PDA

View Full Version : Too Many Movies

AndyP & Lenore
20th July 2010, 09:37 PM
See the frikking World Cup... Because of this, the distributors all held their films back for two months, releasing a pile o rubbish no-one wanted to see or just a couple of girly films - Sex & The City, anyone? Now the English kids are off for their hols and the World Cup is over there is a glut of films out and we don't have enough screens to show them all.:frown:

Anyone know a good joiner that could build me a couple of screens by the end of the week?:confused:

A.:D

zimbo
21st July 2010, 12:05 AM
Im waiting to see the "A-Team" :popcorn::clap: and there is probably a few more that i cant remember right now...

stoney
21st July 2010, 12:09 AM
Going to see predators this week and watched inglorious basterds the night cracking film :-)

Gismo
21st July 2010, 07:31 AM
Im waiting to see the "A-Team" :popcorn::clap:

Watched that last month, legally, some good parts and of course the effects are brilliant

LightningStevie
21st July 2010, 08:41 AM
I went to see Inception. That has to be one of the best films ever! Utterly brilliant from start to finish, a must see at the cinema!

euan
21st July 2010, 10:41 AM
We've not been to the cinema in ages (kids do that to you...) but have watched some stuff we recorded in recent weeks. Finally watched Slumdog Millionaire at the weekend, that was fantatsic, and also watched In The Loop which was very good as well. Still got The Flying Scotsman, Road to Perdition, United 93, and some of the old Beatles films to go.

I can't make up my mind about The A-Team, the trailer looks great but it's easy to make any film look good in 30 seconds! Toy Story 3 I'll no doubt end up watching, I gather it's aimed more at the adults anyway, and Inception I'm looking forward to as well.

Anyone seen City Island? Looks to be fairly decent as well, the new Andy Garcia film.

Doug_m
21st July 2010, 11:06 AM
Inception and the expendables which is gd cause it's out on my bday so the gf can pay it :)

And Andy, am a joiner but ur demands are ridiculous :L

Ferengo
21st July 2010, 11:34 AM
Going to see Predators tonight :thumbs up:

N16SHP
21st July 2010, 11:46 AM
I'm buzzing about Toy Story, my favourite film of the 90's, and is now coming out in 3D! I've always been a sucker for Pixar films, probably due to what i've studied, i'm sure Baz is much the same

Big Gordy
21st July 2010, 12:59 PM
Think we're going to see Toy Story 3 tonight as part of Ross' birthday treat :yes nod:

Crombers
21st July 2010, 03:42 PM
See the frikking World Cup...

:shut up: Y'see at this point I switched off .................................................. ...... :moonie:

:hand:

AndyP & Lenore
21st July 2010, 09:41 PM
Inception and the expendables which is gd cause it's out on my bday so the gf can pay it :)

And Andy, am a joiner but ur demands are ridiculous :L

Typical tradesman. Only thing missing was you drawing your breath in over your teeth. lol.:laugh:

Expendables looks 2 hours of mindless violence and cheesy dialogue. Bring it on! lol.

Inception is on our list to watch, but nae idea when.

AndyP & Lenore
21st July 2010, 09:42 PM
:shut up: Y'see at this point I switched off .................................................. ...... :moonie:

:hand:
:popcorn::yes nod:

AndyP & Lenore
21st July 2010, 09:45 PM
Going to see Predators tonight :thumbs up:

I'm buzzing about Toy Story, my favourite film of the 90's, and is now coming out in 3D! I've always been a sucker for Pixar films, probably due to what i've studied, i'm sure Baz is much the same

Think we're going to see Toy Story 3 tonight as part of Ross' birthday treat :yes nod:

Let me know what you think of the films folks. And Gordy, be honest now and tell me if you cry.:yes nod:

Toy Story 3 is deffo on our list too, but again, too busy selling :popcorn: to watch any movies.

Stewart
21st July 2010, 10:02 PM
Do you never get a chance to watch the Films then, thought they would have to screen new films to make sure they were ok before showing to the public.

Just always thought when a new film came in you’d settle down and enjoy while the cleaners were in the other screens etc.

AndyP & Lenore
21st July 2010, 10:29 PM
All you say makes sense, and all I can say is "I wish."

The cleaners tend to start at 5am when we're tucked up in bed. After a really busy day they start at 1.30PM and work through the night - such is the mess after the building has been hammered by a thousand customers.

We'd love to "rehearse" prints. And we're supposed to, but because of piracy and print security measures the films often only arrive the day before they are due to start. Shrek in 2D arrived Monday at 11.30am. Was on screen at 1.30pm same day.

Occasionally we get the print in with enough time to organise a staff show at 11pm after we've closed for the day. But it must be a year since we've been able to do that.

More often than not, Lenore and I watch any films we want to see in a competitor cinema somewhere. Gives us an opportunity to keep an eye on the competition, and also not be sat there thinking.. "enjoying this film, but I forgot to send that email so I'll just nip out and do that."

You may think we're nuts, and you'd be right, but... hey ho.

Stewart
21st July 2010, 10:57 PM
That’s knocked my dreamy notion of running a Cinema right out the Window :smilewinkgrin: but the reality is probably more about phone calls chasing people and E-mails and staffing and accounts and fixing a million and one problems rather than having your own Film Fest.

But I understand what your saying, when you go to see a film you want to switch off and enjoy and not have Tom , Dick or Harry tell you that’s the phone in the other room.

AndyP & Lenore
21st July 2010, 11:23 PM
Stewart, you got all the above absolutely spot on.

If we spent as much time watching films as we do carpet cleaning, staff meetings, ordering confectionery, putting said confectionery away, bookkeeping, preparing advertising, financial planning, arranging insurance, meetings - meetings - meetings, paying bills, film scheduling meetings, oh and actually serving customers.... I'm sure I'd be much less grumpy.:yes nod:

But hey, we've been doing this for 29 years so it's second nature to us these days.:D:D

stoney
21st July 2010, 11:41 PM
well just back from Predators good film just not as good as i expected it to be did not make me jump enuf if you know what i mean

Doug_m
22nd July 2010, 12:05 AM
Typical tradesman. Only thing missing was you drawing your breath in over your teeth. lol.:laugh:

:o
Glad I'm not in "the building trade"
Fitting out boats we don't have to put up with silly deadlines so don't say things through our teeth...
Oh wait a minute, that boat needs to be away to sea tomorrow, got 4 hours to do the job :( it's a 8 hour job, WTF!? LOL

Stewart
22nd July 2010, 01:10 AM
Dug you'll know about that bucket of sand then with the sea trials....lol it makes me feel better knowing that there is one on board.

Ferengo
22nd July 2010, 01:08 PM
Ok, Predators is awesome.

stoney
22nd July 2010, 03:08 PM
Ok, Predators is awesome.

realy was not scary enuf i did not think good film tho

Big Gordy
22nd July 2010, 04:00 PM
such is the mess after the building has been hammered by a thousand customers

:sheep: At 5 quid a scull no wonder you can run 3 exotic motors and holiday in Florida twice a year.................:thud::moonie:

Big Gordy
22nd July 2010, 04:03 PM
And Gordy, be honest now and tell me if you cry.:yes nod:

Change of plan and didn't go to see it :frown: Hopefully next week:thumbs up: but if its got a soppy ending I'll maybe no bother :argh: I want to laugh not cry:rolleyes:

AndyP & Lenore
22nd July 2010, 09:09 PM
:sheep: At 5 quid a scull no wonder you can run 3 exotic motors and holiday in Florida twice a year.................:thud::moonie:

Uh hu. But are you forgetting the days we have 17 in all day across four screens and eight performances?

But you're right, we've more money than the queen. That's why our blue MINI is over three years old, our red MINI is five years old and our beemer is 3 years old.

The reason we can afford all these older exotic cars and holidays is because we've no kids, we don't smoke, we don't drink and we've no other expensive hobbies or habits.

In other words, gerritrightupya!:moonie:

Delboy
22nd July 2010, 10:49 PM
Uh hu. But are you forgetting the days we have 17 in all day across four screens and eight performances?

But you're right, we've more money than the queen. That's why our blue MINI is over three years old, our red MINI is five years old and our beemer is 3 years old.

The reason we can afford all these older exotic cars and holidays is because we've no kids, we don't smoke, we don't drink and we've no other expensive hobbies or habits.

In other words, gerritrightupya!:moonie:

http://smileydatabase.com/s/490.gif

Big Gordy
23rd July 2010, 07:53 AM

Well you never mentioned that did you :moonie:

That's why our blue MINI is over three years old, our red MINI is five years old and our beemer is 3 years old.

Our red MINI and my blue Audi are both over 7 years old :hand:

we've no other expensive hobbies or habits..

What about all those expensive watches then huh:popcorn:

I'm sorry but I still think you and Neil are movie moguls to rival MGM :smilewinkgrin:

AndyP & Lenore
23rd July 2010, 09:44 AM
I'm sorry but I still think you and Neil are movie moguls to rival MGM :smilewinkgrin:

Nah, we're much richer and more successful than MGM.:moonie: They've just gone bust for the umpteenth time, and this time a buyer is not going to be as easy to find. All production on the next Bond film has stopped until they sort out the mess.

zimbo
23rd July 2010, 01:36 PM
Whens "Cars 2" coming out Mr Movie Mogul?

AndyP & Lenore
23rd July 2010, 02:11 PM
Whens "Cars 2" coming out Mr Movie Mogul?

Think its July next year.:thumbs up:

Gismo
11th August 2010, 03:53 AM
Hmm, went to see Inception tonight, not my kind of movie, having to sit for 2-1/2 hours trying to work out what was real and what was fantasy, bring on the Expendables

AndyP & Lenore
11th August 2010, 10:16 AM
Hmm, went to see Inception tonight, not my kind of movie, having to sit for 2-1/2 hours trying to work out what was real and what was fantasy, bring on the Expendables

PMSL. Inception was a damn fine movie, but it was a thinker, that's for sure. Head out for a pee mid-way through at your peril.:confused::confused:

Expendables looks like a riot. Looking forward to that.:thumbs up:

Craig
11th August 2010, 11:35 AM
Aye expendables is my kinda movie..... I like to be entertained I don't like to have to think about the movie ;)

Gismo
11th August 2010, 02:53 PM
Aye expendables is my kinda movie..... I like to be entertained I don't like to have to think about the movie ;):thumbs up:

Big Gordy
11th August 2010, 03:50 PM
Well finally got round to seeing Toy Story 3 :rolleyes: Great film :thumbs up: Loved the bits where Buzz goes Spanish.......hilariously funny:laugh: And for the record Andy....I didn't cry :moonie::smilewinkgrin: I nearly burst out greetin when I realised how much it was to get in too see it 3D tho....does that count..??