PDA

View Full Version : ebay fees

GCA3N
20th July 2010, 10:07 PM
As some of you know I sold my wheels on ebay recently. I sold them for £350. When I placed the add it cost me £5-ish. When I sold the wheels I had to pay £16 ie £334 went into my paypal account. I now have been emailed to say another £39 in VAT, totalling £61 to sell my wheels, is this a b£$$%y rip off or what, I am raging now. Is this normal fees for sales of this amount?:argh::argh::argh:

Scottie
20th July 2010, 10:36 PM
yeah Ebay take final value fee i.e £350 would be approx £35+ then you have your paypal fees from paypal.

It's the price you pay for getting the wheels advertised to millions of people. Ebay clearly state what their final value fees are, did you read the terms before posting your wheels? Another way to think about it is at least you sold your wheels without putting them in ebay I don't think you would have sold them tbh.

I know I think the same rip off ebay but what can we do. Actually when I think about it a small ad in the Scottish Farmer roughly costs between £30 to £40 so not that much difference only thing is no payal fees.

AndyP & Lenore
20th July 2010, 11:36 PM
I gave up selling on eBay a while ago. Far too expensive. Prefer good old NMS for selling anything these days. With NMS you (usually) know the buyer, and there's a comfort layer there.

I'm even weary of buying anything on eBay worth more than £20 or £30. I just don't trust anyone these days on eBay. Last year I tried to buy some winter alloys and that went pear shaped after I paid for them. Never got the wheels but I got my money back from the seller. About £300 or £400 ish too. :(

A.

GCA3N
20th July 2010, 11:38 PM
I have to say fees aside I have used eBay now for 6/7 years or so and so far only been stung 2 or 3 times.

Stewart
21st July 2010, 12:17 AM
Never sold a thing on E-bay but my friend sells lots of stuff from rare engines and parts to every day items and was just saying the other day when I joked “ you’ve E-bay it then” nah far to expensive he’d Gumtree’d a Boat of all things and it went really fast.

Certainly a heads up on Fee’s there. I’ve spent probably just over a grand on E-bay but never been stung once, but its usually lower price items.

Gismo
21st July 2010, 07:36 AM
You can help reduce the fees by listing a low start price, but, generally the fees are quite high, i prefer to use eBay when i can't sell something, at least this way you are almost certain of a sale.
I sold all my Bowie stuff when i moved to the USA, sad to see it all go, but, made a good return on my investments after payign the fees

Ferengo
21st July 2010, 11:52 AM
Yeah ebay are charging a lot now. I buy and sell guitars all the time. They're usually around £500-£1000 so if I were to sell one at £1000 then ebay takes £100 (10%), then paypal comes along and takes 3% of the £1000.

There are ways around it. For instance when the buyer is happy then send them an email asking them to cancel the transaction. This returns the fees to the seller.

Ebay is now very safe to use as long as you use paypal as the payment you are fully protected. If you're not 100% satisfied then complain, if not to the seller then ebay. I have and got either money off, a return or even twice I got to keep the item and a full refund (£250 & £360 items!!!).

I recently bought a guitar for £325 from a shop on ebay. It was advertised as being in mint condition except for a chunk out of the body. This didn;t bother me so I bought it. A week later nothing had arrived so I emailed. Next day nothing so I emailed again. Got a reply saying that they hadn't expected the guitar to sell so fast (Rubish but hey) and that it would be sent out that day for next day delivery. Next day nothing, day after nowt and day after that the same. I emailed again and got no reply, so again I emailed. The reply I got was just a tracking number that stated in progress. Next I said I no longer wanted the guitar. I was advised it would arrive the day after. I just said no I'll return it. the guitar arrived and the shop hadn't mentioned it had a huge scrape on it and another chunk out of the back.

I opened a dispute and returned the guitar. The seller got it back within 24hrs (Took them 12 days to get it to me). I emailed the seller saying can I have a refund now I see you have signed for it. No reply. So I emailed again, still no reply. The guitar then appeared back on ebay so I called the shop. I said that I was interested in the guitar. The guy was like yeah it's awesome, I replied can I have my refund now. Guy said we're moving the money around you'll have it on sat. Posted this in the dispute and the seller went nuts, refusing to refund me until sunday as he felt I was a bad customer. I left him negative feedback and he went even more mental saying I shouldn;t have done that. I mean he was with holding my money just because he could.

Anyway I got my money back and bought a better one, but I never worried once as I was fully protected and ebay backed me up on it.

Big Gordy
21st July 2010, 01:03 PM
or even twice I got to keep the item and a full refund (£250 & £360 items

Aye don't remind us.... :ragin::p

Gismo
21st July 2010, 01:07 PM
There are ways around it. For instance when the buyer is happy then send them an email asking them to cancel the transaction. This returns the fees to the sellerSo how does that protect the buyer or seller assuming you then sell outwith eBay?

Ferengo
21st July 2010, 02:36 PM
So how does that protect the buyer or seller assuming you then sell outwith eBay?

It doesn't. You would sell within Ebay and once the buyer is happy with the item you cancel the transaction. So the buyer is protected up until they agree to cancel, but by that point they are happy with the item anyway.

Just for the record I have only done this twice. Once for an item I bought and the other for an item I sold but we weren;t going to go through with it then cancelled and decided after that to do it.

Ferengo
21st July 2010, 02:37 PM
Aye don't remind us.... :ragin::p

Lol. I also got a fiver voucher for the trouble with the guitar from ebay. ;)

Big Gordy
21st July 2010, 08:51 PM
Sheeeesh:thud:

AndyP & Lenore
21st July 2010, 09:52 PM
.......... So I emailed again, still no reply. The guitar then appeared back on ebay so I called the shop. I said that I was interested in the guitar. The guy was like yeah it's awesome, I replied can I have my refund now.....

Good call dude.:thumbs up:

A.:D