PDA

View Full Version : Clay bar detailing

GCA3N
1st September 2010, 05:36 PM
Well I got my new meguires claybar kit out today to try it on the wife's car first. Been wanting to try this out for a while but being scared, for some reason.

Usual routine but clayed after the wash, results are fantastic paintwork is now like glass. Used the G220 machine polisher afterwards to try out the new menzerna speed wax. Results were superb.

Obviously useless thread without pics so going to get some just now, very tired.

If anyone is thinking about doing this then they have to give it a go it really transforms the look of the paintwork, especially when you apply the waxes etc afterwards.
Bonnet was still poor.
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/detailing101.jpg

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/IMG_3135.jpg
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/IMG_3140.jpg

AndyP & Lenore
1st September 2010, 06:13 PM
Clay and polish leaves a stunning result.:thumbs up:

Never like "modding a mod", but is this in the right forum? Either Car Care forum or (as it's a Honda) OTAB would be better.... right?:confused:

A.:D

Stewart
1st September 2010, 06:34 PM
I bought the meg's bars, I used one with very light touch and Last-touch as lube but it did not pick up much if anything and as I dont machine polish I left it as you can marr the paint and as usual I was like " you can do what?" . But it must work as they all do it.

AndyP & Lenore
1st September 2010, 06:51 PM
I bought the meg's bars, I used one with very light touch and Last-touch as lube but it did not pick up much if anything and as I dont machine polish I left it as you can marr the paint and as usual I was like " you can do what?" . But it must work as they all do it.

The sonus green clay marred my paintwork on both MINI's. Machine polishing with Menzerna final finish or hand polishing with autoglym SRP took the marring out no problem. However, the Dodo clay I bought is even softer than the Sonus, was easier to use and took more cr@p off more easily. Hardly any marring with the Dodo stuff too.

A.

Craig
1st September 2010, 06:58 PM
I used a clay bar once and will prob never use one again.... I just didn't like it, plus I found it gave me more work....! :frown:

GCA3N
1st September 2010, 07:01 PM
I don't understand what the problem u guys experienced, I used the meguires detailing spray, quite alot of it, and just rubbed the clay all over, buffing the excess spray left over. Had no issues or marking what so ever.

Oh thread moved BTW.:thumbs up:

Stewart
1st September 2010, 07:06 PM
Now that I take a look I think it’s the sonus green I’ve got as its green, it was bought a while back. Twin bar pack used one and left the other. I was going to use the used one on my wheels to see if it would shift the bake dust.

I polished the car the last time when I used it, not that I seen Marring ( Don’t really know what to look for) but I take it its marks left.

I’ve used a few pure polishes that are not fillers etc like my Sonus final finish SFX3 by hand but recently went back to AG SRP.

But the car is needing done and my winter sealent on.

Gismo
1st September 2010, 10:24 PM
Actually, the car care forum isn't only dedicated to MINI's :lol: therefore, it should be in there :thumbs up:

GCA3N
1st September 2010, 10:25 PM
Actually, the car care forum isn't only dedicated to MINI's :lol: therefore, it should be in there :thumbs up:

Bloody hell make your mind up folks.:rolleyes::lol:

Stewart
1st September 2010, 11:32 PM
On the plus side, the School run bus is looking well, and brownie points gained.

baptie
2nd September 2010, 10:39 PM
I have tried the Turtle Wax Black Kit, with the your results I think I will treat myself to a clay kit, the black looks great.

The bonnet will always be the worst as it takes the brunt of the stone chips/deed stuff!

GCA3N
2nd September 2010, 10:44 PM
I have tried the Turtle Wax Black Kit, with the your results I think I will treat myself to a clay kit, the black looks great.

The bonnet will always be the worst as it takes the brunt of the stone chips/deed stuff!

Cheers thanks for noticing the results :thumbs up: defo worth a try.

ianking
2nd September 2010, 11:44 PM
I don't know why folk are frightened to clay. As long as you keep it well lubricated and just go gentle and turn/kneed it regularly then you won't cause any marring with a fine grade clay bar. It really makes a difference to the smoothness of a paint prior to the polishing stage. I find it really difficult not to clay a car, even if it's just in at me for a quick valet tidy up as apposed to a detail. Anyone that has done damage to the paintwork in terms of marring or fine scrathes is simply doing it wrong or using too heavy a grade of clay

AndyP & Lenore
3rd September 2010, 12:01 AM
Ian I got a lot of marring with the sonus. But I suspect it was down to what lube I was using. I used to use a stream of water. But for the dodo clay I made up a spray bottle of maxi suds II and water - about 1/10 so pretty concentrated. Lubed really well, allowed the clay to slide without sticking at all and no or hardly any marring. Paintwork smooth as silk too. :D

A. :D

Scottie
3rd September 2010, 07:51 AM
I snow foam my car - rinse - wash - rinse - wash again and use my Auto Balm clay bar at the same time and then rinse no marring and very easy to use for me the auto balm clay bar is very good.

GCA3N
3rd September 2010, 09:01 AM
Ian I got a lot of marring with the sonus. But I suspect it was down to what lube I was using. I used to use a stream of water. But for the dodo clay I made up a spray bottle of maxi suds II and water - about 1/10 so pretty concentrated. Lubed really well, allowed the clay to slide without sticking at all and no or hardly any marring. Paintwork smooth as silk too. :D

A. :D

Andy I was sure a man of your age would know the importance of a good Lubrication.:Whistle:

AndyP & Lenore
3rd September 2010, 09:48 AM
Andy I was sure a man of your age would know the importance of a good Lubrication.:Whistle:
:blush:

A.:laugh: