PDA

View Full Version : Grinding gears!

Flash_Amber
1st September 2010, 11:24 AM
I've had my 07 Mini Cooper for around 2 months now and have noticed that the grind when going from 1st to 2nd but only when the car is cold. it doesn't do it everytime and to be honest at first I thought it was just me changing to quick or not fully depressing the clutch but it did it with hubby driving yesterday so I know its not me! Any ideas? :confused:

GCA3N
1st September 2010, 11:33 AM
Is the car not still under warrant (TLC)?

Flash_Amber
1st September 2010, 11:58 AM
Is the car not still under warrant (TLC)?

Yes it is still under warranty, just wondered if anyone had encountered this before and if there was a simple fix before I take it to the dealer because sods law it wont happen when I take it in!

Craig
1st September 2010, 12:07 PM
Hmmmm.... Thinking back to my trials with my R56S (the wounds !!). I think this was related to the dual mass flywheel and clutch wearing badly....

If you change down from 3rd to 2nd and when lifting your foot off the clutch, does it screech/grind? If so it sounds line that. Be aware tho that if they take your car apart and find these parts are gone they are rarely covered by warranty as they say "wear and tear".

Crombers
1st September 2010, 03:22 PM
Treat it with some TLC :yes nod:

My 'different/better looking' MINI does'ny like 1st to 2nd when cold & I just 'pause' in neutral for a second (when changing up in these 2 gears) until everything heats up & all is well.
Car has been doing this for years & all is still well with 65K on the clock