PDA

View Full Version : 47 MPG!!!!!!!!

john
30th April 2003, 11:57 PM
I average about 22MPG normally cos I dont like to drive the way I was told when I was 17 (OK before anyone else says a word....A VERY VERY LONG TIME AGO)

Today I had a 160 mile round trip to make so I thought (yes I can think)

Lets zero the computer and see what MPG I can achieve:)

I managed a very respectable 47MPG I never drove above 65 MPH and drove like my DAD:D:approve::approve:

Wul
1st May 2003, 12:04 AM
It is possible to achieve 99.9mpg - whilst going down hill reset the trip comp and put your foot on the clutch whilst removing your foot from the accelerator! ;)

Not exactly IAM recommended but made me laugh for a millisecond! :p

duncan
1st May 2003, 01:55 AM
My old man has a Golf TDi and it goes past 99.9, it's wierd seeing 137 mpg on the trip computer!

Woz
6th May 2003, 12:49 AM
Dont have the trip comp so had to calc by hand. We got about 41 mpg (ish) on a trip of 315 miles. Most of it on m-ways at speeds between 70-90.

That is in a cooper so I am more than happy with that.:D

GAJ
7th May 2003, 02:52 AM
I have big heavy feet and average well less than 30 MPG most of the time. I can sometimes squeeze into the low 30's if I am mainly out of town and manage to keep the heid with the speed.

I rely on the OBC as I can't do the sums to work it out for myself:)

GAJ
11th April 2004, 11:10 PM
I managed 44.1 mpg on the way back from Glasgow today. That was never exceeding 70mph and accelerating gently. On the way through yesterday i averaged 30mpg but I was late and travelling a wee bit quicker!

Julz
12th April 2004, 03:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by john

I never drove above 65 MPH

Were the police following you?? Otherwise I don't believe you!!;):D:p

DNV122
12th April 2004, 04:59 AM
I once saw 33mpg on mine, but that was a long time ago. My computer has defaulted to numbers in the low 20's - must check the OBC digits are not faulty.....

Ive seen 158mpg on the family wagon.....

Julz
12th April 2004, 03:41 PM
I reset my trip thingy this morning and got a rather healthy 23.5mpg on the way to work!! She must be behaving after discussions with the Purse Strings at the weekend over her replacement!!:eek::(;)

Willie M
12th April 2004, 03:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

''replacement!!''
:eek::eek::eek: Sh..shh..shhhh.. surely NOT!!! :(

Julz
12th April 2004, 04:53 PM
Not for another year or two, but the time will come where we will have to get a 'sensible' family car, and seeing as I'm the only one out of the two of us who craves a car with four doors, it's gotta be me!! Sensible being a Mitsubisssssssshi Evo 6!!:eek::disapprove:

Tahra
14th April 2004, 04:13 PM
Heh heh (Mr Tahra here)...

Julz: Evo is very dull compared to the Cooper. Very fast, but somehow anaesthetised from the fun. Sell the Porker (to me - ten dollah?) and buy a Cayenne Turbo... you know it makes sense... :D

Everyone else: We don' have no steenkin' trip computah. So I dutifully resort to slide-rule and receipts. I think our S manages an easy average of 22 mpg. The best I've seen out of a full tank was 275 miles on Optimax (approx. 25mpg). Never even seen 250 out of 'regular' petroleum vulgaris. 250 miles on a 50 litre tank is around 23mpg. Saying that, had some fun out-manoevering a new 6-series Beemer on the way down to Maybury this morning, with Mrs Tahra clinging on for dear life...

Love and marriage, eh?

Mr Tahra

Willie M
14th April 2004, 05:29 PM

'sensible' family car <snip> Sensible being a Mitsubisssssssshi Evo 6!!:eek::disapprove:
LOL. Yeah, somehow I couldn't imagine you and Rob being too 'sensible' (in the nicest way of course) :D:clown:
Our new neighbours had an Elise and a Scooby Impreza. With a baby on the way they decided they would have to part with one of the cars and keep the most sensible one.
They kept the Elise :D:D

Tahra
14th April 2004, 07:21 PM
I saw that ! Was not clinging on exactly - just wondered why we were hurtling for dear life towards the morning traffic jam at Maybury !!!

Gismo
14th April 2004, 07:35 PM
I get approx 230 miles to a tank :eek:

Julz
14th April 2004, 08:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tahra

Heh heh (Mr Tahra here)...

Julz: Evo is very dull compared to the Cooper. Very fast, but somehow anaesthetised from the fun. Sell the Porker (to me - ten dollah?) and buy a Cayenne Turbo... you know it makes sense... :D

Very dull????? Good god no:eek::eek: what planet are you from?? The car is a hooligan:p have you ever actually driven one??!! And as for a Cayenne Turbo, now that is dull:sleepy: nice but dull, one of our friends has one, and, it's dull:sleepy:!! Why sell a classic 911 and buy an off-roader, we live in a street and don't do off-roading (well, only in other peoples cars!!):approve:

As for MPG, I get approx. 300 miles out of a full tank, and the reading on the pooter says 23.9mpg (on a good day, reset one of the readings last night and managed a healthy 14.2mpg!!:p:approve:)

Gismo
14th April 2004, 09:03 PM
My OBC always tells me i'm getting like 31.7 mpg but i only get 230 miles to the tank, on a good day.

Julz, how do you manage to get 300 miles :question:

Tahra
14th April 2004, 11:30 PM
quote:Why sell a classic 911 and buy an off-roader'Cause I want a purple Porsche!!!!

<Mr Tahra throws rattle out of pram>

Baaaaa waaaaaa haaaaaa haaaaaaaaa....

Been a passenger in an Evo 6 but not driven one (it was always unavailable when I tried to book it). Very quick, very assured but a bit naff. Ugly as sin, far too boy racer and not impressing anyone. Now, the purple Porsche on the other hand... slurp...

Cayenne comment was based upon our convo at the recent meet. Never been in one. Think they're ugly as sin too (but not as far gone as an Evo or Subaru).

Stick with Mini, it may not be quite as quick as an Evo but it's got something the Evo will never, ever have...

Personality

(and lots of cool...)

Mr T.

Julz
14th April 2004, 11:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tahra
far too boy racer and not impressing anyone

UGLY AS SIN????? From the man who, may I quote, from the Hadrians Wall Run, after a rather fetching Maserati came flying past you said, "I thought it was a Mondeo".:eek::blackeye::D

If only a wee boy could afford an Evo let alone insure one, more chance with a mini!! It's up to personal taste I suppose, but I think they're lovely and was actually going to get one when I ordered the S!! They are a drivers car and can be a little cheeky to drive, whereas the mini is a bit simpler.....

And Alan, 300 per tank was what I was getting on Optimax, it dropped to about 250 on Ultimate. My mate at work gets about 300 a tank aswell, if you're only getting 230 with a decent mpg, have you got a hole in your tank??:p My friendly local policeman only gets 22mpg and he is quite a sensible driver, I think each mini has it's own individual drink problem!!:dead::D

euan
15th April 2004, 12:45 AM
I think my mini has a bigger drink problem than George Best...

Julz
15th April 2004, 03:49 PM
Well, I've gotta fill the beast up tonight, so I'll reset everything and see what the results are!! Although thrashing about on an air strip tomorrow might affect the true results a little!!;):D

Gismo
15th April 2004, 03:57 PM
Although thrashing about on an air strip tomorrow might affect the true results a little!!;):DYou not taking your car then ;):p

Fontal
15th April 2004, 04:27 PM

Although thrashing about on an air strip tomorrow might affect the true results a little!!;):D

How true, I was doing it this past weekend and averaged 14.2 mpg(so disapointed not to get to single figures:I)

Did not to bad I got a best time of 17.2 secs for the 1/4

Tahra
15th April 2004, 04:48 PM
Mr T. here...

quote:If only a wee boy could afford an Evo let alone insure oneAw, shucks, you flatter me. The wrong side of 30 and I'm still getting mistaken for a wee boy. Must be the short trousers...

On a serious note, I see plenty folk of around my age (+/-5 years) driving Evos - they're actually quite common in Fife due to the Mitsubishi garage pushing them quite heavily. Almost as common as Scoobys or (dare I say it) Minis... ;) I reckon they're all 'insured' as bog standard common-or-garden Mitsus.... still think they're dull and ugly, but as you say, we all have our own preferences... so...

quote:...from the Hadrians Wall Run, after a rather fetching Maserati came flying past you said, "I thought it was a Mondeo"...Well, it was moving rather quickly past and that particular Maserati had too much of the Bertone and not enough of the Pinanfarina about it. A bit like the Bertones 308GT4 was to Sergio P's subsequent 308GTB - the ugly elder sister who is passed over by all the boys in favour of the more desirable cool and sexy younger sister... I digress (hey, it's early still). I don't particularly care for Maseratis in general - they're a bit oddball, and apparently my boss has one so I dislike it as a matter of principle ;) - but seriously again for a mo' - that particular Mas' was pretty plain jane I thought, hence the comment. Nothing pricks a poseur's bubble than derisory misidentification - especially when said poseur paid far too much for a rather second fiddle marque relative to what he _ought_ to have bought (you may ask and I would say 456GT if you want 'big rapid car with luxury intent' or 355 F1 if you want fun)

Ahhhhh... digression. I'll get me coat...

Mr Tahra

Julz
15th April 2004, 04:57 PM
Next you'll be telling me that you think the new DB9 is ugly!! <wipes drool from chin>:clown:

Tahra
15th April 2004, 05:21 PM
Ah, no, Ted, I'd not go that far... ;)

Duncan Stewart
15th April 2004, 08:58 PM
What you get from a "tank" of petrol rather depends on what you mean by a "tank" 8) <dons professors hat and tries to look intellectual> A mini tank is 50 litres. The manual states the low fuel light comes on when 8 litres are left but I have never managed to get more than 40 litres (about £30) in unless I run with the low fuel light on for a while.
Thus I will quote, more accurately, that I get about 300 miles from 40 litres, approx 34 mpg, mostly done on twisty B roads :D . Here the lesson endeth :approve: 8) :clown: ;)

Gismo
15th April 2004, 09:04 PM
Excellent point, i never ever let mine get too low, i would say that at most i'm putting in about 35 - 40 litres per fill up :I

Tahra
15th April 2004, 09:30 PM
Urm... way more than that... I reckon we put in 42+ each time... but, a good point well made...

When I'm doing my calculations with Professorial hat on, I normally note the number of litres taken to fill the tank to full - i.e. almost coming out the toob, and the distance travelled since the last time I filled the tank thence.

For today's lesson we shall call the number of litres taken to fill the tank "Trane".
Let "Mingus" equal the mileage obtained since last full-fill.
We also define a new value I shall call "Monk" (as I like the word Monk - d'ya get my theme? Nice ;) ) - and "Monk" shall be (approx) 4.55.

So, (Mingus/Trane)*Monk = "Miles" (to the gallon, ho ho ho ;)

Example, children: (250/42)*4.55 gives us a "Miles" value of 27.1mpg (approx.)

Here endeth the lesson.

Professor Tahra (Mr version)

Gismo
15th April 2004, 09:34 PM
Phew, at last, someone posted how to do the conversion, i knew of course and was letting everyone else figure it out :p

Gismo
16th April 2004, 04:11 PM
Ok, had to fill up early, no, not at 6am :evil: didn't have enough fuel to get to Aberdeen and back, so using the formula as supplied by Mr Tahra
172 miles divided by 28 litres x 4.55 = 27.95 mpg :)
I've gotta be happy with that, a combined mixture of town, sprited and motorway driving :)

Julz
19th April 2004, 03:48 PM
Well, my last tank of Optimax produced a mileage of 290 at 24.3mpg!!;) (had my sensible driving bunnett and gloves on at the weekend!!):clown:

Tahra
19th April 2004, 05:06 PM
Julz - Can you tell he's been bored at work lately ??

Gismo
19th April 2004, 05:27 PM
Well, my last tank of Optimax produced a mileage of 290 at 24.3mpg!!;) That equates to around 53.5 litres of fuel, you sure you got your maths right :evil:

Julz
19th April 2004, 05:41 PM
Ain't my maths, I'm going by the OBC!!;)

Gismo
19th April 2004, 06:05 PM

Ain't my maths, I'm going by the OBC!!;)
Ah, well then, i get a healthy 31.7mpg all the time then

Crombers
17th June 2004, 08:53 PM
Filled to the brim last week for wee 'Shoz' s first fill. Driving under 4000rpm (Henry Bros said to go easy for the first 13-1500 miles , is this true ?) I mangaged 250 miles before red light appeared. OBC says I still have a range of 60 miles. HB did say that once car has a few thousand on it it will not only drive slicker but also give better MPG. Anyone else with a new MC have any thoughts as I was a bit miffed at the figures.:(:mad:

GAJ
17th June 2004, 10:09 PM
It is true to keep it below 4000 for the first 1500 miles, it's mentioned in the handbook.

MPG does get better after about 8000 miles. I am getting about 8mpg more now than I did at first, even with my lead boots on!

ny152
17th June 2004, 10:19 PM
I used to only get about 46 mpg. This has now crept steadily up to 51 mpg with 18'000 miles on the clock. Figures are using the obc.

Usually a good mixture of city, motorway and 'spirited' driving :). Quite happy with that from my wee dirty diesel.