PDA

View Full Version : Braking system upgrade

Sheilz
6th July 2004, 08:41 PM
Can anyone tell me if its possible to upgrade an ordinary braking system - only abs - to asc-t, dsc or similar? I have new car ordered with dsc but am seriously thinking of cancelling the order if I can upgrade Hamish. I had a slight mishap with a bumper last night. Instead of replacing it with another ordinary bumper I'm thinking of putting on the aerodynamic kit. I also have been indulging my addiction to him and have gone over my agreed milage for trade in price. hence I might be as well just forking out on Hamish and not let JC take me to the cleaners. Besides I'm beginning to feel a traitor getting rid of one of the family. :(:question: Help!

Gismo
6th July 2004, 09:44 PM
Sheilz, ABS is the main braking assistance you can get for your car, DSC aids you for driver error during spirited cornering ;)
ASC-t is more for keeping traction on the road as you accelerate and will apply the brakes whilst reducing power from the engine under certain circumstances.

Maybe i misunderstood your question, but, i guess all of the above apply the brakes in their own right :I

GAJ
6th July 2004, 11:29 PM
Sheilz, I think the simple answer is no! I think that ASC and DSC both have to be specified at build time and can't be added later on.

Starky
7th July 2004, 02:37 AM
Might be wrong here but I think I read somewhere you cant have ASC+T AND DSC both, you have to deselect one or the other from the options list.

3GGG
7th July 2004, 05:36 AM
DSC includes ASC+T (all on the one switch).

Sheilz
7th July 2004, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the replies. JC got back to me today to advice that its impossible to add asc-t or dsc. Cooper works have also confirmed that neither is necessary for the tuning kit. I also had good news on the car front. Matt at JC has made allowance for my addiction and will not penalize me for being over mileage for trade-in so the new car is still on the cards and ought to arrive in first few days of August. I just have to try and keep it reasonable. What is reasonable! :D:D

Gismo
7th July 2004, 06:24 AM
Sheilz, are you considering the cooper works kit or the S???
EVO did a shootout a while ago that featured 9 MINI's, one of which was a cooper works, the results were not that impressive over a standard cooper.

A lot of people have moved up to the S because they believe the cooper does not take kindly to mods :(

Sheilz
7th July 2004, 06:35 AM
I was thinking about the works kit for the cooper. I read that it only improves top speed by about 4 to 6 mph. Would I be right in thinking that similar, if not better results can be achieved with bigger wheels? The loons wanted me to get an s but I was concerned incase the insurance or fuel consumption would be excessive. This is my second new car in three months. I had to justify it on grounds of comfort(seats) and safety (dsc)especially for when the kids are in the car. I think I've got away with it though the grin raises some suspicion.:D:D:D:D

GAJ
7th July 2004, 06:59 AM
Sheilz, bigger wheels wont make it go any faster unfortunately. The Works kit for the Cooper is expensive and according to the magazine review that BS refers to isnae much cop! I haven't driven one and don't know anyone that has though so it's hard to say for sure.
I suppose you aren't really looking for an increase in top speed (the Cooper will do about 125 according to official figures and it is possible to have the speedo read over 130, allegedly, and on a 'private road';), should be fast enough for you!) but rather an increase in power below 4000RPM for a bit more pull without having to really boot it. Unfortunately the magazine said that the Works Cooper was slower than the standard Cooper but I find this hard to believe. Have you asked about a test drive in a Works Cooper?

Sheilz
7th July 2004, 07:37 AM
No I haven't. To be truthful I didn't think to:I. The works kit is expensive and I dont think I've heard anything that would make me want to spend that kind of money. Intially I was going to put it in Hamish. Since it didnt come into the comfort or safety zone I couldnt justify it, not with the straightest of faces. I work with a chap who has had a longterm relationship with minis and he did say that the bigger wheels would mean less revs for the same speed on mini with standard wheels. I've justified this to the family on the grounds of less wear and tear on the engine - wont need a new one so quickly!