PDA

View Full Version : MINI Kills Dealer Fit JCW Tuning option

AndyP & Lenore
31st August 2010, 05:08 PM
As Baz linked to in another thread... Motoring File News Article (http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/08/31/mini-kills-jcw-engine-kit/#more-13086)

I tend to think this is an important subject and one Lenore and I feel strongly about - so I've created a new thread for discussion here.

If I get on my soap box and go on and on, you'll all get fed up, so I'm gonna keep my comments on this story pretty short.

We've bought our last MINI.:frown: We've had our R56 since summer 2007 and had the dealer fit tuning kit fitted pretty soon after. If MINI are going to take away OUR only opperchancity to have a "tuned and warranted" MINI, we'll ditch the brand. We were all set to go for a Roadster next year. Looks like that idea will be ditched.:frown:

Very P!ssed.:ragin:

A & L.:frown:

Craig
31st August 2010, 05:15 PM
I do think it is a sad day that Mini have done this but it is all to do with the almighty buck these days and less about what the customer wants or needs. Sad also that you guys aren't going to be in a Mini after a few years as I cannae see you keeping your R56 for years... :frown:

Forbes
31st August 2010, 05:18 PM
Without it sounding silly is there no way you could wait a while longer and go for the JCW roadster when it comes out.

Also they might just be doing it with the current range to wind them down before the next model?

AndyP & Lenore
31st August 2010, 05:26 PM
Without it sounding silly is there no way you could wait a while longer and go for the JCW roadster when it comes out.

Also they might just be doing it with the current range to wind them down before the next model?

We can only go for a JCW Roadster if they create a factory JCW auto, and they keep telling us there is NO plans to do this.:frown::sad:

Scottie
31st August 2010, 06:21 PM
I wouldn't worry to much. I'm not a 100% convinced in this story and if it is correct then I think you will get a auto JCW from factory but may cost you a few ££££ more

AndyP & Lenore
31st August 2010, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't worry to much. I'm not a 100% convinced in this story and if it is correct then I think you will get a auto JCW from factory but may cost you a few ££££ more

Thing is Fi, we've asked a couple of times and each time the story is the same; the factory JCW puts out too much torques for their auto box to handle. Sales of the auto box don't justify the expense of r&d into a new more capable auto box. All BS in my opinion because the torque from the JCW isn't so much more than the tolerance that would have been built into the auto box we have at the moment anyway. All IMHO of course, I'm no expert.

Granted, it's been a year or so since we last asked the question, so I'm away to fire off an email to MINI customer services just now, but I'm not hopeful of an informative answer.

A.

Edit, and I'm more than happy to pay many more £££££'s to get what we want, but being told "No, you can't!" is very frustrating as a loyal customer.

GCA3N
31st August 2010, 06:40 PM
Thing is Fi, we've asked a couple of times and each time the story is the same; the factory JCW puts out too much torques for their auto box to handle. Sales of the auto box don't justify the expense of r&d into a new more capable auto box. All BS in my opinion because the torque from the JCW isn't so much more than the tolerance that would have been built into the auto box we have at the moment anyway. All IMHO of course, I'm no expert.

Granted, it's been a year or so since we last asked the question, so I'm away to fire off an email to MINI customer services just now, but I'm not hopeful of an informative answer.

A.

Would be very sad if this was to push you away from the mini scene Andy. I hope the answer they give can atleast give you hope for the new coupé roadster coming out.

Mon the fish
1st September 2010, 07:08 AM
The roadster may come out as JCW only to start with, but wouldn't surprise me if they filter it down the range, S etc.

BMW did this with the Z4M Coupe - you could then get a non-M Coupe. I'd be surprised if they ignore such a huge market by making it JCW only.

MINI William
1st September 2010, 07:16 AM
Just read on motoringfile that they got it wrong and that the JCW kit will still be available

AndyP & Lenore
1st September 2010, 07:51 AM
Just read on motoringfile that they got it wrong and that the JCW kit will still be available

WTF? Maybe they got into the office early this morning and saw my email and thought... "oh sh!t, we better reverse that decision."

My email did go along the lines of... "reverse this decision immediately or I'll visit you all in the small hours and stick a bat up your nightdress.....":laugh:

Victory for the common man, perhaps?:confused:

A.:D

minimad
1st September 2010, 08:27 AM
WTF? Maybe they got into the office early this morning and saw my email and thought... "oh sh!t, we better reverse that decision."

My email did go along the lines of... "reverse this decision immediately or I'll visit you all in the small hours and stick a bat up your nightdress.....":laugh:

Victory for the common man, perhaps?:confused:

A.:D
i usually use the horses head comment,that always works CAPEESH!! hehehelol.

GCA3N
1st September 2010, 09:15 AM
Nice one andy, that reminds me I need a wage rise could you compose something for me. :lol::laugh:

ELFMAN
1st September 2010, 04:27 PM
Here was me thinking my JCW Upgrade was going to be rare........

AndyP & Lenore
1st September 2010, 06:37 PM
Well the good news is: Motoring file correction (http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/09/01/mf-exclusive-jcw-kit-updated-for-2011-mcs/)

But the bad news is that it looks like we'll need to wait another year for the roadster - Motoring file have it down as Spring 2012 not spring 2011. Roadster article. (http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/09/01/mini-roadster-coupe-to-feature-movable-rear-spoiler/)