PDA

View Full Version : IPhone 4G - Any reviews of one from you guys?

Wul
7th July 2010, 09:13 AM
OK - so in the next few months my contract with T-Mobile will be up and giving serious thought to coughing up for an Iphone 4G. Done all the searching on MSE so up to speed with the cheapest contracts/ PAYG options etc.

But just wondered if anyone on here had one and what you think of it?

Cheers

GCA3N
7th July 2010, 12:03 PM
Needs some time to sort out the bugs so if your waiting a few months then it should be sorted. As an option HTC desire very very good phone and cheaper than iphone.

The Dogfather
7th July 2010, 01:00 PM
Not a big enough step over the 3GS to justify a upgrade but less buggy than the HTC and X10

Fartin Martin
7th July 2010, 01:28 PM
Im getting mine next week hopefully! so shall let you know! :D

Barry has one so he'll be along soon!! :D

Crombers
7th July 2010, 02:31 PM
Acht feck !!!

Here's me trying to keep up with technology with the 3GS (& I MEAN trying............:rolleyes:)

& they go & bring out a better one

Bazthemod
7th July 2010, 03:20 PM
I love mine, so much slicker than the 3G and faster too. HD filming is awesome feature and the camera is much improved.

Don't see the point in waiting on the bugs getting fixed? There is only a signal issue that may or may not be fixed with a software update but mines never drops a call even when bridging the gap on the casings.

I think people see the bars dropping rapidly and get shocked... then they scaremonger and create a mountain out of a molehill!

Its worth the jump as an upgrade or like me i paid 40 quid to get out my contract.

However i am biased as i get 30% discount on the phone and tariff lol

GCA3N
7th July 2010, 03:23 PM
I love mine, so much slicker than the 3G and faster too. HD filming is awesome feature and the camera is much improved.

Don't see the point in waiting on the bugs getting fixed? There is only a signal issue that may or may not be fixed with a software update but mines never drops a call even when bridging the gap on the casings.

I think people see the bars dropping rapidly and get shocked... then they scaremonger and create a mountain out of a molehill!

Its worth the jump as an upgrade or like me i paid 40 quid to get out my contract.

However i am biased as i get 30% discount on the phone and tariff lol

I have the 3GS baz and I have found a massive difference now on the 4os software. Is there a big jump again to the 4 from the 3GS.

Bazthemod
7th July 2010, 03:44 PM
I went from 3G so can't really comment mate... I would say its almost worth it for the camera tho! It also has more ram than the 3G/s also the battery is slightly better.

RyanK
7th July 2010, 04:14 PM
:p

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2010/07/500x_4764273405_396564c798_b_01.jpg

(no hater) gonna buy one lol

Bazthemod
7th July 2010, 04:21 PM
Haha I like it!

The Dogfather
7th July 2010, 05:41 PM
The only real differences between the 3GS (running iOS4) and the 4G are the camera and the screen, if you use the camera especially indoor then it might be worth upgrading from a 3GS otherwise I doubt you'd notice enough difference.

Stewart
7th July 2010, 06:31 PM
I take it there will be a drop on just the 3Gs phones, considering I’m using a Nokia E63 it would be a new toy to me and a massive jump. I’m not that bothered about the camera. Although if the deals are right in a few months I might get the new one.

I see the internet is not unlimited giving a 1 GB for the month on the contracts I've seen...

What deals are you getting? Baz 30% off sounds good.

Bazthemod
7th July 2010, 07:13 PM
Ahh the screen is super sexy actually... go have a look at one in the shop and open text messages or anything with text infact... it will blow you away!

I get 30% off as a staff offer... Dixons used to own 'The Link' which was sold to o2

Im on the £50 p/m tariff but comes down to £35 with discount.

jdl_1967
7th July 2010, 08:23 PM
iPhone 4 is just so much nicer to hold! It feels more solid and substantial.

I moved from a 3G and the difference is huge, I installed iOS4 on my 3G before selling it to make way for my 4. DO NOT do it, my 3G became so slow, apps froze, it just couldn't cope.

As for the best deal, Tesco do a 12 month contract at £20 a month for 250 minutes, unlimited texts and 1GB of data, with the phone costing £349. They also do a £35 a month 12 month contract for heavier use. 12 months is great as Apple will have a new version by then so you can upgrade without the need to buy yourself out of a contract.

Finally, yes it does drop out if you hold it wrongly.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

GAJ
7th July 2010, 10:31 PM
The only real differences between the 3GS (running iOS4) and the 4G are the camera and the screen, if you use the camera especially indoor then it might be worth upgrading from a 3GS otherwise I doubt you'd notice enough difference.

The main difference is the completely different processor architecture. In the same way that the 3G cannot run iOS 4, we will see more and more apps which will only run on the new A4 processor. It has started to happen already with iMovie.

Delboy
7th July 2010, 10:40 PM
As for the best deal, Tesco do a 12 month contract at £20 a month for 250 minutes, unlimited texts and 1GB of data, with the phone costing £349.

What a bargain for a mobile phone.......:Whistle::thud:

The Dogfather
8th July 2010, 12:50 AM
The main difference is the completely different processor architecture. In the same way that the 3G cannot run iOS 4, we will see more and more apps which will only run on the new A4 processor. It has started to happen already with iMovie.

But for the layman, would they actually see that?

GAJ
8th July 2010, 09:05 AM
Absolutely! In the same way that a lot of people with the 3 initially claimed that the 3G was not anough of a performance hike, and that the 3 was fast enough for them - only to buy a 3G a couple of months later.

New software is coded for current models - sometimes it will run on older hardware without problems, often it will run slowly, and sometimes it won't work at all. The 'layman' understands that. :-)

Stewart
8th July 2010, 09:46 AM
What a bargain for a mobile phone.......:Whistle::thud:

Not the best when your talking (no pun intended) of near £600 for the year. I’m on three just now and got a free phone and was only on £15 a month. I’m a very light user.
Only good thing after the first year its would be £240 so only £60 more than my Nokia just now for the year. Its that initial buying of the dam thing.
I'd be happy to go 24 Months on the contract if the price of the phone came down.

The Dogfather
8th July 2010, 10:18 AM
Absolutely! In the same way that a lot of people with the 3 initially claimed that the 3G was not anough of a performance hike, and that the 3 was fast enough for them - only to buy a 3G a couple of months later.

New software is coded for current models - sometimes it will run on older hardware without problems, often it will run slowly, and sometimes it won't work at all. The 'layman' understands that. :-)

Sorry, I beg to differ. I know from first hand because of the job I do.

The feedback from staff with a 3GS who been loaned a 4G so far has been that they don't see a big enough jump in performance to justify upgrading, yet. I'm a techie(ish) and having used one I'm happy with my 3GS at the moment. I'm not saying its not worth getting one when you come to renew your contract but some people are paying big fees to upgrade early, which at the moment seems madness.

GCA3N
8th July 2010, 10:33 AM
Not the best when your talking (no pun intended) of near £600 for the year. I’m on three just now and got a free phone and was only on £15 a month. I’m a very light user.
Only good thing after the first year its would be £240 so only £60 more than my Nokia just now for the year. Its that initial buying of the dam thing.
I'd be happy to go 24 Months on the contract if the price of the phone came down.

The thing is stu it's not just a phone, it's way way more. It's a pocket lap top and games machine and GPS, and sat nav and camera and camcorder, well the list goes on.....oh and a phone:lol:

Wul
8th July 2010, 11:21 AM
Wow - never expect such an excited debate on a "talkie thing" ;) Well.....might need to pop into the O2 store for a play.

Apparently Tesco Mobile is just O2 rebadged as they use the same network (and coverage).:confused:

GCA3N
8th July 2010, 11:41 AM
Apparently Tesco Mobile is just O2 rebadged as they use the same network (and coverage).:confused:

Never new that,.

Mon the fish
8th July 2010, 12:25 PM
Sorry, I beg to differ. I know from first hand because of the job I do.

The feedback from staff with a 3GS who been loaned a 4G so far has been that they don't see a big enough jump in performance to justify upgrading, yet. I'm a techie(ish) and having used one I'm happy with my 3GS at the moment. I'm not saying its not worth getting one when you come to renew your contract but some people are paying big fees to upgrade early, which at the moment seems madness.

Completely agree. I've got a jailbroken 3GS, and there just isn't that much difference to justify paying £200+ to change, for show-off purposes!

Wul
8th July 2010, 01:35 PM
Never new that,.

LINKY TO ARTICLE (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/phones/2009/11/tesco-mobile-next-to-sell-apple-iphone-)

:smilewinkgrin:

GCA3N
8th July 2010, 02:52 PM
I have to say paul the 3GS with the new OS 4 software is just the buisness and I have noticed a huge difference. Kim (the missus) has the 3G and TBH might even revert it back to the OS 3 as it has made little or no difference in fact it feels slower at times.

jdl_1967
8th July 2010, 06:29 PM
As has been said in this topic already, the iPhone is far more than a phone and I certainly don't mind paying a few hundred quid for it. Also at the end of your contract you can flog it to buy your next one. I just sold my 18 month old 16GB 3G for £262 on eBay, which paid for my new 4 and left me with £100 in my pocket!

Fartin Martin
8th July 2010, 06:47 PM
My 3GS isn't working properly and feels very slow since undating the software! :confused:

any ideas folks?..sorry for the kinda off-topicness! :p

AndyP & Lenore
8th July 2010, 06:54 PM
Had a wee play with an iPhone 4 today in Orange shop.

I prefer the shape of this one, being a bit more squared rather than the slopey edges. And yes the screen looked lovely. I'm sure the HD movies and the better camera pics are a real improvement, but tbh, I saw little to sway me towards the new model over the 3GS. It may be even faster than the 3GS, but again with os4 mine is even faster than it was with os3.

Having said all that, I know if I was going for one now, I'd go for the iphone 4 because it's the latest and I'm a "must have latest" techno geek. When I can afford it.

A.

AndyP & Lenore
8th July 2010, 06:55 PM
My 3GS isn't working properly and feels very slow since undating the software! :confused:

any ideas folks?..sorry for the kinda off-topicness! :p

Martin, I've had no problems since upgrading.

A.

jdl_1967
8th July 2010, 07:01 PM
My 3G almost ground to a halt after updating to iOS4, but I thought the 3GS was fine with it. You could try reinstalling 3.1.3 from an old back up that you will have in iTunes and see how it is then, and then reinstalling iOS4 again perhaps.

Fartin Martin
8th July 2010, 07:25 PM
I'll give that a bash man..cheers!! :D

bry_mini
10th July 2010, 07:33 PM
wish i had know the tesco tariffs before i bought mine, there deals are unbeatable!

euan
12th July 2010, 04:49 PM
My view on it - if I'd had a 3Gs I'd not have bothered doing the upgrade unless I got enough money for the 3Gs to make it zero cost. From a 3 though, it's well worth it.

It's a lovely thing to use, very fast and no issues at all with it (you can replicate the reception issue but not once I'd put it in a case).