PDA

View Full Version : Rear View Mirror Vibration

cat1spot
20th July 2010, 10:57 PM
Hi,
Hoping for some advice. Just got a new cooper diesel (two weeks old) and when its at the 2000 rev mark the rear view mirror vibrates quite a bit - doesn't matter how good the road surface is. It sorts itself again when it goes past the 2000 revs mark. I'm going to take it back to the dealer but wondered if anyone else had a similar problem with their R56 and if it was easily sorted, the mirror has the auto-dimming thing.

The car seems to sit nicely at 2000 revs at 70 so it's a wee bit irritating.

Any help much appreciated,

Vicki

ajamesj
5th August 2010, 09:19 PM
They all seem to be doing it at the moment my 2007 model Cooper D never but my new 2010 model (March built) does I have looked on a few forums and it is becoming a common problem however the guys that have reported it have not got very far. BMW know about it but have not come up with a fix yet. Let me know how you get on my Cooper D has a more worrying clutch problem just now and is going in to get the gearbox dropped and clutch fixed on the 23rd August

Crombers
5th August 2010, 10:04 PM
New Cooper D would assume a wee warranty is in place here :rolleyes:, time for a wee phone call me thinks :thumbs up: if yer no happy :yes nod:

cat1spot
6th August 2010, 08:47 AM
They all seem to be doing it at the moment my 2007 model Cooper D never but my new 2010 model (March built) does I have looked on a few forums and it is becoming a common problem however the guys that have reported it have not got very far. BMW know about it but have not come up with a fix yet. Let me know how you get on my Cooper D has a more worrying clutch problem just now and is going in to get the gearbox dropped and clutch fixed on the 23rd August

Took the car into eastern on wednesday - they're ordering up a new part as they say some sort of ball part is loose in the mirror:thumbs up:. Fingers crossed the new mirror will fix the problem as it was doing my head in - weird that it's only at 2000 revs though. Really liking the diesel but haven't used my sport button yet - if that stiffens the car up it might make the mirror worse.

Will let you know how I get on.

cat1spot
6th August 2010, 08:56 AM
New Cooper D would assume a wee warranty is in place here :rolleyes:, time for a wee phone call me thinks :thumbs up: if yer no happy :yes nod:

No problem - they agreed to fit a new part under warranty no bother. I also had a paint defect in my wheel arch which I had spotted when I was washing the car at the start of the week (the car's first wash:blush:)and this is getting sorted too - new arch to be painted and fitted next week. Here's hoping there's not a third thing!

It was a bit weird though at the dealers - the car was clean and they still put a hose over it.

ianking
6th August 2010, 09:43 AM
I always say to the dealer not to clean the car. The valeters use a sponge and the bucket of soapy water has cleaned the ten cars before yours so is full of grit etc.

N16SHP
6th August 2010, 11:36 AM
I always say to the dealer not to clean the car. The valeters use a sponge and the bucket of soapy water has cleaned the ten cars before yours so is full of grit etc.

Yeah I told JC's not to clean the car as it had a proper 3.5 hour clean on te outside the day before. It was imaculate, and when I picked it up, they'd take a hose to it. I was livid. I went back in and said, at what point does your cleaner not think yeah this car does not need a clean? I was just greated with a blank facial expression....UGH!

Stewart
6th August 2010, 12:03 PM
Really liking the diesel but haven't used my sport button yet - if that stiffens the car up it might make the mirror worse.

I was one of the “this sport button” is a waste of space brigade until I went on some of the Mini runs, especially the Twilight Run (aka) Highland Tour and found it a very nice peace of kit that just made the drive so much better.

Kept pulling out after a stop on the run and if I had forgotten to press it back on after a few miles I was thinking “Whats up with the car it feels wrong”

It’s very subtle with the heavier wheel and sharper response so don’t expect it to turn the car into a rocket ship or really appreciate it about town.

Right I'm away to see if my rear view mirror vibrates at 2000 rev's cant remember if it does.:blush: Good for you getting it fixed.

GCA3N
6th August 2010, 12:59 PM
Took the car into eastern on wednesday - they're ordering up a new part as they say some sort of ball part is loose in the mirror:thumbs up:. Fingers crossed the new mirror will fix the problem as it was doing my head in - weird that it's only at 2000 revs though. Really liking the diesel but haven't used my sport button yet - if that stiffens the car up it might make the mirror worse.

Will let you know how I get on.

I believe the only thing the sport button does is sharpen the throttle response and reduce the power steering making you feel more intouch with the road.(ie feel stiffer) Neither would or should effect vibration. (There may also be a change in the ECU settings, unsure about that though)

cat1spot
6th August 2010, 01:55 PM
I was one of the “this sport button” is a waste of space brigade until I went on some of the Mini runs, especially the Twilight Run (aka) Highland Tour and found it a very nice peace of kit that just made the drive so much better.

Kept pulling out after a stop on the run and if I had forgotten to press it back on after a few miles I was thinking “Whats up with the car it feels wrong”

It’s very subtle with the heavier wheel and sharper response so don’t expect it to turn the car into a rocket ship or really appreciate it about town.

Right I'm away to see if my rear view mirror vibrates at 2000 rev's cant remember if it does.:blush: Good for you getting it fixed.

Unless you never looked in your mirror you'd know if you had it -it was like going over the bumpiest road surface you can think of multiplied by at least 10 . Will take the car for a wee shot up the M90 tomorrow and give the sport button a try to see what it's like.:thumbs up:

cat1spot
6th August 2010, 02:03 PM

Yeah I told JC's not to clean the car as it had a proper 3.5 hour clean on te outside the day before. It was imaculate, and when I picked it up, they'd take a hose to it. I was livid. I went back in and said, at what point does your cleaner not think yeah this car does not need a clean? I was just greated with a blank facial expression....UGH!

Maybe I was lucky and they really did only throw a hose over it as it had only gone about 10 miles or so since it was washed and the black wheels weren't even dusty. I'll know for next time - they did manage to hoover it ok though!

Stewart
6th August 2010, 02:05 PM
Not really a motorway thing, more a twisty road I think. After hours of driving in the highlands trying to keep up with the other Mini's you get to appreciate it.

cat1spot
6th August 2010, 02:14 PM
I believe the only thing the sport button does is sharpen the throttle response and reduce the power steering making you feel more intouch with the road.(ie feel stiffer) Neither would or should effect vibration. (There may also be a change in the ECU settings, unsure about that though)

Ok will give it a go but if the mirror falls off its your fault:smilewinkgrin:

The steering feeling heavier would be quite good, even after a year and a half of mini driving I still find the steering quite light, but thats after five years of driving a streetka so anything would be light after that -it was a neat wee car with steering similar to a bus.

ajamesj
11th August 2010, 09:09 PM
I have called the garage so when my Dooper is in getting the clutch fixed (23rd August)they are to check the mirror aswell the service adviser is contacting mini and ordering parts for the mirror if they have a fix for it so when it goes in on the 23rd they can replace it to save me a return visit

P.S how you liking the sports button Vicki

cat1spot
11th August 2010, 10:52 PM
I have called the garage so when my Dooper is in getting the clutch fixed (23rd August)they are to check the mirror aswell the service adviser is contacting mini and ordering parts for the mirror if they have a fix for it so when it goes in on the 23rd they can replace it to save me a return visit

P.S how you liking the sports button Vicki

Not tried it yet as I wasn't out in the car at the weekend and my normal journey to work is all dual carriageway. The mirror's getting replaced on Friday (along with a new coded arch) so I'll let you know if it's fixes the problem.

What was up with your clutch?

ajamesj
19th August 2010, 08:45 PM
There is resistance in the foot pedal of the clutch and the last part of travel the pedal creaks and squeeks it is supposed to be a known fault on 2009 builds and is something to do with the clutch slave cylinder which is mounted on or in gearbox. Not long till it goes in now this coming Monday

Andy

GCA3N
19th August 2010, 09:10 PM
hope it all gets sorted dude.

cat1spot
20th August 2010, 11:42 AM
After visiting the dealer last week:

I have a nice new wheel arch :thumbs up: and a mirror that still vibrates :sad:. I'm a wee bit hacked off - they couldn't have taken it for a test drive or they'd have noticed.

At least with removing the dealer sticker and replacing it with a new red NMS one on the back window it's not so noticable. Car going back to dealer on the 30th for another look to see if they can fix it.

Andy - Good luck with yours on the 23rd, your clutch must be really annoying, mirror vibration being pretty minor in comparison - there's always wing mirrors!

Vicki