PDA

View Full Version : International calls and texts on iphone?

joec73
22nd August 2010, 07:19 PM
Hi all , looking for some advise regarding keeping in touch with friends in other parts of the world with my iphone.
Does anyone use any good apps for this ?
Looking to make calls but mainly texts, we are using facebook at the moment but was looking for something that my pals can use as they travel and dont always have wifi so they dont get hit with roaming charges.
We are all using iphones if this make it and easier.

Oh and it has to be FREE:yes nod:

Thanks .
B

AndyP & Lenore
22nd August 2010, 07:33 PM
I don't think "free" and roaming, texting, calling etc while abroad appear in the same sentence.

When I'm back from USA even when I hardly use my phone for calling, with roaming turned off for 95% of the trip, but used for texting a few texts a day, my bill is usually another £40 to £50. And that's just over a week usually.

I just can't think of a cheap or free way for you to do it.:frown:

A.

GCA3N
22nd August 2010, 07:49 PM
Pingchat allows free txt between iPhones. It's free to buy free to use and u can do it anywhere in the world. Only thing u need is 3G or wifi.

AndyP & Lenore
22nd August 2010, 07:57 PM
Pingchat allows free txt between iPhones. It's free to buy free to use and u can do it anywhere in the world. Only thing u need is 3G or wifi.

Greig, if it requires 3G and it's abroad, does that not mean it would involve data roaming? Can't get cheaper than free wifi though.:thumbs up:

A.:D

GCA3N
22nd August 2010, 08:32 PM
Greig, if it requires 3G and it's abroad, does that not mean it would involve data roaming? Can't get cheaper than free wifi though.:thumbs up:

A.:D

I checked on the app store Andy and it says abroad on 3G or wifi, have a look on the app store and see what you think.

joec73
22nd August 2010, 10:11 PM
Thanks folks will look at ping one

Doug_m
22nd August 2010, 11:15 PM
Also try whatsapp. It also needs signal or wifi but is free other wise :)

The Dogfather
23rd August 2010, 06:32 AM
As Alan says if it uses 3G or needs a signal then its using data, data whilst roaming is very expensive (depending on the country). WiFi however is free.

joec73
23rd August 2010, 07:34 AM
Roaming seems to be the problem then. May just have to live with facebook as that is what we use this now when they can get WiFi. If anyone has any other suggestions I would be delighted to try them :)

AndyP & Lenore
23rd August 2010, 10:21 AM
Roaming seems to be the problem then. May just have to live with facebook as that is what we use this now when they can get WiFi. If anyone has any other suggestions I would be delighted to try them :)

I think most service providers will offer a roaming data bundle, so you can buy a discounted set amount of roaming. I did that once with O2. It helps with the cost but it's only a marginal saving.

A.

john
23rd August 2010, 12:00 PM
If your on wifi then skype works well on the iPhone