PDA

View Full Version : JCW Steering Wheel

ianking
8th July 2010, 10:58 AM
Ive fancied getting one of these Alcantara JCW steering wheels for ages and after seeing the Fossys one in the WC50 the other week I went and ordered one.

Its a bit annoying as my Factory JCW missed getting one as standard by about 3 months.

Anyway Dave at JC done me a right good price.
Got home at 8.30pm last night to find it had been delivered so decided to nip out and fit it.
The whole job including disconnecting the battery and taking a couple pics took 15 mins. Its an absolute doddle so if anyone wants an R55, 56, 57 steering wheel changed Im happy to do it for an ice cream.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/ianking82/wheeloff.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/ianking82/wheelon1.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/ianking82/wheelon2.jpg

Only driven the car the short distance to work but it feels much nicer.

zimbo
8th July 2010, 11:04 AM
Very nice Ian, and yes they are very nice to get to grips with... :yes nod:

RyanK
8th July 2010, 11:24 AM
Love these, nice addition!

Want one myself after using Ben's car with the full leather JCW

GCA3N
8th July 2010, 11:40 AM
very nice Ian. Tell me can you retrofit the multifunction steering wheel ? obviously as mine is the standard cooper S one. Also how much are these for just the standard JCW without multifunction capability.

Mini Ecosse
8th July 2010, 11:46 AM
Very nice Ian, and yes they are very nice to get to grips with... :yes nod:

Ditto

Doug_m
8th July 2010, 12:05 PM
Love these, nice addition!

Want one myself after using Ben's car with the full leather JCW

Bens r50? He have one?

Burple
8th July 2010, 12:16 PM
Have to agree with you there Ian, it's high on my list of favourite things in the new car!! :cool::cool::cool: :thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

Looks awesome too!

Just need to give mine a wee clean next to try and get it back to 'as new(ish)' :thumbs up:

Mon the fish
8th July 2010, 12:22 PM
Got one for my R53, it's been sat in it's box for 2 months whilst I pluck up the courage to fit it...

It is really that easy?

Livi
8th July 2010, 12:40 PM
Looks very nice Ian, as i said when you text me, it feels soo nice compared to the leather.

Glad it got to you quickly aswell :thumbs up:

Thanks Ian :D

Forbes
8th July 2010, 01:19 PM
Bens r50? He have one?
Yup

ianking
8th July 2010, 03:06 PM
Its an absolute doddle to fit. Even AndyP could do it :p:p

Ewan, your car must have had if fitted after as well as yours is an 08 plate as well is it not.

ianking
8th July 2010, 03:11 PM
very nice Ian. Tell me can you retrofit the multifunction steering wheel ? obviously as mine is the standard cooper S one. Also how much are these for just the standard JCW without multifunction capability.

Dont know about retro fitting multi finction, best to ask Mikey if that can be done.

My car has multi function so you just change the buttons and holders over instead of buying the JCW carbon covers. The covers are optional as they dont come with the wheel. I only bought the bottom one as didnt want to do away with my buttons.

Mon the fish
8th July 2010, 03:22 PM
It's putting a screwdriver in behind the airbag that bothers me- seems a bit of a faff

ianking
8th July 2010, 03:31 PM
With the R56 you put an allen key in the wee hole and that releases the bag.

With the R50,53 do you have to make a wee slit in the indented bit of the bag at the back then release it by putting the screwdriver in???

Gismo
8th July 2010, 03:55 PM
With the R50,53 do you have to make a wee slit in the indented bit of the bag at the back then release it by putting the screwdriver in???Correct, though not a slit, sounds bad having to pierce the outer layer, but, it's invisible given it's location

KenL
8th July 2010, 05:00 PM
Looks lovely. I fancy one of those, but I imagine they are pricey - especially when I am after new golf irons!

Burple
8th July 2010, 05:02 PM
Ewan, your car must have had if fitted after as well as yours is an 08 plate as well is it not.

Yip.. July 08... guessing it was the same owner who bunged on the Carbon scoop, handbrake lever, JCW side scuttles and strut brace :thumbs up::cool::cool:

Burple
8th July 2010, 05:03 PM
Looks lovely. I fancy one of those, but I imagine they are pricey - especially when I am after new golf irons!

Stuff the golf bats ;)... you'll have waaaaay more fun with the Alcantara wheel! ;):thumbs up::D:D

Scottie
8th July 2010, 05:56 PM
There is a good DIY guide over on TM on how to change the steering wheel over.

I like mine and really missed it when I was driving with the normal steering wheel on.

If I had my time again I would buy the leather one without the alcantara.

AndyP & Lenore
8th July 2010, 06:00 PM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/ianking82/wheeloff.jpg

Its an absolute doddle to fit. Even AndyP could do it :p:p

Looked at the pic, then Ian's post and, I'm sorry, but I can't stop laughing.:lol::lol::lol:

However, nice job Ian, looks the muts nuts.:yes nod:

A.:D

audrey
8th July 2010, 11:19 PM
Looks fab :thumbs up:

Stewart
9th July 2010, 09:42 AM
If it got to the pic above (First pic) I’d have walked back into the house and said thats it the cars broken I’ll need to buy a new one. :blush:

New wheel looks very nice.

GCA3N
9th July 2010, 10:23 AM
If it got to the pic above (First pic) I’d have walked back into the house and said thats it the cars broken I’ll need to buy a new one. :blush:

New wheel looks very nice.

Be honest Stewart you nearly did that for the side indicators :laugh: :lol:

Stewart
9th July 2010, 10:40 AM
Here when you pulled off the side scuttle thing I thought I took it well:smilewinkgrin:......Half the battle is knowing how it comes off. Anyway I knew you'd be good for a new Cooper if it had snapped.:thumbs up:

I’m sure Andy P is the same, we appreciate what you guys do but its not for us….its like that Father Ted episode were he buys a car for the raffle and attempts to fix a small dent and it started with him with a Hammer and goes back to him with a hammer and the car is trashed:thumbs up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVXMLZtZubg&has_verified=1

3 mis 45 sec...:smilewinkgrin: after all the adds.:argh:

AeroJonny
9th July 2010, 06:01 PM
if i were to buy another jcw wheel, I'd go for the all leather version as the alcantara's all worn down on mine now.

Livi
9th July 2010, 10:27 PM
if i were to buy another jcw wheel, I'd go for the all leather version as the alcantara's all worn down on mine now.

If i remember correct, these are NLA now

AeroJonny
10th July 2010, 06:48 PM
no longer available?

if that for both generations?

Mon the fish
11th July 2010, 01:44 PM
The alcantara one for the R53 is still available, but they are scarce

Livi
12th July 2010, 10:09 AM
R53 Leather is NLA
R56 Leather is Available for the meantime.

AeroJonny
12th July 2010, 04:15 PM
does anyone know where i could get my alcantara one retrimmed or even a replacement cover? i'm tempted to stick with the alcantara

GCA3N
22nd August 2010, 08:52 PM
Ian have you got the JCW gear knob and hand brake yet?

ianking
22nd August 2010, 10:31 PM
Ian have you got the JCW gear knob and hand brake yet?

No as I dont really like the gear knob so I never thought it was worth getting the handbrake on its own. Plus the factory JCW has the red numerals on the gear know so is all ready that wee bit different

GCA3N
22nd August 2010, 11:29 PM
No as I dont really like the gear knob so I never thought it was worth getting the handbrake on its own. Plus the factory JCW has the red numerals on the gear know so is all ready that wee bit different

Got to say I love the gear knob never liked the normal tbh. Know what u mean though about the red bits though. The sales guy was laughing at me when I picked the car up as while he nipped back to get something I swapped over the original one for the carbon fibre one. Quickest mod in history hadn't even driven the car off the forecourt yet :lol:

Any plans for urs in the near future?

ianking
23rd August 2010, 08:11 AM
Only plans for mine is that it will be getting traded in next year when the warranty runs out.

I dont think there is any need to change anything as it looks and goes well.