PDA

View Full Version : Flags for ariels ?

R7 ETH
6th July 2004, 04:39 PM
I saw a good few of you at Arbroath with Scotland Flags even RNLI (weefozzy) flags. I would like a scotland flag for my next meet. Where abouts did you lot get them ??

Heather
6th July 2004, 05:00 PM
You can get them in hellfrauds and most service stations. Plenty of places on the net too.

Wul
6th July 2004, 05:02 PM
or go to any touristy type shop and buy a flag on a wooden stick for about a £1 and remove the stick - hey presto! :D

Gismo
6th July 2004, 05:26 PM
I think Gareth means the littler ones, not the material type, the :I harder version 8)

mgemie
6th July 2004, 07:18 PM
I've got a few saltire flags for my bee-sting aerial which I bought online. I went for fabric flags since they were better quality than other, cheaper versions. One thing I found though - if you keep the flag on the aerial for any long length of time the fabric starts to fray... I solved this with stitching/reinforcing the edges of my fabric flags and it now stays perfect while driving at high speeds :cool:;)

Try www.worldsouvenirs.co.uk for fabric 9"x6" saltire flags which are perfect for aerials...and not too expensive either!

Smurf
6th July 2004, 08:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

or go to any touristy type shop and buy a flag on a wooden stick for about a £1 and remove the stick - hey presto! :D

Thats what I did - some service station somewhere - then a little insulating tape to hold it in place.

It's fabric, and it frays a little, but it's hemmed, so this isn't too hard to repair after a run.

Happy shopping!

Sheilz
7th July 2004, 06:27 AM
I got my foam ones in halfords. They had both the saltire and the lion rampant. The good thing about either of these is they are less likely to be vandalized or nicked by kids. I believe the minnie mouse ones disappear quick.

Smurf
7th July 2004, 03:57 PM
I only put my flag on for runs.
The rest of the time it lives on it's own stick, hanging in the back window from the rear seatbelt 'hole' !

I wouldn't dare leave anything on the car, the wee neds would break the ariel getting it off....

R7 ETH
7th July 2004, 04:31 PM
Cheers guys i just ordered one from www.worldsouvenirs.co.uk a whole £2.03 and thats delivered.

Maxxed Ross
8th July 2004, 12:24 AM
We got one of the 'on a wooden stick' ones a while back, then forgot to put it on for the run. doh! :p

X30YES
8th July 2004, 03:14 AM
The symbol of a lion has been used as a heraldic device for many centuries by

Scottish Kings. William I of Scotland ( 1165 - 1214 ) was known as 'The Lion',

after he introduced the lion symbol into his coat of arms.

The Scottish lion has always been shown, on the royal shield, as being Rampant,

ie: shown standing erect on the hind legs with the head in profile and forelegs extended.

There is a suggestion that perhaps the Kings of Scotland kept a real lion when in residence at the

castles of Stirling and Edinburgh. Both castles have a building within the walls

known as ' The Lions Den'.

The other "Saltire"... It has been believed by generations of Scotsmen that the national flag, the white saltire on a blue background, the oldest flag in Europe, originated in a battle fought here in Athelstaneford in the Dark Ages between the Picts and Scots on the one side and the Angles of Northumbria on the other.There are various versions of the tale to be found in the older Scottish historians. They are generally agreed, however, that an army of the Picts under their King Angus (or Hungus) aided by a contingent of the Scots was invading Lothian (then and for long afterwards Northumbrian territory), and found itself surrounded by an overwhelming force of the Angles under their leader Athelstan. King Angus and his host prayed earnestly for deliverance to God and the saints. That night St. Andrew ( the Patron Saint of Scotland ) appeared to the king and promised him victory.

Next day. when battle was joined, the vision of a white saltire (the diagonal cross on which the Apostle had been martyred) was seen by all against the blue sky. This so encouraged the Picts and Scots and affrighted their adversaries that the former won a signal victory.
History lesson over .