PDA

View Full Version : Turbo or not Turbo

cooperchris
5th August 2010, 06:34 PM
Got a phone call today from Grassicks in perth asking if i wanted to trade my mini in for something new :hand: Not after spending all that time an money on it.

So i spoke to the better half about this an we started thinking. What can we do to make it a bit more exciting. Lets stick a turbo in it :yes nod:

So this is the idea we were thinking of for next year :thumbs up:

http://www.autofashion.co.uk/mct_170_turbo.htm

Has anyone had any experience with these before?
The company say they have been going for seven years an never blown an engine.

Im just looking for some thoughts an knowledge guys before i start saving, dont want to waste all that money if its no good. Or does anyone one know of the same product at a better price.

Thanx in advance

Chris :thumbs up:

GCA3N
5th August 2010, 06:36 PM
Alan(gismo) is the man to ask he done a turbo conversion on his supercharged mini, I'm sure he'll be along soon with words of wisdom.

cooperchris
5th August 2010, 06:38 PM
Alan(gismo) is the man to ask he done a turbo conversion on his supercharged mini, I'm sure he'll be along soon with words of wisdom.

Did he have a thread with that car?

GCA3N
5th August 2010, 06:40 PM
http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?14222-The-Gismo-Man-s-Manky-Black-JCW-Cooper-S

There u go.

Hogman
5th August 2010, 08:55 PM
Nooooooooooooooo Superchargers are the future :-)

Mon the fish
5th August 2010, 09:32 PM
Loads of people have looked at blowing Coopers, just isn't worth it. Gearbox can't take the strain, compression ratios are different, the Cooper S has a lot of upgraded engine internals, etc etc. If you really want to do it, get hold of a Cooper S engine and gearbox from a breakers, but even then it still won't be worth it.

Sorry to disappoint you! I drove the Janspeed 140bhp Cooper years ago, thats the limit of what you can do before the gearbox goes. Gasflowed head, manifold, intake and new back box. Quick car, sounded brilliant.

Crombers
5th August 2010, 09:58 PM
Loads of people have looked at blowing Coopers, just isn't worth it. Gearbox can't take the strain, compression ratios are different, the Cooper S has a lot of upgraded engine internals, etc etc. If you really want to do it, get hold of a Cooper S engine and gearbox from a breakers, but even then it still won't be worth it.

Sorry to disappoint you! I drove the Janspeed 140bhp Cooper years ago, thats the limit of what you can do before the gearbox goes. Gasflowed head, manifold, intake and new back box. Quick car, sounded brilliant.

As above :yes nod: .................... dinna even think about it

(PS ....................... weve just saved you ££££ ....................... literally !!!!

cooperchris
5th August 2010, 10:10 PM
Cheers guys

Like a said am just lookin to make it more exciting but dont want to waste money trying :thumbs up:

stoney
5th August 2010, 10:15 PM
just take round the back roads and give it a bit of right foot thats exciting :yes nod::p:smilewinkgrin:

Mon the fish
6th August 2010, 07:19 AM
Gasflowed head, manifold and CAI would make a big difference. Give Janspeed a call, see what they can do. But you're still talking nearly £2k for 25bhp

MINI William
6th August 2010, 08:18 AM
Nooooooooooooooo Superchargers are the future :-)

Do you not mean the past

GP BILLY
6th August 2010, 08:19 AM
Chris what about dropping an S engine in it:yes nod::yes nod:

Here a thread about a member on TM doing it, and it worked
out quite cheap (think his insurance wasn't that much different)

supercharged conversion (http://www.totalmini.com/forum/9-general-discussion/12263-supercharged-conversion.html)

MINI William
6th August 2010, 08:20 AM
Chris you would be better to give your car a good run down the back roads. If you want something more exiting get a quicker car. As others have said you will spend a furtune.

Crombers
6th August 2010, 02:50 PM
Gasflowed head, manifold and CAI would make a big difference. Give Janspeed a call, see what they can do. But you're still talking nearly £2k for 25bhp

Not spent anything like that but I've fitted to my Coop a full Playmini system from Manifold through the Sports Cat to a stainless steel back box, in addition to a K&N 57i induction kit. The 57i was around the £100 quid mark & I was in the right place at the right time to pick up the zorst 2nd hand for about £370'ish including fitting. The manifold & sport cat certainly give the car much better pulling power & the 57i & back box give it the noise :yes nod:

I could be tempted to go for a RR test just to see what I'm putting out :yes nod:

Beyond the above I would'ny be tempted, don't even reckon chipping her would give much extra (much much better mod if yer MINI's a One)

The only advice beyond this would be to sell up & buy an R53 'S' (cos their better looking :thumbs up:)

Gismo
6th August 2010, 03:23 PM
I think it's pretty well known that the Cooper is virtually at it's best as standard, of course you can do some things like exhaust and chip etc, but, sadly the Cooper just isn't mod friendly.
If you're looking for something more powerful (not more exciting) then get yourself a Cooper S, but, a well driven Cooper will easily keep up with the Cooper S's and has been proven time and again :thumbs up:

Crombers
6th August 2010, 04:40 PM
............. but, a well driven Cooper will easily keep up with the Cooper S's and has been proven time and again :thumbs up:

Lovin it boss :thumbs up: (not that I'm in any way a good driver, apparently :frown:)

cooperchris
6th August 2010, 06:14 PM
Chris what about dropping an S engine in it:yes nod::yes nod:

Here a thread about a member on TM doing it, and it worked
out quite cheap (think his insurance wasn't that much different)

supercharged conversion (http://www.totalmini.com/forum/9-general-discussion/12263-supercharged-conversion.html)

That sounds good apart from the bonnet, Want to keep the cooper bonnet. If there was a way to put a FMI on it then maybe :yes nod:

Not spent anything like that but I've fitted to my Coop a full Playmini system from Manifold through the Sports Cat to a stainless steel back box, in addition to a K&N 57i induction kit. The 57i was around the £100 quid mark & I was in the right place at the right time to pick up the zorst 2nd hand for about £370'ish including fitting. The manifold & sport cat certainly give the car much better pulling power & the 57i & back box give it the noise :yes nod:

I could be tempted to go for a RR test just to see what I'm putting out :yes nod:

Not got the sports cat but got a full stainless cat back magnex system and a performance filter an its putting out 126bhp. Tried chipping it an it gave me 128bhp. Not worth it :frown: Throttle responce was just the same.

I would be up for a rolling road day if anyone would be up for it. Could even try to sort one out at Falkland Performance Centre if we get enough interest :thumbs up:

Chris you would be better to give your car a good run down the back roads. If you want something more exiting get a quicker car. As others have said you will spend a furtune.

I couldn't ask for a better car on the back roads, I love the twistys. just wanted a bit more punch coming out the bends. Will not get rid of the car so al just have to find some more exciting roads :yes nod: :thumbs up:

Cheers for all the thoughts folks :thumbs up:

stoney
6th August 2010, 09:14 PM
That sounds good apart from the bonnet, Want to keep the cooper bonnet. If there was a way to put a FMI on it then maybe :yes nod:

GRS make a FMI GRS make the best TMIC for the R53

http://www.lohen.co.uk/shop/proddetail.php?prod=GRSMotorsportFrontMountInterco oler

i know mikey the mini supply's GRS intercoolers as well :thumbs up:

cooperchris
6th August 2010, 10:19 PM
GRS make a FMI GRS make the best TMIC for the R53

http://www.lohen.co.uk/shop/proddetail.php?prod=GRSMotorsportFrontMountInterco oler

i know mikey the mini supply's GRS intercoolers as well :thumbs up:

You just got me thinking again :D

Might be time to start saving for next year :yes nod: