PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger Pulley

Ayrshire09
22nd August 2010, 07:47 PM
Hey people thinking of getting a 15% or 17% reduction pullley for my cooper s but was wondering if its worth it, is there a massive noticable difference in acceleration and feeling of power without remapping it aswell? Also anyone in or near troon got a pulley removing tool they wouldnt mind giving me a wee lend of to do it?

cheers, Fraser.

AndyP & Lenore
22nd August 2010, 08:01 PM
I think it's pretty well agreed the single biggest difference you can make to a Supercharger engine is to fit a reduced pulley. Obviously a remap, air filter, exhaust system etc., etc makes a difference too, but the reduced supercharger pulley alone will make an immediate and noticeable improvement.:thumbs up:

A.:D

Mon the fish
22nd August 2010, 09:35 PM
Don't bother with the 17% IMO, creates too much heat. To tune your S, I would do it in this order:

- GRS or GP intercooler - do this before the pulley, as a faster-spinning pulley makes more heat, and the stock intercooler isn't great anyway.
- dave.f or JCW airbox with ITG - massive cost effective improvement
- 15% pulley
- cat back exhaust
- manifold
- bigger injectors (JCW ones are cost effective)

And after that, a cam. I would only remap it once you've done the cam, as the stock map over-fuels the car anyway. Wait until you've done all the mods you want, then remap it for that setup.

Ayrshire09
22nd August 2010, 10:17 PM
Cheers for the replies ppl, was gonna try an hold of getting an new intercooler pretty much because I can't afford it at the mo tbh, think it would be a problem not to change it? How much bhp realistically will a 15% pulley add to a r53 cooper s? Does fitting smaller pulley bring mpg down that much?

Cheers, Fraser.

Gismo
22nd August 2010, 10:32 PM
I think the optimistic BHP increase is in the region of 40BHP, but, in reality it's probably around the 35BHP.
When i had mine done in my first S i felt i got slightly better mileage due to the remap as well that made teh engine more efficient :thumbs up:

Ayrshire09
22nd August 2010, 10:38 PM
Was the 35 bhp just from a 15% pulley on it's own,no other mods? How much does a jcw airbox go for normally? Sorry for all the questions just wanna be thorough.

Cheers, Fraser.

RyanK
22nd August 2010, 11:30 PM
Definitely get yourself a pulley, had a 15% on the last black car and was blown away at how much stronger the car pulled. Also gives you a louder supercharger whine ;). Don't buy an Alta Pulley though imo, get yourself a Kavs Motorsport (KMT) one mate. PM me if you need the details for the company as I can get you one for £60 delivered, I got mine for £50 but there was a slight price increase earlier this year. Ambroz the owner is a legend

All Pulleys will wear your supercharger down faster and I would probably just go for the 15% as Gordon says. 16% could be good banter too though. I'd also opt for everything Gordon says, all those will work together best. Probably looking at around £500 for everything besides Mani and catback

Ambroz from KMT's car

BH-2ay7zDew

Stewart
23rd August 2010, 12:21 AM
Feck what speed was that...Does sound great all the same.

P33 ULC
23rd August 2010, 12:38 AM
I had a 15% pulley and Alta CAI on my cooper s. I used to drive about killie in it, that was about 4 years ago though. It was a quick wee car! Sounds awesome. I bought all the tools and fitted the pulley myself!

Mon the fish
23rd August 2010, 07:35 AM
The pulley will give the biggest bang for buck, but with the heat generated, I would recommend the CAI and intercooler first.

Remember BMW gave the GP a bigger intercooler, and that's running an 11% pulley.

Ayrshire09
23rd August 2010, 07:58 AM
Great help guys gonna take you up on that offer I think Ryan, will probz only be running it for a while without uprated intercooler, hopefully see a decent second hand one on here. How much will I pick up a decent intake for youz think?
Would be nice if it was quicker than ma Mates remapped Fabia vrs lol thinks it's running about 190bhp,pity it sounds like a taxi.

Cheers, Fraser.

GCA3N
23rd August 2010, 10:02 AM
Hey ryan sounds amazing. love that supercharger whine. However am I being an old fart by saying is it wise showing a car going 130mph on a forum, obviously unless it was from that visit you had to Germany a while back ;):rolleyes::lol:

P33 ULC
25th August 2010, 08:50 PM
Would be nice if it was quicker than ma Mates remapped Fabia vrs lol thinks it's running about 190bhp,pity it sounds like a taxi.

Cheers, Fraser.

I sold my Cooper S and bought an Ibiza FR TDi. Same engine as vRS. I got it remapped and I think they're all roughly about 180bhp after remap, even with PD160 intake.

Trust me, the Cooper S will be faster! A remapped PD130 is as fast to 100 as a Civic Type R, and your Cooper S will be faster than a type r after your pulley :D

Ayrshire09
25th August 2010, 09:01 PM
Nice one here's hoping, just gotta bite the bullet and get maself an intercooler.

RyanK
25th August 2010, 09:34 PM
Hey ryan sounds amazing. love that supercharger whine. However am I being an old fart by saying is it wise showing a car going 130mph on a forum, obviously unless it was from that visit you had to Germany a while back ;):rolleyes::lol:

Haha greig that wasn't my car ;)

It's a guy off of Mini Torque down south

GCA3N
25th August 2010, 10:27 PM
Haha greig that wasn't my car ;)

It's a guy off of Mini Torque down south

It's ok Ryan I am pullin yer chain mate. ;)