PDA

View Full Version : Jcw r53 - MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Sheilz
21st August 2010, 09:24 AM
Does anyone know of any on the market just now? And most importantly what to be wary of or on the look out for when buying a used one. Thanks any advice welcome

GCA3N
21st August 2010, 09:39 AM
How old and what do you want to spend. Remember Mr and Mrs Poole might have one up for sale soon.:drool:

AndyP & Lenore
21st August 2010, 09:40 AM
Does anyone know of any on the market just now? And most importantly what to be wary of or on the look out for when buying a used one. Thanks any advice welcome.

Sheilz,

We are selling our red one, but it is an auto so may not be what you are looking for.

Let us know if you are interested.:thumbs up:

A&L

Livi
21st August 2010, 09:50 AM
Mines is up for sale

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?20745-Black-R53-Cooper-S-2005-(54-plate)-**High-Spec**.

Sheilz
21st August 2010, 09:57 AM
OMG would I just love to get my mitts on your mini - but its for Darren and have just checked with him and he's looking for a manual. That's such a shame (says she drooling at the prospect of persuading him to give me a shottie LOL)

AndyP & Lenore
21st August 2010, 10:00 AM
OMG would I just love to get my mitts on your mini - but its for Darren and have just checked with him and he's looking for a manual. That's such a shame (says she drooling at the prospect of persuading him to give me a shottie LOL)

Well, you know where we live.:thumbs up::smilewinkgrin:

Remember it has the flappy paddles on the steering wheel.:thumbs up:

It would be nice to see it go to someone who would look after it.:thumbs up:

A&L

Craig
21st August 2010, 10:05 AM
Tony Jac's motor is for sale ;)

Sheilz
21st August 2010, 10:16 AM
Andy/Lenore - tried to sell your flappy paddles but at the mo he's looking for a manual. He did like your car though. Would make a nice little bro for Dougall.

David - Darren is going to contact you about your car. He's at work just now but is signed into the site under my name, has looked at the car and likes what he's seen, though I'm bearing in mind that his search is for a JCW. Who knows eh?!

If David's car isn't 'the one' what should he be on the look out for as a warning to avoid any particular car.

Forbes
21st August 2010, 10:20 AM
He can always have a go of mine Sheilz, as long as he is gentle

AndyP & Lenore
21st August 2010, 10:25 AM
Andy/Lenore - tried to sell your flappy paddles but at the mo he's looking for a manual. He did like your car though. Would make a nice little bro for Dougall.

Sheilz, remind him that you can change gear faster in the DSG gearbox in the MINI than you can in a manual.:thumbs up:

If he really likes the look of our car, it would seem premature to rule it out without trying it.

PM me if you want more details, and remember... looking costs nothing.:thumbs up:

A.:D

GCA3N
21st August 2010, 10:29 AM
I would compromise flappy paddles every day of the week to get Andy and Lenore's R53. Besides I think unless you've driven one who knows he might like it:yes nod:

It is supposed to one of he best ones too.

sheilz as far as advice on looking where can you start, it's a mini and you know that sometimes they come with baggage. Even if you buy a good one from someone you know there is always a risk. Best rule of thumb I can think is buy as new as you can afford with the least amount of miles. You might even pick up a later R53 still with a little TLC (ie early 2006 one)

Doug_m
21st August 2010, 11:30 AM
He can always have a go of mine Sheilz, as long as he is gentle

Aww widdle steve not like a good thrashing... :sad:

Mon the fish
22nd August 2010, 12:16 PM
Nothing particular about the JCW to watch out for than any other R53. Timing chain tensioner, power steering pump, strut-tower mushrooming, can't think of anything else off the top of my head right now

Scottie
24th August 2010, 09:32 PM
have you seen this car for sale over on nothernmini
http://forums.northernmini.co.uk/showthread.php?4474-cooper-s-works-for-sale&p=107416#post107416

Sheilz
30th August 2010, 08:49 PM
Hi guys first of all thank you all for the taking the time to reply. Darren is still looking around and keen on a jcw though someone had advised him to go the S modded to jcw route. However he has been told by his Mrs that he needs to sell his Masda 6 first. Anyone interested in one of these? Its the mega fast model with the turbo. 54 plate.

stoney
30th August 2010, 10:27 PM
well i have to say if he is going to mod it power wise then he is better off with a standard s :thumbs up:

Mon the fish
31st August 2010, 08:28 AM
The JCW gives you a better base to mod from than a standard S , especially second-hand where you aren't paying the £3.5k premium a new one was. JCW airbox (once you've ITG and de-flapped it), JCW injectors, 11% pulley, and JCW exhaust (one you've de-res'd it and removed the flat section in front of the split) are all mods you'd do to an S, so it saves you the hassle. And you can change the pulley etc later, once you've done the intercooler etc.

You'd have to replace all these on a normal S, and at least JCW keeps the OEM look. Just leaves the usual intercooler, manifold etc to do.

Sheilz
4th September 2010, 12:02 PM
Update re: hunt for Darren's mini. He drooled over Andy and Lenore's one and the one on Northernmini, but these are over his budget. He's been in touch with someone about a possible part exchange through a dealer but the dealer took the piss with his offer on Darren's car. Another buyer has come forward for his Mazda 6mps with double the offer from the garage so now he has his eye on a chilli red S from the central belt which is advertised on pistonheads. http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2015171.htm
Sorry not sure how to put the link up properly.
Said to Darren I'd ask around here if anyone knows this car or anything about it.

Thanks guys and Andy I am sooooooooo disappointed that your one is out of budget - LOL wouldn't be sitting on 20K miles for long if I got my mitts on it!!

GCA3N
4th September 2010, 07:06 PM
Update re: hunt for Darren's mini. He drooled over Andy and Lenore's one and the one on Northernmini, but these are over his budget. He's been in touch with someone about a possible part exchange through a dealer but the dealer took the piss with his offer on Darren's car. Another buyer has come forward for his Mazda 6mps with double the offer from the garage so now he has his eye on a chilli red S from the central belt which is advertised on pistonheads. http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2015171.htm
Said to Darren I'd ask around here if anyone knows this car or anything about it.

Thanks guys and Andy I am sooooooooo disappointed that your one is out of budget - LOL wouldn't be sitting on 20K miles for long if I got my mitts on it!!

That's really nice, oh and the best colour too.:yes nod:

stoney
4th September 2010, 08:16 PM

this is just a standard s i thinlk !!!!!! cos if you have a look at tis photo
http://www.pureperformancecars.com/gallery/cooper/source/dsc01546.html

there is no works badge and also no works badge on the air box it just has the areo kit fitted

AndyP & Lenore
4th September 2010, 09:34 PM
this is just a standard s i thinlk !!!!!! cos if you have a look at tis photo
http://www.pureperformancecars.com/gallery/cooper/source/dsc01546.html

there is no works badge and also no works badge on the air box it just has the areo kit fitted

Good spot Rob:thumbs up:. Standard S exhaust tips too.:yes nod:

A.

Sheilz
4th September 2010, 11:32 PM
Yep, its just the aero kit but knowing Darren IF he gets it, wont be standard for long. Can't help himself!

Alex from NM
5th September 2010, 10:12 PM
Not that its worth much but I can vouch for Jim's (Wallace on Northern MINI) that its immaculate and a genuine JCW from factory. I think he would be open to offers too.

Sheilz
8th September 2010, 09:49 PM
Darren took ownership of his S tonight. Need I say he can't get away from behind the wheel long enough to take pics never mind put any up here. The grin stretched from ear to ear - sound familiar?

GCA3N
8th September 2010, 09:51 PM
Darren took ownership of his S tonight. Need I say he can't get away from behind the wheel long enough to take pics never mind put any up here. The grin stretched from ear to ear - sound familiar?

Fantastic nice one look forward to the pics when he can tear himself away from it :lol:

Sheilz
8th September 2010, 09:58 PM
Its not the one I asked if anyone knew anything about. This one was for sale in Aberdeen. One of his friends' girlfriend. Its in mint condition. Only got one tiny stonechip on the bonnet - puts Dougall to shame. Its gunmetal grey with sunroof, alacantra leather, pretty well laden with toys. He really wanted a jcw but a new enough one would've cost more than he was prepared to pay. A house in midst of major renovations put paid to that one. Nevertheless he's delighted with it. Was over tonight helping him wash it before he disappeared in a cloud of dust :smilewinkgrin: