PDA

View Full Version : MINI Countryman JCW Accessories Previewed

GP BILLY
13th August 2010, 09:57 AM
Nice 19" 5 spoke GP wheels:thumbs up:

MINI Countryman JCW Accessories Previewed (http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/08/12/mini-countryman-jcw-accessories-previewed/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Motoringfile+%28MotoringFile% 29)

Big Gordy
13th August 2010, 10:46 AM
Nice 19" 5 spoke GP wheels:thumbs up:

:sheep: How hard are they gonna be with runflats on :frown:

Burple
13th August 2010, 01:59 PM
A 4x4 with 225/40s??:frown:

Sorry.. still looks boggin'! :p

..and we can't even nick the 19s!! Stupid 5 stud wheels... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

ELFMAN
13th August 2010, 04:23 PM
I find the Bicycle Carrying Device particularly attractive, and the way “Light Coffee Black” has captured the exact shade of Chocolate 'Angel Delight' is another winner. You wouldn't know whether to drive it or lick it (especially if you were daft enough to buy it). Top marks for the Red Brake Ducts too, they'll come in handy for scooping in the bog-water when you're Mud-Plugging with your 19" JCW 'GP Stylee' Wheels. Impressive.

Let's bring out a new model because the MINI can't do certain things.... and then spend bucketloads of dosh trying to get it to look and go like the MINI did. If you're going to have a family-friendly 4x4 MINI, fair do's, but stick with the plan and don't dilute it with stupid add-ons which make it less fit for its intended purpose. (Although arguably its intended purpose is the suburban school run). Manna from heaven for the Sales Department and the 'Tick-Box' buyers though - Kerrr-Chiiiiing! £€£€£€£€£€£€£€£€£€£€£€.

The sound you hear in the distance isn't a tuned R53, it's John Cooper turning in his grave.... the WRC car better win or he'll come back and haunt them forever.

Mon the fish
14th August 2010, 07:18 AM
One word... ****. How many biscuits did they have in the meeting where they came up with the wheels? Hardly original.

And anyone, when speccing a car, ignores things as wheels, climate, leather etc. to decide 'What I really need are red brake ducts' will be shot. Because I'll hunt them down. Brake ducts = good. Red brake ducts? Please...

And how long until we see a GP with 19" five-spokes!?

ELFMAN
15th August 2010, 09:18 AM
...And how long until we see a GP with 19" five-spokes!?

And we know how THAT would help the ride and handling!!!! So not only is a 'JCW Countryman' a contradiction, it could inadvertently help to dynamically b***er a GP! BEWARE the creeping hand of the BMW Marketing Department.

I can't wait for 2012 and the MINI X6 JCW 'Olympic Edition' All-Terrain Camper Van Sports Coupe Convertible... with optional JCW Red painted Carbon Fibre Bike Rack. "Only £45K to you Mister".

Sheilz
15th August 2010, 12:42 PM
And we know how THAT would help the ride and handling!!!! So not only is a 'JCW Countryman' a contradiction, it could inadvertently help to dynamically b***er a GP! BEWARE the creeping hand of the BMW Marketing Department.

I can't wait for 2012 and the MINI X6 JCW 'Olympic Edition' All-Terrain Camper Van Sports Coupe Convertible... with optional JCW Red painted Carbon Fibre Bike Rack. "Only £45K to you Mister".

LOL and guess what there'll be somebody out there with mair money than brain cells who'll want to buy it

Bazthemod
15th August 2010, 01:42 PM
Good old negativity ....

ELFMAN
15th August 2010, 02:58 PM
So we should all just accept what BMW decides to do and slavishly follow 'the newest thing'? I'll see your 'Negativity' and raise you 'Healthy Cynicism'.

Over the past few months I'd come to the conclusion that I don't disagree with the idea of the Countryman, it arguably fills a gap in the MINI range and is probably a good bet for families who would otherwise not find the hatch or even the Clubbie a practical proposition - I don't have to think it looks great, or that it's as good as the MINIs we all know and love, but it's a concept that has its place. I'm not having a go at the car itself, just what they're doing to it in this instance.

These inappropriate 'Performance' options WON'T make it perform as well as the hatch (weight, height etc etc), and will also make it WORSE at what it was supposedly designed to do. Everything seems to have to have massive wheels and 'go faster' addenda glued all over it these days, it's SO predictable and boring. All this kind of stuff is for well-heeled poseurs who neither need a practical everyday MINI nor a proper high-performance version. It would be great if MINI made the Countryman really good at what it did and just stuck to it - now THAT would be different and more in keeping with the individuality of the brand. This is purely a money-making exercise. If they came up with a proper 'WRC' Countryman which actually out-performed its siblings on all sorts of different surfaces, that would be a different story - but it would probably cost about £50K! (and STILL not have Recaros as standard!!!).

By the way, if you didn't have 'negativity', your magnet wouldn't work.

GCA3N
15th August 2010, 03:41 PM
I want to like this but that is pointless, and so unoriginal for the wheels.

What I would say is it would appear that BMW are doing well on orders in fact better than anticipated. Apparently this means we could see the coupe out within the next 12-18 months. So let's be positive and tell everyone to buy one cos I am
Looking forward to that.

Stewart
15th August 2010, 04:31 PM
I’m still not sold on the coupe, too much like a trinket to me and I know for sure if you had a brand new Works and the Coupe I’d go with the Works as to me it’s a Mini and looks like a Mini. The Roadster is looking nice all the same.

Certainly be lot of Mini brand on the roads all looking different.

Bazthemod
15th August 2010, 05:25 PM
Opinions on the car are accepted however the opinion on people buying them is a bit harsh! Daft people with too much money etc..

Considering the fact I could be selling these shortly along with the rest of the MINI range I don't see the problem having a model that suits everyone. They won't ever harm production of your precious hatch so embrace the fact that other models are designed to please people other than you ;)

Also whats wrong with a company making money? Keeps MINI in business developing new and innovative ideas - be it new models or improving the hatchback.

stoney
15th August 2010, 05:39 PM
Opinions on the car are accepted however the opinion on people buying them is a bit harsh! Daft people with too much money etc..

Considering the fact I could be selling these shortly along with the rest of the MINI range I don't see the problem having a model that suits everyone. They won't ever harm production of your precious hatch so embrace the fact that other models are designed to please people other than you ;)

Also whats wrong with a company making money? Keeps MINI in business developing new and innovative ideas - be it new models or improving the hatchback.

well if they passed some of it on to the the customer thru customer service then it may not be so bad but i do think some times they like to over price the range !!!

zimbo
15th August 2010, 08:57 PM
Considering the fact I could be selling these shortly along with the rest of the MINI range...

Something you want to tell us young pup? :popcorn:

GCA3N
15th August 2010, 09:35 PM

Yeh good point come on baz.

ELFMAN
16th August 2010, 12:03 AM

Oh, so the cat's out of the bag then - a Corporate axe to grind?

Wake up son, the world IS full of daft people with too much money, and if you're lucky you'll get lots of them in your showroom! It's also full of smart people with not enough money. Nothing wrong with the company making a profit, did I say that? Don't think I did. They have a great product and they've certainly made plenty out of us since 2001. Fine by me - keeps lots of folk in GB in a job (unless it's the Countryman, which will keep folk in Austria in a job, but it's all fair do's).

'Other models designed to please people other than me'? You missed my point entirely - if you read the post properly and not in a haze of MINI Sales indignation, you'd have seen I wasn't having a go at the Countryman itself, and in fact said it had its place in the MINI line-up. According to BMW/MINI, the 'problem' with the hatch and the Clubbie was that they didn't fulfill certain criteria, hence the introduction of the Countryman to fill a gap in the range - so why then compromise the Countryman by trying to turn it into a 'JCW Lookalike' - the vehicle which suposedly wasn't up to scratch for the Countryman market segment BMW are after? That was my point. Embrace it.

Finally - 'Your Precious Hatch'? - that sounds a bit dismissive, condescending and quite a strange turn of phrase considering you've got one and you'll maybe be making a living selling them... to among others, enthusiasts like me. You certainly wouldn't be selling anything to me with that attitude mate! Anyway, best of luck with the Corporate Brainwashing Programme and as the Floyd said "Welcome to the Machine".

Bazthemod
16th August 2010, 01:35 AM
Haha this place is priceless these days, fish always bite.

Elfman I dont need to go back and re-read ur post... its not a personal attack on you for Christ sake. Expressing opinion its what a forum is for.

No brainwashing at all... my parents want a countryman... they don't have too much money or by any means are they daft - they love the brand but need a more practical car. They will also tick boxes and highly spec the car but this is apparently daft and throwing money down the drain.....?

Not condescending about the hatch... its called humor mate. Work hand in hand with sarcasm quite often. Hence why I own one and hence why i'm not being condescending about myself. Pretty self explanatory really. Calling somebody 'son' on the other hand....

But yeah thanks for the good luck wishes with the job, look forward to seeing you someday in the showroom! <Sarcasm and humor there by the way incase that wasnt clear>

;):P

Bazthemod
16th August 2010, 01:41 AM

Yeh good point come on baz.

lol not yet still lengthy process to go.... plus quite happy where I am so tough decision once it comes! :smilewinkgrin:

ELFMAN
16th August 2010, 08:45 AM
Haha this place is priceless these days, fish always bite.

Elfman I dont need to go back and re-read ur post... its not a personal attack on you for Christ sake. Expressing opinion its what a forum is for.

No brainwashing at all... my parents want a countryman... they don't have too much money or by any means are they daft - they love the brand but need a more practical car. They will also tick boxes and highly spec the car but this is apparently daft and throwing money down the drain.....?

Not condescending about the hatch... its called humor mate. Work hand in hand with sarcasm quite often. Hence why I own one and hence why i'm not being condescending about myself. Pretty self explanatory really. Calling somebody 'son' on the other hand....

But yeah thanks for the good luck wishes with the job, look forward to seeing you someday in the showroom! <Sarcasm and humor there by the way incase that wasnt clear>

;):P

Thanks for that Baz, you've answered all my points exactly as I expected. I can recognise sarcasm and humour, so you must try using them properly sometime. Remember the whole thing was about the JCW Extras for the Countryman..... NOT NOT repeat NOT the Countryman itself.

I didn't take your post as a 'personal attack', and neither did Christ, but if what you're doing here is 'getting a fish to bite' with your unique blend of sarcasm and 'humour', well, this is all pretty pointless, and if you weren't being condescending, you were at least appearing to be contradictory - neither of which is remotely humorous.

On the 'ticking boxes' in the showroom, wait and see how much the MINI Dealer offers your folks for the 'Highly Specced' Countryman when they trade it in...... still, I'm sure you'll give them a decent deal though, even though they call you 'Son'. I really am sorry I said that, but didn't you get it? It was a slightly sarcastic and humorous term of endearment!

Oh and by the way, I've been around this site as long as you (very slightly longer in fact to be pedantic), so less of the 'These Days' thanks - I've always 'expressed my opinion' right from the start, it's not a new phenomenon. Now I've pulled your fish hook out of my face, I'll let you get on with it.

Bazthemod
16th August 2010, 12:24 PM
Oh and by the way, I've been around this site as long as you (very slightly longer in fact to be pedantic), so less of the 'These Days' thanks - I've always 'expressed my opinion' right from the start, it's not a new phenomenon. Now I've pulled your fish hook out of my face, I'll let you get on with it.

Oh in that case thanks grandad you win ;)

ELFMAN
16th August 2010, 01:07 PM
Very decent of you, I'll give you some Werther's Originals if you let me win the next time too.

Fartin Martin
16th August 2010, 07:15 PM
TBH..I don't see a big deal with adding JCW extras to it...as far as I'm aware..probably most folk have done it to one if their Mini's at some point...JCW kits JCW exhausts..sound kits..wheels? I'm adding JCW exhaust soon..brakes..upping the power..am I tryin to be a JCW? :S

Yeah..some of it probs may not be BMW's brightest idea..but end of the day..that's what they have decided to go ahead with..nae point in flapping about over it! They'll still make money off it! lol..personally..I don't think they have been 100% in any model they have brought out! except the Checkmate ofcourse! :p..I jest..

And yeah its a 4X4..but how many really are gonna be used for that purpose really?I know I wouldn't ha..like my Mum doesn't use her 4X4 for off roading and anyone else I know with a 4X4 lol..It's just gonna be a toy for someone..like my car is for me..my grown up toy..that I love to bits..and maybe yeah makes me look like a poser..people do look at me in my car..I drive about..with my shades on..windows down sunroof open tunes up! Do I care..nah! who doesn't like to look good? ha ha

ELFMAN
17th August 2010, 12:26 AM
I have lots of JCW stuff on my car, but it's all there for a purpose - to make the car go, stop and handle better, and seats to hold you better - so no problem at all with JCW parts. Just don't see the point of the big wheels and red brake ducts etc on the Countryman - it's all for show. Fair enough, in the end it's each to their own.

The Dogfather
17th August 2010, 06:22 AM
If the JCW stuff move it back from being a crossover towards it just being a bigger MINI then that has to be a good thing.

Mon the fish
17th August 2010, 07:27 AM
99.9% of the JCW accessories are fine IMO, I don't like carbon personally but some people do, I respect their opinion. Mini's are all different, that's whats good about them.

But red brake ducts cross the line of taste and sensibility - I just can't imagine what would go through someone's head to actually pay more money for them!

GCA3N
17th August 2010, 07:55 AM
99.9% of the JCW accessories are fine IMO, I don't like carbon personally but some people do, I respect their opinion. Mini's are all different, that's whats good about them.

But red brake ducts cross the line of taste and sensibility - I just can't imagine what would go through someone's head to actually pay more money for them!

Your probably right but as others have stated BMW are one of the worst offenders for optional extras. If they think they can market jcw kit even when it shouldn't then they are bound too. Let's be honest you can almost double the price of a mini with optional extras alone.

Oh yeh regarding those red brake ducts there's no accounting for taste for some people, so you can wash your mouth out on the carbon fibre comment ;) :lol:

Scottie
17th August 2010, 08:39 AM
the only thing I don't like is the GP style wheels. I would wanting 16's wrapped in Grabbers on my Countryman.

Stewart
17th August 2010, 11:17 AM
Could you get away with 16's on this as it is big.....

Mon the fish
17th August 2010, 01:47 PM
Could you get away with 16's on this as it is big.....

Yes but you could probably fit Dawn French into the resultant wheelgap.

The Dogfather
17th August 2010, 01:56 PM

Eh? The radius of the tyre and wheel are (as near as dammit) the same. On the current model the 16" wheeled MINI has the smallest wheel gap of any standard size wheel

Stewart
17th August 2010, 02:37 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs251.snc4/39890_421151863510_115434098510_4910110_4810247_n. jpg

ELFMAN
17th August 2010, 04:26 PM
and High Street Bistro for a smashing late supper with Jacinta and Toby!

(just kidding folks... I'm becoming strangely attracted to the Lumpy Beast..... and the Countryman).

Scottie
17th August 2010, 05:32 PM
not with grabbers A/T or M/S fitted you wouldn't

Stewart
17th August 2010, 05:35 PM
The very-first MINI Countryman, hot off the Production Line

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oDCDtoWTic

zimbo
17th August 2010, 05:57 PM
Man after watching that video and seeing the rear of the car in all its glory, the first thing you spot is that AWFUL HUUUUGGGEEEE mini badge smack bang in the middle of the door!!! :idunno:

GCA3N
17th August 2010, 06:18 PM
Man after watching that video and seeing the rear of the car in all its glory, the first thing you spot is that AWFUL HUUUUGGGEEEE mini badge smack bang in the middle of the door!!! :idunno:

Oh dear oh dear what were they thinking of. As much as I want to
Like this that is AAAARGH!!!!

Sheilz
17th August 2010, 07:19 PM
Its more maxi than mini. Looked better in red than taxi black. Wonder if the same twits that steal wheel caps and aerials etc will try to get their mitts on one of these rear badges?

Sheilz
17th August 2010, 07:21 PM
weird - tried deleting one of the 'gets' but removed both now putting it in twice - weird

Mon the fish
18th August 2010, 07:01 AM
Eh? The radius of the tyre and wheel are (as near as dammit) the same. On the current model the 16" wheeled MINI has the smallest wheel gap of any standard size wheel

I know that. It was supposed to be sarcasm.

Gismo
18th August 2010, 03:09 PM
weird - tried deleting one of the 'gets' but removed both now putting it in twice - weirdIt's a known bug :frown:

ELFMAN
18th August 2010, 04:40 PM
Watching the video form the factory - Hmmmmmm... Doesn't look TOO bad actually..... I REALLY need a Holiday, I've gone completely barking!!!!!

I think the rear badge is HUGE just to make the rest of the car look smaller, it's cunning psychological design.

It also seems to depend on the colour and spec whether it looks OK or 'Oh God'...

weefossy
19th August 2010, 09:46 PM
IMHO.........it's minging!!
but as always "beauty is in the eye" etc

ELFMAN
21st August 2010, 10:33 PM
Yeah, it started off as 'Twiggy', now it's gone all 'Pamela Anderson'....

GCA3N
21st August 2010, 10:35 PM
Yeah, it started off as 'Twiggy', now it's gone all 'Pamela Anderson'....

Your showing ur age now :lol:

ELFMAN
23rd August 2010, 06:04 PM
Think yourself lucky that's all that's showing.....

GCA3N
23rd August 2010, 06:14 PM
Think yourself lucky that's all that's showing.....

:laugh:

weefossy
24th August 2010, 09:44 PM
It's amazing he can still remember Twiggy at his age!!

Doug_m
24th August 2010, 11:48 PM

The badge is as big as an original mini.
I hate where manufacturers do this, ruins (some) nice cars!!!

Stewart
25th August 2010, 05:04 PM
"We're pleased to announce that the new MINI Countryman and the new MINI models are now available to build on the on-line Configurator."

http://www.mini.co.uk/html/ecom/ecom.html?campaignid=MINIUK_Social_Media&advertiserid=facebook&bannerid=QL_config

ELFMAN
26th August 2010, 11:48 PM
It's amazing he can still remember Twiggy at his age!!

Now Malcolm, I only know Ms Twiggy because I've seen her on that new-fangled 'electric video' device - I was only about 4 or 5 when she was all the rage... She's still got it though, which is more than can be said for me, I had it, but put it away somewhere and can't remember where!

GCA3N
27th August 2010, 07:42 AM
Now Malcolm, I only know Ms Twiggy because I've seen her on that new-fangled 'electric video' device - I was only about 4 or 5 when she was all the rage... She's still got it though, which is more than can be said for me, I had it, but put it away somewhere and can't remember where!

:laugh::laugh:

MINIme:)
13th December 2011, 03:03 PM
JCW anyone? will it help their sales I wonder

http://www.motoringfile.com/2011/12/13/official-mini-to-build-a-jcw-countryman/

ELFMAN
13th December 2011, 03:28 PM
Quote from the "motoringfile' article:

"We’ve also learned through sources that that winged Countryman spotted recently outside of Prodrive’s UK offices was simply Team Principle Richard Burns private car and not anything meant for public consumption."

Surely this is Prodrive's 'David Richards' , as Richard Burns, one of GB's greatest Rally heroes, passed away in 2006... If they can't get THAT right, I wonder how accurate the rest of their info is? Very shoddy.

As for the Factory JCW Countryman... it's a niche within a niche within a niche. It'll be compromised over a 'standard' Countryman with stiff suspension and it won't be as good as the JCW Hatch because of the weight and height. It'll also cost a bucketload, which, when compared to something like a Skoda Yeti, (which is a very good drive by all accounts, and very practical with it), will make it look grossly overpriced. It'll look quite good though - like the one in Parks MINI in Hamilton - and will no doubt attract attention because of the excellent Prodrive WRC campaign, but don't be fooled into thinking it'll be a WRC for the road, because it won't - unless you throw a couple of hundred thousand £ at it!

GCA3N
13th December 2011, 05:31 PM
Euan I posted something a while back about the countryman JCW after chatting with an insider (so to speak) who stated it will basically (appart from visual modifications) be a re-mapped version of the standard car with a slightly different suspension.

ELFMAN
14th December 2011, 11:53 AM
No surprises there then, Greig....

Stewart
29th December 2011, 05:33 PM
Was reading about the new Countryman JCW an expensive beastie but what an option to have if you really need the room.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_969/car_photo_484504_25.jpg

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_969/car_photo_484510_25.jpg

By Jack Rix
December 2011

• Latest deal price: from £16,190 to £26,649

The John Cooper Works family is growing again, with the addition of the Countryman to its ranks. MINI has revealed a prototype of the hot four-wheel-drive crossover, which it claims is 85 per cent production ready, and allowed Auto Expressbehindthewheelfor an early first drive on wintry roads in the Austrian alps.

Despite splashes of MINI’s traditional yellow swirled camouflage, the JCW’s pumped up bodywork can be seen clearly. It shares the same stepped grille, with a narrow air intake underneath, as the Cooper S, as well as the two square intakes in the lower grille. Beneath that though the front lip spoiler is lower and more pronounced.
At the rear the deeper bumper wraps entirely around the twin tailpipes, while the thicker side skirts, hidden here by yellow tape, are colour matched to the bodywork. The suspension is 10mm lower than the Cooper S too, giving the car a more squat stance, closer to a traditional hatchback than a compact crossover.

MINI refused to talk about power or performance figures, so we’ll have to wait until the car makes its debut at the Geneva Show in March for official stats. But on the snowy test route we had a chance to stretch its legs.
The power delivery was impressive – not as manic as the JCW Coupe or Hatchback, but the swell of acceleration was thrilling nonetheless. Expect the power output to be on a par with the Hatchback – that means 211bhp from the 1.6-litre turbocharged engine, while the 0-62mph time will be slightly slower, at around seven seconds.

Sports suspension from the Cooper S, featuring stiffer anti-roll bars and firmer dampers, is carried over to the JCW, except with the 10mm drop mentioned earlier. With a layer of soft snow on the roads, and winter tyres fitted to the prototype it was difficult to make a definitive judgement on the ride – but it certainly felt firm. We’ve criticised the Countryman in the past for its unyielding suspension, but in an overtly sporty model like the JCW it’s an acceptable compromise. To haul off the increased speeds, the rear brake discs have grown too, from 280mm to 296mm.

There’s the same three-stage ESP system and Sport button you’ll find in lesser Countrymans. The latter weights up the steering, sharpens the throttle slightly and gives the exhaust note a raspier sound with flurries of pops and bangs when you back off the accelerator – a JCW hallmark. It’s the steering though that steals the show.

Heinz Krusche, BMW’s head of driving dynamics and our co-pilot for the drive, told us that this car’s development was easier than any of the other JCW models, because there wasn’t the problem of torque steer to try and contain. And right from the off it's obvious the steering has a fluidity and accuracy that existing JCWs simply can’t match, because torque is shared between two axles.

We also had a chance to try the MINI Coupe JCW on the exact same stretch of road, and while the car squirming around underneath us and the wheel wriggling in our hands was fun, it didn’t inspire the same confidence. As the Countryman JCW prototype blasted into the distance, the Coupe JCW was left trailing in its wake.

Price: £27,500 (est)
Engine: 1.6-litre four-cyl turbo
Transmission: Six-speed manual, four-wheel drive
Power: 211bhp (est)
Torque: 260Nm
0-62mph: 7 seconds (est)
Top speed: 145mph (est)
Economy: 37mpg (est)
CO2: 175g/km (est)
Equipment: Leather upholstery, sat-nav, iPod connection, sports exhaust, multi-function steering wheel
On sale: Spring 2012