PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done the R56 Channel reverse?

Bazthemod
16th August 2010, 07:58 PM
Seen a post about this on TOTALMINI and thought I would give this a shot. Basically as we all know the R56 stereo is pretty poor and can't really punch any bass out.

This mod reverses the front and rear speakers so the bass signal goes to the back speakers as it should have in the first place!

The result - the larger rear speakers now handle the bass instead of the fronts. System sounds much crisper now and finally has some depth to it.

Takes about 45mins to do but totally worth it... best of all its free! :thumbs up:

Delboy
16th August 2010, 08:04 PM
I like the sound of that (no pun intended :rolleyes:).

Once you've done it, a pictorial idiot's guide would be appreciated :smilewinkgrin:.

GCA3N
16th August 2010, 08:13 PM
Seen a post about this on TOTALMINI and thought I would give this a shot. Basically as we all know the R56 stereo is pretty poor and can't really punch any bass out.

This mod reverses the front and rear speakers so the bass signal goes to the back speakers as it should have in the first place!

The result - the larger rear speakers now handle the bass instead of the fronts. System sounds much crisper now and finally has some depth to it.

Takes about 45mins to do but totally worth it... best of all its free! :thumbs up:

I like the sound of that (no pun intended :rolleyes:).

Once you've done it, a pictorial idiot's guide would be appreciated :smilewinkgrin:.

Sounds great :blush:

Defo a guide baz would be good mate.

ianking
16th August 2010, 08:34 PM
You cant do it if you have the hi fi upgrade though and remember if the car has bluetooth then the phone call will be broadcast out the rear speakers as apposed to the fronts.

mikeythemini
16th August 2010, 08:50 PM
There are 4 ways of approaching this mod;
1. Cut the wires, & join front to rear, rear to front.
2. Remove the pins & swap their positions - take care that they still lock into the holder
3. buy a plug, socket & set of pins & sockets & take a channel swap lead so you can just plug into the factory loom without modding it - I sell the pins etc - http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop.php?action=productshow&id=771
4. Buy a ready made channel swap loom (All pins soldered) then you can have the job done in under 5 mins - http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop.php?action=productshow&id=745

Delboy
18th August 2010, 02:09 PM
4. Buy a ready made channel swap loom (All pins soldered) then you can have the job done in under 5 mins - http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop.php?action=productshow&id=745

Mike,

What is involved with this "5 mins job"? Specifically, can you access the necessary wiring and plugs without removing half the dashboard or door trims, etc.?

And is the increase in bass really worth the expense and effort?

Thanks,
Del

mikeythemini
18th August 2010, 05:20 PM
diy channel swap guide http://www.newministuff.com/new/index.php?section=13&diyid=21

Delboy
18th August 2010, 06:52 PM
diy channel swap guide http://www.newministuff.com/new/index.php?section=13&diyid=21

Great Mike - that's brill :thumbs up:.

Bazthemod
18th August 2010, 09:19 PM
Def worth it... had tunes pumping today going into work :)

GCA3N
18th August 2010, 09:31 PM
Def worth it... had tunes pumping today going into work :)

did u buy the adaptor baz or do it yourself?

Bazthemod
18th August 2010, 09:46 PM
Did it myself you just push the pins out and swap them - theres a guide on Totalmini, MINI2 and NAM

GCA3N
18th August 2010, 09:48 PM
Yeh cheers baz.:thumbs up:

Stewart
18th August 2010, 09:56 PM
This might be good, as I’ve always had the base turned down to negative as I always felt the front just “Farted” excuse the description. But my best friend is one of the top Marine electricians in the UK and he laughed at the £45 for a as he put it for a washers cost plug. Unless I'm missing somthing.

If it was £2-5 I’d be tempted.

Gismo
18th August 2010, 09:59 PM
he laughed at the £45 for a as he put it for a washers cost plug:Whistle: nae idea what that is all about

Delboy
18th August 2010, 11:51 PM
Thanks Baz :thumbs up:.

mikeythemini
19th August 2010, 08:28 AM
If you can buy the plug, socket & all the pins for £2 I will buy 100 off you

Bazthemod
19th August 2010, 01:41 PM
Aye it's not a normal plug it's BMW part hence mikes price. If ur not confident at diy, mikes route is a good option!

GCA3N
20th August 2010, 06:45 AM
Aye it's not a normal plug it's BMW part hence mikes price.

That would explain it. The plug also insures u can return it back to normal easily. Might get one of these myself.

Delboy
20th August 2010, 07:38 PM
I just did the channel reverse :clap:. Now I've got bass :cool:.

Well done to Baz - this must get the Top Free Mod Award :thumbs up:.

GCA3N
20th August 2010, 09:00 PM
I just did the channel reverse :clap:. Now I've got bass :cool:.

Well done to Baz - this must get the Top Free Mod Award :thumbs up:.

How did u find it del can u pm me the link from the site u used.

GCA3N
24th August 2010, 08:55 PM
I was a tad cynical when I read this but sun was out today and I though what the heck I'll give it a bash. Well if anyone is toying on doing this then DO IT. WOW what a difference no way did I think it would improve it this much. Thanks Del and Baz. :thumbs up:

Bazthemod
24th August 2010, 09:58 PM
Glad your enjoying the difference!

GCA3N
24th August 2010, 10:06 PM
Glad your enjoying the difference!

Now why don't BMW do that from the start?

Delboy
24th August 2010, 10:15 PM
I was a tad cynical when I read this but sun was out today and I though what the heck I'll give it a bash. Well if anyone is toying on doing this then DO IT. WOW what a difference no way did I think it would improve it this much. Thanks Del and Baz. :thumbs up:

Glad you got it done ok and are happy with the difference :thumbs up:.

I think it's ace too :yes nod:.

Forbes
25th August 2010, 12:31 AM
Now why don't BMW do that from the start?
How many times could we say that?

GCA3N
25th August 2010, 08:15 AM
How many times could we say that?

Very good point Ben, I mean that could get a thread start I think.

craigib76
7th October 2010, 04:42 PM
guys can you still do this mod if you have an after market h/u fitted??

Craig
7th October 2010, 04:49 PM
Craig,

yours is an R50, so this doesn't refer to your model of car... ;) If you have an after market head unit, then your already better off as the MINI head units are p!sh... :lol:

C

craigib76
7th October 2010, 06:05 PM
sorry didnt see that it was model specific doh!!!! thought they would have all been the same for h/u wiring obv not lmao

still learning about the r number stuff might take a while lol

Stewart
7th October 2010, 06:18 PM
I see a good few got this done in Liverpool and raved about the difference, if its one thing I like is my Music in the car and right now it can’t take the base at all. I see it’s a quick install if your using Mikes cable swap ( Yes I know it dear as but as he’s said its not his fault its typical BMW parts)

I was not going to bother but if I put new Tyres on in a few weeks I’ll be keeping the car another year. If I had been down south there I'd have got it done. If its one thing the Liverpool Show did have that was great was Members helping Members Mod there cars and in the dry.....:thumbs up:

The Dogfather
7th October 2010, 06:53 PM
Some people are easily pleased when it comes to music in the car, channel swap or not the standard, HiFi and new HK units are pish.

It has to be aftermarket every time IMO.

Stewart
7th October 2010, 09:07 PM
Not doubting that, I’ve always been a bit disappointed with the mini set up but if it means its less pish by any measure then it’s a result in my book without the expensive Audio install.

My friend had a £1600 Audio install in his Renault 5 GT Turbo with Custom parts all trimmed with Sub, Amps, base tubes tweeters you name it and imported head unit. You could hear him a mile off but it was a work of art with a split charging system. He was extremely into car fidelity in the early 90's

To me it was very simple his was incredibly detailed and loud but it all came it at a cost too far. My Clarion at the time played MC Hammer well enough for me. It was a happy compromise to the radio shack or something that was originally in my Ax. A very small difference but well worth it.

Hammer time! :smilewinkgrin:

The Dogfather
7th October 2010, 09:37 PM
My install in the MINI is probably at the same level as your friends in today's money, I'm obsessive about audio though.

Mine's about quality rather than volume, the weakest link is the car panels, they vibrate despite loads of deadening. MINIs just aren't built for good music installs

Alex from NM
7th October 2010, 09:41 PM
Just purchased one of the cables today as it happens. Will update on the difference as a few people have raved about it on NM.

GCA3N
8th October 2010, 06:06 AM
Your probably right folks about the standard system being crap, but it is a marked improvement once the channel swap is done.

GP BILLY
8th October 2010, 08:40 AM
:laugh:Never have the stereo on in the GP:laugh:
whine whine whine all day long:smilewinkgrin:

Gismo
29th November 2010, 04:33 PM
You cant do it if you have the hi fi upgrade thoughDamn, that means me then, my car has the Harmon Kardon upgrade :ragin:
One of the main reasons i didn't like the R56 was due to the stereo

Delboy
29th November 2010, 04:48 PM
Damn, that means me then, my car has the Harmon Kardon upgrade :ragin:
One of the main reasons i didn't like the R56 was due to the stereo

Yes, but presumably you get better sound from the HK system anyway!

Neil - TXJ
29th November 2010, 06:45 PM
Realistically the only way I am going to do this is by using Mike's adaptor - so the question is, is the improvement worth £45? Most of the time I am listening to the radio so would it still be worthwhile?

Trigger

Scottie
29th November 2010, 07:33 PM
Harmon Kardon only came back to the R56 in 2009/2010. prior it was the Hi-Fi upgrade.

Yes, but presumably you get better sound from the HK system anyway!

GCA3N
29th November 2010, 08:30 PM
Realistically the only way I am going to do this is by using Mike's adaptor - so the question is, is the improvement worth £45? Most of the time I am listening to the radio so would it still be worthwhile?

Trigger

I done it the DIY way so for nowt it was easily worth the 30 mins to do. Is it worth £45?......I'd say the end result is worth it, it is a marked improvement on the original set up.

Delboy
29th November 2010, 09:58 PM
I done it the DIY way so for nowt it was easily worth the 30 mins to do. Is it worth £45?......I'd say the end result is worth it, it is a marked improvement on the original set up.

+1 ;)

Gismo
29th November 2010, 10:46 PM
Harmon Kardon only came back to the R56 in 2009/2010. prior it was the Hi-Fi upgrade.Yep, you're right Fi, just a slip of the tongue :Whistle:

SuperCooperS
29th August 2011, 01:16 PM
Hi, just wondering about this.. my car is a 2008 so that means I probably have the hi-fi upgrade and cant do this? or if I do will I notice any difference if I already have the upgraded system.. and it is annoying when the phone calls are through the rear speakers?

Cheers

ianking
29th August 2011, 03:13 PM
If your car has the factory upgrade then it will have the tweeters in the front A pillars. If there are no speakers in the front A pillars then its the standard set up.

SuperCooperS
29th August 2011, 03:21 PM
ah ok.. standard set up it is then...thanks

p.s does it take a while to get used to the phone working through the back speakers? or does it sound ok?

Mark M
10th September 2011, 07:41 PM
I did the chanel swap today. To be honest, the stereo is still a pile of cr4p.

SuperCooperS
11th September 2011, 02:02 PM
i had maybe thougth as much.. i dont think ill bother then if it doesnt seem much of an improvement

Delboy
11th September 2011, 04:36 PM
i had maybe thougth as much.. i dont think ill bother then if it doesnt seem much of an improvement

I disagree, it does make a difference. And I'm not alone with this opinion.

The Dogfather
11th September 2011, 04:56 PM
There's a saying 'you can't polish a turd', and you can't turn the MINI's stereo into something decent for £40, its still crap it just has a bit more bass.

The MINI stereo is pants, the majority of OEM systems are pants. To get good sound you need to go aftermarket.

The best way to upgrade is to fit a good set of component 6.5" in the front and some compact subs in the rear. Tap into the rear signal at the point where you 'channel swap' and fit a line out convertor and take that feed to a 4 way amp.

The alternative to the compact sub rears is a full size boot sub. Hell, if money is no object then fit a full sound/time alignment processor like a Audison Bit One (http://caraudiomag.com/articles/audison-bit-one-processor).

SuperCooperS
11th September 2011, 09:43 PM
The best way to upgrade is to fit a good set of component 6.5" in the front and some compact subs in the rear. Tap into the rear signal at the point where you 'channel swap' and fit a line out convertor and take that feed to a 4 way amp.

The alternative to the compact sub rears is a full size boot sub. Hell, if money is no object then fit a full sound/time alignment processor like a Audison Bit One (http://caraudiomag.com/articles/audison-bit-one-processor).[/QUOTE]

Hi Vidal.. have you done either of these..Id like to do something to improve the sounds.. dont dont want to spent too much

Delboy... I do know some of the guys have done the 50 quid upgrade and said it has made a difference.. but is it a noticable improvement for the minimal cost..

The Dogfather
11th September 2011, 10:19 PM
Yes, I've done it a fairly comprehensive upgrade, pics can be found here: -

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?20588-Clubman-High-End-Audio-Install

There's nearly £2000 of kit that went into my old clubby, and it sounded rather good IMO ;)

However, you can spend a lot less and still get a very respectable sound. The key thing is to spend wisely.

Are you wanting to upgrade in stages, improving bits at a time, or just work to one budget and not spend anymore?

Bazthemod
12th September 2011, 10:20 AM
It is noticeable but it's never going to give you Harman Kardon lol I think people expect miracles with this.

it just makes a really bad stereo slightly more bearable. Have to say however the stereo in my new car sounds better than the old and I havent done the channel swap or feel the need to.

The Dogfather
12th September 2011, 10:32 AM
You should see the speakers that you get in the MINI, flimsy paper cones, thin wires and low quality connectors. All positioned very poorly, I mean tweeters halfway down the doors, eh?. Hardly surprising it sounds so bad.

Sinky67
20th September 2021, 04:58 AM

Takes about 45mins to do but totally worth it... best of all its free! :thumbs up:Did it brilliant difference also very easy,I just followed youtube vid,if u want a diagram of which wires to swap just ask n I'll send it to you

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk