PDA

View Full Version : New Car

Tam1314
29th July 2010, 06:35 PM
Hi Folks, Superharged or Turbo'd. What's the best one

weefossy
29th July 2010, 06:40 PM
Depends what you want / need. For me the R56 Works is the best, but lots of people love the R53 and the whine from the supercharger. Especially the GP

AndyP & Lenore
29th July 2010, 06:42 PM
If you'd asked me 3 years ago just after buying our Turbo'd S I'd have said Supercharger. However, after 2 years of owning both on the driveway, despite the wonderful scream from the supercharger, you just can't beat the grunt of the turbo.

So, turbo for us.:thumbs up:

A.:D

Doug_m
29th July 2010, 06:45 PM
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d78/jamesgamrie/ddcb4476.jpg

:D :D :D

stoney
29th July 2010, 06:58 PM
i love my supercharger but it dose drink a lot !!!!!!!

GCA3N
29th July 2010, 07:49 PM
If money is an issue has to be turbo, even with a heavy boot you'll average around 38-40 mpg, be very careful and you can hit 45-48. As others have said with the supercharged ones you can half these figures. Have to say even though I have never owned a supercharged one gotta love that sound.

Mon the fish
30th July 2010, 07:17 AM
Get a supercharged Mini, do the pulley, manifold and CAI, and it's probably the most entertaining Mini you'll ever drive. Sod the fuel consumption, what else are you going to spend your money on...

Craig
30th July 2010, 07:58 AM
Get a supercharged Mini, do the pulley, manifold and CAI, and it's probably the most entertaining Mini you'll ever drive. Sod the fuel consumption, what else are you going to spend your money on...

^^^^^^^^ wot Gordon said !!!! ;)

Tam1314
30th July 2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks guys,
Whine or Grunt, l do like the whine and mostly the car will be driven to and from work which is only 16 miles round trip.

AndyP & Lenore
30th July 2010, 10:16 AM
Thanks guys,
Whine or Grunt, l do like the whine and mostly the car will be driven to and from work which is only 16 miles round trip.

If you are looking to buy one, we might be selling our red MINI.

The Dogfather
30th July 2010, 10:27 AM
How many people saying supercharged have actually driven the turbo over a decent distance?

Having driven both, other than in noise the turbo car is far superior

Burple
30th July 2010, 11:44 AM
How many people saying supercharged have actually driven the turbo over a decent distance?

And get an induction kit on the turbo one.. then you won't be complaining about lack of noise! :thumbs up::thumbs up::cool::cool::smilewinkgrin:

GCA3N
30th July 2010, 12:39 PM

:thumbs up:

Mon the fish
30th July 2010, 01:26 PM

Harry Fairbairn gave me one for half a day, as I was thinking of changing. I took it down my favourite road (the B769), and the turbo lag (admittedly small, but noticeable) annoyed me, and it just felt bigger and softer, less chuckable. More refined, yes, but I wanted it to be a bit more hardcore

The Dogfather
30th July 2010, 01:53 PM
Turbo lag? What turbo lag?

They must have given you a duff one.

ianking
30th July 2010, 03:31 PM
Put the sport button on and it sharpens up the throttle and there is almost no lag with it on

AndyP & Lenore
30th July 2010, 03:54 PM
Turbo lag? What turbo lag?

They must have given you a duff one.

What he said.

After 3 years of driving ours, I've never seen any turbo lag.:confused:

A.

stoney
30th July 2010, 03:58 PM
i have driven one and i did like it a lot but i love the super charger and the way the R53 felt more direct

Mon the fish
30th July 2010, 06:15 PM
Put the sport button on and it sharpens up the throttle and there is almost no lag with it on

'Almost' is the key word there. The R56 has the least lag of any turbo car I've driven, and I'm being super-pernickety, but it was there. Goodness knows why I'm trading 10mpg for less lag though...

ELFMAN
31st July 2010, 02:29 AM
Turbo Lag? NO WAY. Certainly not with the 'Sport' button on - it's got enough torque to pull the QE2! With the Sport off, the response is 'muted', but still not what you'd call properly 'laggy'. (anyone tried Turbo cars in the 80's?). I LOVED my old JCW 210, the noise and the whine when it was on full song were a wonder to behold, and the R53, as Stoney said, is more 'direct' and somehow just that wee bit more driver-focussed.

Remember that the Supercharger is driven directly from the engine whereas the Turbo is driven by exhaust gasses and will always have to 'spool up', so the supercharger maybe seems to give a more 'instant' hit, but it also saps a bit of power while its doing it. The turbo and timing technology on the R56 is so clever - it's light years ahead of the old engine - that it's VERY hard to notice any difference on the road - my R56 picks up instantly and goes every bit as hard as the old car. The JCW maybe had a bit more top-end, but it was running a playmini manifold and a few other bits which helped.

The R56 S has oodles of grunt straight out of the box, much more than the standard R53 ever had, and with the tuning kit, mine is subjectively just as quick as my JCW 210. The torque of the turbo gives you fantastic flexibility in all sorts of situations and while it sounds a bit boring, the fact that you can use all of that performance and still get mid-30's to the gallon (and easy 45+ when driving 'normally') is quite a big bonus, especially on a long run. When using all the performance on my old car, I would often see very low 20's or below if I was being especially naughty. For sheer driving enjoyment with the 'charger screaming away and the exhaust blaring, a modified R53 is very hard to beat, but with a few tweaks here and there on the R56, I reckon you can recapture the best points of the R53 and maintain all of the benefits of the later car.

I had my R53 JCW 210 for 5 years, and I've had the R56 for nearly a year and a half. Each car has its plus and minus points, the R53 probably takes the 'Driver's Car' crown, but for all-round ability I have to say I think the R56 JUST shades it.

GCA3N
31st July 2010, 06:01 AM
Turbo Lag? NO WAY. Certainly not with the 'Sport' button on - it's got enough torque to pull the QE2! With the Sport off, the response is 'muted', but still not what you'd call properly 'laggy'. (anyone tried Turbo cars in the 80's?). I LOVED my old JCW 210, the noise and the whine when it was on full song were a wonder to behold, and the R53, as Stoney said, is more 'direct' and somehow just that wee bit more driver-focussed.

Remember that the Supercharger is driven directly from the engine whereas the Turbo is driven by exhaust gasses and will always have to 'spool up', so the supercharger maybe seems to give a more 'instant' hit, but it also saps a bit of power while its doing it. The turbo and timing technology on the R56 is so clever - it's light years ahead of the old engine - that it's VERY hard to notice any difference on the road - my R56 picks up instantly and goes every bit as hard as the old car. The JCW maybe had a bit more top-end, but it was running a playmini manifold and a few other bits which helped.

The R56 S has oodles of grunt straight out of the box, much more than the standard R53 ever had, and with the tuning kit, mine is subjectively just as quick as my JCW 210. The torque of the turbo gives you fantastic flexibility in all sorts of situations and while it sounds a bit boring, the fact that you can use all of that performance and still get mid-30's to the gallon (and easy 45+ when driving 'normally') is quite a big bonus, especially on a long run. When using all the performance on my old car, I would often see very low 20's or below if I was being especially naughty. For sheer driving enjoyment with the 'charger screaming away and the exhaust blaring, a modified R53 is very hard to beat, but with a few tweaks here and there on the R56, I reckon you can recapture the best points of the R53 and maintain all of the benefits of the later car.

I had my R53 JCW 210 for 5 years, and I've had the R56 for nearly a year and a half. Each car has its plus and minus points, the R53 probably takes the 'Driver's Car' crown, but for all-round ability I have to say I think the R56 JUST shades it.

Excellent write up Elfman.

The Dogfather
31st July 2010, 08:14 AM
Having discussed this yesterday I went out and drove my car again this time actually looking for a delay, there was nada, zip, diddly, fa,

I can only imaging that they must have given you a duff car.

Mon the fish
31st July 2010, 08:26 AM

I know the differences between supercharging and turbocharging, and why turbocharging will always have a slight bit of lag. My JCW is a weekend toy only, so being 'somehow just that wee bit more driver-focussed' as you said, is more important to me than refinement, running costs etc

ELFMAN
2nd August 2010, 12:10 AM
I know the differences between supercharging and turbocharging, and why turbocharging will always have a slight bit of lag. My JCW is a weekend toy only, so being 'somehow just that wee bit more driver-focussed' as you said, is more important to me than refinement, running costs etc

Didn't mean to 'lecture' anybody about turbos Vs superchargers, just making a technical point I thought was pertinent. I reckon a run side-by-side from about 30 - 90mph in third and fourth would show if the Turbo 'lagged' or not in any sense of the word.

For the record, I'm more interested in driver-enjoyment than I am in running costs and refinement - that's why I ran a tuned JCW 210 for 5 years and why I'm slowly but surely modifying my R56. I was about to spend £6K further modifying my '03 JCW 210, but as it was my only car, I couldn't really justify it for everyday use, although I really wanted to! I decided to go for the R56, as there was a great deal on it at the time (March '09), so I traded in the JCW and sold my aftermarket bits to help pay for the new car. If I'd been able to keep it as a second car, I'd have done the mods and used it just for fun. Circumstances now mean that I actually have a wee car (98 Pug 106 1.1) to drive to work etc, so I don't use the R56 every day.... how ironic, but you never know how things are going to work out.

Tam's initial question was 'What's Best?' He didn't say whether it was for everyday use, or as a 'weekend toy'. If it's specifically as a plaything, then I agree a modded R53 would be spot on, if it's for more general use - both fun and practical - then the R56 is probably a better bet. Having driven both cars in unmodified form, I have to say that the standard R56 would show a similar R53 a clean pair of heels - so take your pick.

Mon the fish
2nd August 2010, 07:47 AM
Didn't mean to 'lecture' anybody about turbos Vs superchargers, just making a technical point I thought was pertinent. I reckon a run side-by-side from about 30 - 90mph in third and fourth would show if the Turbo 'lagged' or not in any sense of the word.

For the record, I'm more interested in driver-enjoyment than I am in running costs and refinement - that's why I ran a tuned JCW 210 for 5 years and why I'm slowly but surely modifying my R56. I was about to spend £6K further modifying my '03 JCW 210, but as it was my only car, I couldn't really justify it for everyday use, although I really wanted to! I decided to go for the R56, as there was a great deal on it at the time (March '09), so I traded in the JCW and sold my aftermarket bits to help pay for the new car. If I'd been able to keep it as a second car, I'd have done the mods and used it just for fun. Circumstances now mean that I actually have a wee car (98 Pug 106 1.1) to drive to work etc, so I don't use the R56 every day.... how ironic, but you never know how things are going to work out.

Tam's initial question was 'What's Best?' He didn't say whether it was for everyday use, or as a 'weekend toy'. If it's specifically as a plaything, then I agree a modded R53 would be spot on, if it's for more general use - both fun and practical - then the R56 is probably a better bet. Having driven both cars in unmodified form, I have to say that the standard R56 would show a similar R53 a clean pair of heels - so take your pick.

Would agree with that. Overall the R56 is bigger, more refined, cheaper to run etc. The R53 is rawer, and more therefore more rewarding IMO. Depends what you're after I suppose. I live above my work, so don't even need a car, but there's no way the JCW is going as I need my fortnightly supercharged fix!

ELFMAN
2nd August 2010, 09:27 AM
Good on you Mr. Fish! The world needs Blown MINIS like Kylie needs tiny shorts!!!!!!

If I had the space and the dosh, for my 'Fun' MINI I'd have an R53 with around 250bhp, stripped out, Recaros, Big Brakes, sorted Coil-Overs, Lightweight Wheels in Black and decent non-runflat Rubber (also in Black), Nasty Exhaust manifold & System (I'd get a Playmini again) etc etc, in something like Bright Orange (like Ford Focus shade), black roof and mirrors, no chrome, and some nice black side graphics - like a MINI in Porsche GT3 stylee. Nice. Of course, I'd either lose my licence or my life within 6 months...

Mon the fish
2nd August 2010, 02:03 PM
Well, I'm on my way to 250bhp. Should have it by xmas if my plans come together. Going to do all the suspension bushes first

ELFMAN
2nd August 2010, 02:51 PM
I reckon mine ended up with around 230bhp, but that was as far as I got! Never got around to rolling road it with all the bits on - went very well though, and sounded FAB. Who knows how it would've ended up if I'd kept it. One of the main things I miss is the noise, but then again, I can go quickly now without drawing attention - good if you're in 'Stealth' mode, but not so good if you fancy some 'Days of Thunder'.

GP BILLY
3rd August 2010, 09:32 AM
Good on you Mr. Fish! The world needs Blown MINIS like Kylie needs tiny shorts!!!!!!

If I had the space and the dosh, for my 'Fun' MINI I'd have an R53 with around 250bhp, stripped out, Recaros, Big Brakes, sorted Coil-Overs, Lightweight Wheels in Black and decent non-runflat Rubber (also in Black), Nasty Exhaust manifold & System (I'd get a Playmini again) etc etc, in something like Bright Orange (like Ford Focus shade), black roof and mirrors, no chrome, and some nice black side graphics - like a MINI in Porsche GT3 stylee. Nice. Of course, I'd either lose my licence or my life within 6 months...

Close but no ciiiiiiiiigar:laugh:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/9049/spotted%20cars/37386259.jpg

Mon the fish
3rd August 2010, 01:34 PM
All that needs is 'RAC' on the side, and some flashing lights on the roof...

ELFMAN
3rd August 2010, 10:06 PM
Not a bad colour combo, but the car lacks something. It manages to look 'in your face', but bland at the same time. Hate the wheels. Black alloys are a MUST with those colours. I'd much rather have a wee Countryman like Billy's - that Classic look with a nice 'built' 1293 under the bonnet, that would be good for raising a few eyebrows on a backroad or away from the lights.

Anyway, my MINI 'no-holds barred weekend pure fun machine' would have to be a wee '53 totally impractical 'race car for the road' - which you could hear half a mile away - for the proper full- Blown effect!