PDA

View Full Version : F1 in the UK

euan
7th July 2004, 06:37 PM
OK, so while in London I took the opportunity to go to regent Street last night and watch the F1 cars take to the steets of London.

Highlight was Mansell nearly sticking it in the barriers and then nearly wipe out the rest of the cars with his donuts (better than Luca B in the Ferrari who's mechanic had to jump out of the way of the car as he did one).

The crowds were mental, we ended up watching it on the big screen, however the noise, oh my god the noise was fantastic. You had the high pitched wail of an F1 car at full revs followed by the safety car (who I'm sure was just playing the whole night) which was a Merc SL55 - big, bassy, thunderous noise. Just brilliant.

So overall, good fun, could not see a thing but worth it for the noise.

Should they do a London GP? Well, not at the expense of Silverstone if you ask me. Would be good for London but I think too much stuff is here already and would like it to be spread out, part of the joy of motor racing is going to the circuit and in the case of the big races, camping out and getting very drunk. Thoughts?

The Dogfather
7th July 2004, 06:44 PM
I'd love to see a street circuit in the UK, even at the expense of Silverstone, but does it have to be London? OK they have the landmarks but why not Manchester, Leeds or even Edinburgh?

Monsta Mo Mini
7th July 2004, 07:10 PM
ANYTHING to make it more interesting....

....I think convicted forcing neds to cross the track in the way that they do (you know how thay seem to think they are harder than cars and therefore don't need to get out of the way). Now that would be worth watching!

euan
7th July 2004, 07:30 PM
Actually, an Edinburgh one would be great, sweeping up behind the castle, hitting the cobbles on the Royal mile, round the new Parliament and Holyrood, back round onto Princes Street (Edinburgh equivalent of the Mulsanne?), the Grassmarket as pits...

Only problem is the weather may not be as good as Silverstone. Plus Edinburgh council would never accomodate it the way London did last night.

Are street races any good though? They look great but when was the last great Monaco race?

Monsta Mo Mini
7th July 2004, 08:11 PM
Who's played Project Gotham racing then?

euan
7th July 2004, 08:41 PM
I never seen it as I'm a PS2 man - does it have an Edinburgh circuit?