PDA

View Full Version : PC Scam Warning - don't get caught out.

AndyP & Lenore
4th September 2010, 07:07 PM
I'm pretty sure most folk on here won't be caught out by this because you're a worldly-wise bunch and can see an obvious scam in the works. but for the benefit of our more vulnerable members - I'm think of the elderly here - I thought I should share this story. So, Elfman and Weefossy read on...:yes nod::laugh:

Our supervisor (Andy) in the cinema just told me of something that happened with his dad. He came down the stairs the other day and found his dad on the phone to "A Company." He had his laptop open and he was being talked through by "A Company" on setting his PC up for remote access by the support assistant. He watched "A Company" connect and start looking round his PC. At this point Andy thought it was Dell who his dad had called for support on something. He asked his dad to cover the mouthpiece and he asked him why he called Dell in the first place. His dad said.... "No, they called me. Said they wanted to check the system status." Andy immediately pulled the phone connection out the back of the router, then spent the next 3 hours getting rid of the sh!t they had installed on it.

After asking his dad some more questions, it seems they weren't Dell at all, they were some kind of PC support company. He can't remember the name they gave but he did do a search for this scam and it seems it's pretty common. A general call goes like so...

Company: "Hi, do you find you PC is running slow just now?"
User: "Yeah."
Company: "OK, if you right-click My Computer, then click 'manage' and tell me how many errors are showing in the error logs".
User: "oh there's about 200 errors showing."
Company: "Ah, sounds like you have a virus. We can sort that for you remotely. We just need you to do the following...."

What follows is they ask you to allow them access to the PC using remote assistance or some other remote enabling service, they install some cheap system maintenance software, do a hard drive defrag, then charge you £300 recurring annually for the their trouble!

The company called Andy's dad back, so he put Andy on the phone and Andy told them which platform to get off on.

Like I say, I'm sure most of you would spot this as a scam a mile away, but would you Mum/Dad etc... So, pass the word around to your family members. Don't get caught out.:thumbs up:

A.:D

GCA3N
4th September 2010, 07:11 PM
Andy thanks for the heads up it really is a very sad world.:frown::frown:

Bazthemod
4th September 2010, 07:14 PM
We are getting alot of machines in with this issue... poor woman actually paid it couple of weeks ago. Nasty people out there.

euan
4th September 2010, 07:29 PM
My father in law had this, pretending to be Microsoft and was about to allow full remote access to his PC before my brother in law spotted what was going on and stopped him.

Shocking really.

N16SHP
4th September 2010, 09:40 PM
I had a company claiming to be Vodafone call me up two days ago, and then proceed to ask for my pin for my account to which i replied...you phoned me, you should be looking at my details now...and they quickly hung up...idiots! But i'd imagine a few folk would just go eh yeah ok its ****!

Stewart
5th September 2010, 12:44 PM
Thankfully My Mother would not know how to switch on a PC or laptop but there has been a few times when I’ve been in and she’s got a call and started answering questions down the phone to complete strangers but nothing serious like banking details. But I always tell her just put the phone down on them and don’t answer anything.

Think My mum still thinks its rude not to answer the nice person when I’m trying to drill into her there is some right nasty people out there. Credit due all the same I’ve heard her answer and say no thank you and put the phone down.

GCA3N
5th September 2010, 02:37 PM
Thankfully My Mother would not know how to switch on a PC or laptop but there has been a few times when I’ve been in and she’s got a call and started answering questions down the phone to complete strangers but nothing serious like banking details. But I always tell her just put the phone down on them and don’t answer anything.

Think My mum still thinks its rude not to answer the nice person when I’m trying to drill into her there is some right nasty people out there. Credit due all the same I’ve heard her answer and say no thank you and put the phone down.

Your so right. I got cold called the other day and I was trying to be polite saying I am not interested but this guy was like a dog with A bone, eventually mid sentence I just hung up.

Delboy
5th September 2010, 09:09 PM
Good post Andy. I had actually heard of this happening to a friend of my Dad and it was supposed to be Microsoft calling. He had been having problems with his computer so thought they had called to help - how he thought they knew he was having problems is beyond me. He gave them full remote access to his pc - dear knows what they did to it.
There are some real barstewards in this world.

AndyP & Lenore
5th September 2010, 11:46 PM
Had no idea this was as widespread as it seems:frown:. Glad I posted this now.:thumbs up:

A.