an All4 Cooper S countryman. Yes more expensive than the others but a more balanced test. I don't feel these cars are really comparable - I don't imagine too many people up the country swaying between these models. Yes the Skoda is good for the money but I doubt that many people would be comparing the 2. Fairer test is the Nissan Juke or Qashqai.

Lets not forget the John Cooper Works lost to a Clio on 5th gear... would I have a clio? No and I would say most people would still choose Mini.

Anyway not that it will affect sales - orderbooks are filling up and lead time will hamper sales more than anything.

It's also been announced Mini will unveil a concept scooter next week.... AE might do a right-up against a fireblade or summin lol

http://www.motoringfile.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/4973728442_e3d159f12f_b.jpg

AndyP & Lenore
17th September 2010, 11:24 PM
Like Baz, I just don't see the point of comparing a Countryman to an A3. Strange choice.

Agree with Neil too, there may be cheaper cars, there may be easier to access cars, and there may be even more practical cars - but their not MINI's.:frown:

A.:D

ELFMAN
18th September 2010, 12:16 AM
I agree with EVERYBODY!!!! Shock Horror.

If people want to buy a YETI (which is supposed to be a pretty good motor) or an A3 (smart, efficient etc, but you'll be bored to death in 6 weeks, I mean Audi names its cars after a PAPER SIZES for God's sake!), fair enough, but I don't think they're the same sort of people attracted to MINI in the first place, so I don't think it'll really harm sales of the Countryman. The afforementioned person who 'wanted' a Countryman, but couldn't wait.... well they didn't REALLY want one did they? OK so there are things that MINIs can't do as well as other makes, BUT - all MINIs do what they do very well and with more flair, style and FUN than a cave-full of Yetis or a pallet-load of A3's.

KenL
18th September 2010, 07:57 AM
Like Baz, I just don't see the point of comparing a Countryman to an A3. Strange choice.

Agree with Neil too, there may be cheaper cars, there may be easier to access cars, and there may be even more practical cars - but their not MINI's.:frown:

I don't really feel the Countryman IS a MINI. For me MINI is a small British car with endearing features and a cheeky character, I see none of this in the Countryman.

Roll on the Coupe and Roadster, they WILL be MINI for sure.

N16SHP
18th September 2010, 09:03 AM
I don't really feel the Countryman IS a MINI. For me MINI is a small British car with endearing features and a cheeky character, I see none of this in the Countryman.

I agree with you there. Although in today's world, Mini would probably struggle to stay in business with just one car after a while. I think it realises and see's an opportunity to expand and put the loveable features into a bigger car.

Also agree, cannot wait to see the roadster and coupe!!

Bazthemod
18th September 2010, 11:26 AM
Exactly right Neil, look what happened to Rover. They never developed the Mini any further than to give it MPI and an airbag! When eventually they got the hint it was too late and BMW swooped in for the kill.

Now we have a full range of models that suit many different demographics. There will always be the original MINI but now it has brothers and sisters with the same MINI DNA and they fully deserve to be regarded as MINI.

Don't get size confused with brand.

AndyP & Lenore
18th September 2010, 12:05 PM

Exactly right Neil, look what happened to Rover. They never developed the Mini any further than to give it MPI and an airbag! When eventually they got the hint it was too late and BMW swooped in for the kill.

Now we have a full range of models that suit many different demographics. There will always be the original MINI but now it has brothers and sisters with the same MINI DNA and they fully deserve to be regarded as MINI.

Don't get size confused with brand.

Baz just saved me the trouble of typing my own answer. Cheers.

We also can't wait for the Roadster. Have our names down for one already with JC's.:thumbs up:

Scottie
18th September 2010, 03:10 PM
I went for my test drive today never really thought OMG this is not a mini, thought the Countryman was rather good actually.

Flash_Amber
18th September 2010, 04:48 PM
I went for my test drive today never really thought OMG this is not a mini, thought the Countryman was rather good actually.

We too went for a test drive today and were very impressed. Having just seen it in photographs I wasn't too sure about it, but seeing it and driving it today confirmed that it is still a MINI. We test drove the ONE but even it was pretty good. On show also were a Cooper D and a Cooper S. Have to say the S was really rather nice but then it did have all the toys and cost £30,000! :smilewinkgrin:

Scottie
18th September 2010, 05:26 PM
I would agree and when they bring out the SD in the coutryman all boxes will be ticked me thinks.

euan
18th September 2010, 10:36 PM
It's funny, I'd not really looked at these as I'd written them off as being too far "off message". However, what they are is how to keep people in Minis.

When I had my first Mini, I was a mere youngster (well, it was a 51 plate!). It fitted in perfectly for what I needed - a fun, great looking, exciting car that offered some practicalities. I lived in the city so parking was easy, and everyone loved it. Including the Japanese tourist who jumped out in front of me on Princes Street to take it's photo. But as I got a bit older and needed more space and practicality, the mini, grudgingly and regrettably (should have kept it longer!), had to go.

Now, families come along. What I want is a Golf sized car, but everything there is dull. The Clubman isn't big enough (our friends have one with their wee one and it's a nightmare). So people get rid of them, may buy a 1 series so the money stays in BMW, but wouldn't it be better to keep it in Mini too? That's where the Countryman comes in.

The above is all hypothetical - though a mate of mine is having that exact debate as we speak.

As for Audi's being dull - as the owner of a very dull A4 Avant, if you buy the right one they're not dull ;-)

KenL
19th September 2010, 02:18 PM
I agree Euan. Audis are excellent cars apart from those daft lights they've all got now.

Mon the fish
19th September 2010, 04:11 PM
Audi's are good, I used to be in charge of a company car fleet which was solely Audi's, from A4 to A8. Lovely cars, but they just don't involve you - you feel totally detached from the driving, which you would never be in a 5 series.

And I always turned off the chintzy driving lights before handing over a new one to a company car driver - they were always too dumb to work out how to put them back on :-)

Bazthemod
19th September 2010, 05:08 PM
Well just been for a test drive in the Diesel Cooper, it's very nippy and the car def still feels like a MINI. The only thing I noticed was there is increased body roll which feels a bit weird coming from the JCW. But you can still chuck it about comfortably and there is plenty poke in it. The cabin still feels MINI once you get behind the wheel and the steering feels familiar, the new colour scheme inside with the darkened controls looks superb and much better than the current r56.

Mum and Dad have priced a Cooper S Countryman sadly we couldn't test it as it was the showroom model and was inside a tent! We then went into Nissan to see the facelift version of our Qashqai and they have jumped up the prices to countryman levels! So Maw's having a dilemma over what to choose lol but countryman is edging it at moment.

Now looking at Feb/March for delivery

Stewart
19th September 2010, 05:30 PM
the darkened controls looks superb and much better than the current r56.

Not been in to see the facelift cars but from the pic's on the net I liked the look of the Controls, I liked the old R50-53 ones.
I think my current R56 look to kiddie and cheapen the car.

korky
19th September 2010, 08:48 PM
We've grown our son as old as 8 without finding the Cooper too small....granted he's wee for his age (I haven't stunted his growth on purpose, honest!!). The Countryman just doesn't look 'mini' enough for me, but I might have to reconsider in the event of a growth spurt!

ELFMAN
20th September 2010, 02:50 PM
COUNTRYMAN Mrs Baz's Mum!!!!

I didn't 'get' the Countryman at all initially, but seeing it as an extension of the MINI range which will keep folks in the family... when they have a family, or just need the space, I've come around to the concept. Every other manufacturer seems to be bringing out some kind of 'Crossover' model, so putting aside all the 'is it or isn't it a real MINI?' arguments, it's a pretty important undertaking for MINI - and from what folks are saying, it seems to have retained enough MINI DNA to hopefully be a cut above the opposition. There will always be the Hatches and soon the Coupe/Roadster models to keep everyone happy, so I no longer see it as a threat to the MINI we all know and love.

However, the fact that a well-spec'd Countryman S would cost £30K still sticks in my throat a bit... that's just silly, and another argument for another day. I reckon the COOPER D version in 'mildly-optioned' form would be a good practical and stylish day-to day bet and wouldn't break the bank. The forthcoming Prodrive WRC version won't do it any harm either, but will no doubt spawn a legion of horrendous pseudo-performance look-a-likes which still won't be as good a drive as the S or JCW Hatch.... or you might be able to buy a 'proper' one from MINI - for about £60K.

Stewart
21st September 2010, 06:04 PM
Well there advertising is working, Chalk one Countryman down.

A Close Family friend who has had nothing other than Black sport Merc’s over the years is thinking about getting a new Countryman in Black. She’s only swaying about to get the 4X4 version or just the normal with all the toys and an Auto Box.

She loves my Mini but what sold it really is the four doors for the Kid’s. as the two door Merc was beginning to annoy. They just got a brand new 4x4 as they really do need it as they have been snowed in a few times and its almost a private road they live but as she said the cost jumps up with the 4x4 option.

But getting back on topic it’s the last person I’d have thought would be interested.

The Dogfather
21st September 2010, 06:57 PM
I thought I would be interested but when I had a look I decided it wasn't for me, nothing majorly wrong with the Countryman but the boot wasn't big enough for our dogs so there's no point in changing