PDA

View Full Version : Varifocals

Scottie
18th August 2010, 07:53 PM
Can I just say it really annoys me the price of glasses these days and varifocals in particular. :argh::argh::argh:

My eyes are tested every 12 months now and today got my eyes tested prescription has went up a good bit since Feb 2009.

I mean £400 to £500 for glasses :sad::sad::sad: vision express, however went past specsavers and I can get their top of range ones two sets for £284.

I know I could keep my current frames but if I'm getting new glasses then I kinda want new frames

Anyone use specsavers or recommend any other high street opticians...

KenL
18th August 2010, 08:49 PM
I have had specs once from Specsavers and was not happy with them. They messed up my prescription and when that was sorted I was still not very happy with them.

I now get my specs from Optical Express. I have had a 1/3 off just by asking for a discount and not taking a second pair. There is a BIG mark up in frames & lenses!

Gismo
18th August 2010, 08:58 PM
Fi, might not be of any use for you, but, i got my eyes lasered last year and reckoned on a 10 year deal of having to pay for specs every 2 years, my cost was £1500 for 20/20 vision.
I expect to save money over the term, so, may be a worthwhile option given you are a multi millionaire :Whistle:

GCA3N
18th August 2010, 09:00 PM
Tried to post here but apparently you have to be over 50 :Whistle:

Sheilz
18th August 2010, 11:26 PM
Daughter in law is an optician and is quite vocal in opposition to laser treatment. Is also critical of the quality of work from the cheaper outlets as already mentioned. Place to avoid are those that don't have NHS agreement for the full range of eyetests. This would be particularly relevant for anyone with diabetes who of course would have to be screened for glaucoma. Agree glasses are very expensive. I'm luck to get mine half price as son is also manager of an optical workshop since the cost of mine hits four figures due to complex lenses. Alternative would be a white stick. Its not something I'd scrimp on though and would never consider anything other than a reputable optician. But each to their own.