PDA

View Full Version : Lens Question

N16SHP
30th August 2010, 01:30 PM
Afternoon All!

Well I was speaking to Andy P about going to the Leuchars airshow in a couple of weeks, and was looking for some advice about shooting. He said, like I thought was the case, i'd see better results with a better lens. So any reviews or advice on a new lens. I'd say top budget of about £200 which I know also narrows down what I can get. I've got a Canon EOS 500D.

Thanks in advance!

AndyP & Lenore
30th August 2010, 01:35 PM
It's a wee bit beyond your budget but this lens from Canon (http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/EF_Lenses/Image_Stabilization_Lenses/EF-S_55-250mm_f_4-5_6_IS/) is an excellent buy. Canon's RRP is £330 but you'll find it cheaper than that if you shop around.

I used it for the first year of doing the motorsport photo's.

A.

Edit: In fact Clumet have it at £220!:thumbs up:

N16SHP
30th August 2010, 01:50 PM
I think John Lewis have it for £219, which is not bad!!

N16SHP
30th August 2010, 01:57 PM
Also forgot to say, does a lens hood make a huge difference, especially if the weather is not great, and are they relatively universal or does it depend on the lens. I've had a squint online and seen you get heeps for canon lens alone....**lost**

Stewart
30th August 2010, 09:51 PM
Leuchars airshow I was just looking the other night at that, I've never been and they have park and ride etc.

I fancy a DLSR in a few years, hope you find the right deal and get some pic's up if you go to the show. I'm a sucker for vintage WWII or some of the Cold war stuff.

rpn
31st August 2010, 12:53 PM
Also forgot to say, does a lens hood make a huge difference, especially if the weather is not great, and are they relatively universal or does it depend on the lens. I've had a squint online and seen you get heeps for canon lens alone....**lost**

A lot of Pros and Pro-Am photographers use lens hood as protection for the lens front element rather that a filter and also cutting out flare when shooting into the sun at an angle.

Each lens should have their own hood designed for that lens' barrel.

Crombers
31st August 2010, 03:52 PM
Leuchars airshow I was just looking the other night at that, I've never been and they have park and ride etc.

I fancy a DLSR in a few years, hope you find the right deal and get some pic's up if you go to the show. I'm a sucker for vintage WWII or some of the Cold war stuff.

I took my da last year (first for many a year) & you can park in the airfield itself. Try to get there as early as possible to avoid the mayhem and be prepared for queues at the end. Yeah they do park & ride also but the buses are stuck in the traffic anyhoo.

MrMischief
7th September 2010, 11:44 AM
Your best bet is to get the train to Leuchars...park in Dundee FOC if you select the correct area, then it's only a short walk from Leuchars station to the airfield. :thumbs up:

MiniSnaps
14th September 2010, 03:59 AM
I think John Lewis have it for £219, which is not bad!!

Nearly 50 quid less here though (http://www.camerapricebuster.com/Canon_EF-S_55-250mm_f4-5.6_IS_pc.html)

N16SHP
15th September 2010, 09:22 AM
Nearly 50 quid less here though (http://www.camerapricebuster.com/Canon_EF-S_55-250mm_f4-5.6_IS_pc.html)

Cheers mate! Good site!