PDA

View Full Version : iPad Mini or Nano maybe...

AndyP & Lenore
18th August 2010, 09:25 PM
Gaj, no doubt you'll know if this is for sure or more likely t'internet rumourmongering.

Sky News link (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Technology/Apple-iPad-Mini-Claims-Seven-Inch-Version-Of-Tablet-Gadget-Will-Be-Launched-In-Time-For-Christmas/Article/201008315695129?lid=ARTICLE_15695129_AppleiPadMini :ClaimsSeven-InchVersionOfTabletGadgetWillBeLaunchedInTimeForCh ristmas&lpos=searchresults)

A.:confused:

GCA3N
18th August 2010, 09:30 PM
I heard rumours of this too andy. Cannot see the point if i'm honest.

Bazthemod
18th August 2010, 09:49 PM
Expect this to be more about the refresh of the ipod touch. New iPod range due for release next month. We expect iPad to be a Christmas best seller, we still can't keep up with demand.

Gismo
18th August 2010, 09:50 PM
I love the Apple products, but, just dont get the iPad at all, you simply cannot create documents or spreadsheets, but, for what it can do is very impressive, hoiwever, i need to be abke to make word documents and excel spreadhseets so in me they lost a customer.

Add into that the lack of flash and i'm amazed they sold as many iPads as they did

GCA3N
18th August 2010, 09:53 PM
I love the Apple products, but, just dont get the iPad at all, you simply cannot create documents or spreadsheets, but, for what it can do is very impressive, hoiwever, i need to be ablke to make word documents and excel spreadhseets so in me they lost ma customer.

Add into that the lack of flash and i'm amazed they sold as many iPads as they did

Have to agree Alan. We have a lad offshore who has one and he says the same. What's worse is without wifi he said the ipad is almost useless.

AndyP & Lenore
18th August 2010, 10:41 PM
I kinda agree with everything everyone here has said.

When Lenore told me she'd seen the news about the mini iPad I just held up my iPod Touch and said... "erm......":confused:

I really fancy an iPad and I've played around with them in the shops and they are ultra cool. I've spent the entire evening on the couch watching the Andy Murray match with the laptop on my knee surfing away at the same time. And as much as the laptop is terrific, it's heavy, it get's bloody hot and I do get fed up of heaving it on and off my knee each time I need to get up for a drink/pee/sandwich etc. An iPad will be much less hassle and does (almost) everything I need one to do; surf. That said, last year the ATP decided to redesign their site making extensive use of flash.:frown: It's now almost impossible to navigate on an iPhone so will be just the same but bigger on an iPad.

I've no real need to create word or excel documents at home, but I guess it would be handy if I was able to.

I really just want a nice bit of kit that's tablet sized with a good touch screen and zip fast and is really just for surfing with. The iPad fits the bill, even if it is very very expensive. Not sure I'd be bothered about a smaller version though. Like I said, I still have the touch for that.

A.

euan
22nd August 2010, 09:42 AM
I'm planning on getting one of the new iPod Touch for the missus when it comes out.

I've got a Sonos system now, so at the moment it can only be controlled by my iPhone or a laptop, so this will be ideal. Any news on capacity or pricing?

Gismo
22nd August 2010, 10:09 AM
I've got a Sonos system now, so at the moment it can only be controlled by my iPhone or a laptop, so this will be ideal. Any news on capacity or pricing?Any reason you didn't buy a dedicated Sonos handset? was it due to price? i much prefer the handset to the iPhone

euan
22nd August 2010, 10:08 PM
Any reason you didn't buy a dedicated Sonos handset? was it due to price? i much prefer the handset to the iPhone

I think partly price, but I decided I'd try the iPhone interface and see how i got on. As it stands, I think I'd struggle to justify the price for a stand-alone controller when the iPhone is fast, gives you pretty much the same control and can be used for other things.

In saying that, everyone who has the controller swears blind it's much better than the iPhone interface, so maybe if I can pick one up cheaper than list (tricky with Sonos!) I'll do it. I've got some more zones to add first though!

GAJ
26th August 2010, 11:25 AM
Just read this now. Can't imagine that that story is right; doesn't seem to make any sense. I'd be tempted to agree with Baz. Daring Fireball, who generally have as good an idea as anybody say -
I expect a new iPhone 4-caliber iPod Touch (retina display, dual FaceTime-ready cameras), new iTunes TV show rentals, and a new iOS-based Apple TV. The wildcard is whether there’s going to be an App Store for the Apple TV.
Update: Readers are asking about iOS 4.1. I expect that, too, along with the official debut of Game Center, which is part of 4.1 and will help reinforce the image of the iPod Touch as a mobile gaming device (and the App Store as a gaming platform) going into the holidays. Look for a bunch of Game Center demos during the event.
As for the iPad, no, I don’t think 4.1 is going to be released for it. iOS 4.2, coming late in the calendar year, is a more likely unification release for all iOS devices. Think about it — how can Apple release iOS 4.1 for the iPad next week if they haven’t released a single beta for developers?

Meant to say - announcement is 1 September.

Bazthemod
26th August 2010, 03:46 PM
Stock allocation for current range iPods getting turned off in next few days ;)

N16SHP
26th August 2010, 06:44 PM
I know this has nothing to do with the thread really, but I wish apple would stop launching new products weekly. I got an email today saying "New Mac" had a look, turns out its a software update...jeez. Now as most of you know, I have been a big Apple lover for the best part of about 10 years, and a'l also throw this one in the mix too. My favourite iPod still, without question, I still have it, its battery is poor now, but still works and has outlasted my Mini and Nano is this:
http://modmyi.com/forums/attachments/iphone-news/400771d1259528352-iclassic-ipod-classic-player-iphone-ipod-touch-3rdgenipod.png

GCA3N
26th August 2010, 06:53 PM
I know this has nothing to do with the thread really, but I wish apple would stop launching new products weekly. I got an email today saying "New Mac" had a look, turns out its a software update...jeez. Now as most of you know, I have been a big Apple lover for the best part of about 10 years, and a'l also throw this one in the mix too. My favourite iPod still, without question, I still have it, its battery is poor now, but still works and has outlasted my Mini and Nano is this:
http://modmyi.com/forums/attachments/iphone-news/400771d1259528352-iclassic-ipod-classic-player-iphone-ipod-touch-3rdgenipod.png

Cool ipod mate.

N16SHP
27th August 2010, 05:36 PM
I actually had a 2nd gen before that, but I couldn't get it working properly so returned it and bought something else until this came out!