PDA

View Full Version : Warranty work?

jdl_1967
15th September 2010, 09:44 PM
I bought my 2003 R53 Works through MINI Cherished and it's only 6 months into its 12 month warranty period. It has only covered 28k from new and I have the below noted areas I was wondering might fall within the warranty;

1. Sometimes when cold the engine has a very pronounced top end rattle.
2. At any engine temperature the engine rattles loudly under acceleration (sounds appears to be coming from nearside of engine), vanished under steady throttle openings.
3. Loud squeak coming from engine bay when engine takes up drive, either from standstill or after changing gear. Possibly coming from below the exhaust manifold area.
4. Droning noise heard within cabin that is road speed dependent rather than engine speed, wheel bearing?
5. Dash rattles at all engine speeds / road speeds but stops if you put your hand in the vent.

Anyone have any ideas please as to a prognosis of the above noted niggles and whether or not MINI will cover these under its warranty?

Many thanks in advance

John

Craig
15th September 2010, 10:16 PM
John,

give me a ring at work and I'll come out in the car with you to listen to the problems if you want.... Their ain't much I haven't heard of or had as a problem .... :lol:

as to warranty, well pretty much anything that isn't a wear and tear issue should be covered. The rattles are something they don't always cover as MINI don't give the dealer the money for them, but if they are making enough off the other warranty repairs, they usually do it for free.....

What dealer were you thinking of taking it to? ;)

Doug_m
15th September 2010, 10:18 PM
2- i had this problem around 18 months ago, ended up mine was the harmonic damper(camshaft damper).
Others on here may think its pulley tensioner though

4- sounds like a w/b.

5- my dash sometimes gives a rattle, i put my finger in small vent n give it a yank, or give a push.
Also seen folk stick thin card between dash and window, not visible though! Lol

Hope that helps
:thumbs up:

jdl_1967
15th September 2010, 10:25 PM
Cheers Guys, Craig I'll take you up on that if you don't mind. I was thinking of John Clark, but it will probably mean at least 2 trips, possibly more. So probably just Menzies, but I know they're not well spoken about.

Craig
15th September 2010, 10:29 PM
no probs - 2912 is my ext at work ;) in tomorrow and friday normal hours :yes nod: