PDA

View Full Version : Cooper S Diesel confirmed

Stewart
30th August 2010, 10:15 PM
Cooper S Diesel confirmed

One for the diesel lovers here:

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r468/MoneyPenny_07/diesel-1.jpg

Our friends at Bigblogg have scooped the first technical info of the upcoming BMW diesel that will power the Cooper S D. While we’ve reported (along with a few other outlets) that the engine was coming, this is the first confirmed power figure.
As previously reported engine is the 2.0 turbocharged BMW diesel found in the 1 and 3 series. Bigblogg is reporting that the car will have 143PS or 141 hp. But what about pulling power? How about 200 ft lbs of torque? Again that’s what Bigblogg is reporting.

We expect the car to be released next spring in Euro markets

Just seen this on NorthernMini......................

GCA3N
30th August 2010, 10:39 PM
Very interesting be keen to know the performance figures for this ie MPG and 0-60.

Stewart
30th August 2010, 10:48 PM
It must be a difficult one for BMW.

If you match the speed and gain a good percentage on the MPG it could kill off the Petrol S engine. If it means more power over the standard Diesel and you get similar MPG then apart from Tax and insurance why would you not want that extra bit of power, I know I would and I’m captain slow.

My only experience of the Diesel is that I took a Clubman D out down at Irvine and thought it sounded fine on the move over the petrol. That and a friend up in EK that does silly mileages for work and he finds he gets 60+ no matter how he drives and got it to 72MPG on a trip down south on his Cooper D.

GCA3N
30th August 2010, 10:56 PM
I had a cooper D for a courtesy car and I loved It plus I bobbed about all day and got over 60mpg in it with out trying, sounds nice especially as I am on high 20's, 31mpg tops now.

Stewart
30th August 2010, 11:06 PM
MINI Cooper SD.
The high-end diesel will be available in Summer 2011 and will be powered by a new engine producing 143 horsepower, a significant improvement of the Cooper D model and its 112 horsepower. Torque number is rumored to be around 300Nm.
The 1.6 liter turbodiesel is developed by BMW (http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/08/28/rumor-mini-cooper-sd-to-be-available-in-summer-2011/##), replacing the powerunits built by PSA. A variant of this engine will debut this Fall in the refreshed MINI lineup and the new MINI Countryman.
Along with improved fuel economy numbers, the new engine will give the MINI Cooper SD the performance and dynamics craved by MINI owners and fans. The engine is said to be matted to a six-speed automatic and manual transmission.

The Mini Cooper S Diesel will output 300 Nm of torque which will be available from 1.750 rpm to 2.500 rpm. The new version of the model is expected to offer a fuel economy between 4 liters and 4.5 liter per 100 km. The CO2 emissions level of the Mini Cooper S Diesel is expected to fall in the 110 g/km category.

The new version of the popular model is expected to debut at the Paris Auto Show next month and will probably go on sale early in 2011.

GCA3N
30th August 2010, 11:19 PM
Sounds like a good compromise.

MrMischief
31st August 2010, 12:16 AM
TBH I'm disappointed it's only the 143hp diesel variant they're putting in it - most of the competition has power/torque way over that for their "hot" oil burning hatches...including the 163hp (205hp after the remap :smilewinkgrin:) Ibiza I had waaaay back in 2005.